Roberto Di Matteo

meme

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

If RDM is our manager, I'll back him. Wasn't my first choice, but I'd rather him than a chancer like Sherwood.

I agree  I can't help but feel given the work required we have gone for RDM / but we need to get behind him IF this is the Drs choice. It's going to be a very tough season ahead I feel to challenge.

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

RDM has achieved so much more than Sherwood. It's like comparing Manchester United to Barnsley 

Hope he bodes well for us  I agree RDM is a step up from Sherwood but not the heights you elude too.

more like Manchester to Queen of the South

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

Hope he bodes well for us  I agree RDM is a step up from Sherwood but not the heights you elude too.

more like Manchester to Queen of the South

The last manager we abbreviated to 3 letters did quite well (at the start) - good omens and all that.

39 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree to some extent as Pearson has moved around clubs quite frequently.

Two years at Leicester in his first spell. Four years in his second spell there. He also had 18 months and two summer transfer windows at Hull.

Getting this back to RDM he had a year at MK Dons and 18 months at WBA. Chelsea and Shalke he was only at for around 8 months in both.

That is my major reservation with RDM is that he hasn't got much experience in building a squad. The Albion side he got promoted in 2009/10 was pretty much the same squad that got relegated the previous season. He won't have that luxury here and will have to make major changes. As I have said previously that doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing so but we have no evidence to show that he can.

This is a huge task for anyone and I am just not sure if we should have gone down the path of a manger with more experience. Big club just relegated, needing a massive rebuild and an owner with huge expectations it seems to be promoted, given what he apparently said that if the team is not in the top six the manager can be sacked, is a heavy burden for any manager to carry let alone one who has very little experience and has managed for 16 months in the last 5 and half years. You look at Newcastle another big club that have just been relegated and who they will have managing them and you have to say that is a far safer pair of hands.

Maybe it was unrealistic to think we could get someone with vast experience and proven pedigree. I don't know but I think if what Xia says can be backed up then we should have been capable of attracting Moyes or even prizing Allardyce away from Sunderland.

All of the above isn't to say that I think RDM will fail because I don't. There are many things I like about his CV, the promotion with the baggies, his handling of some big players/characters at Chelsea and getting the best out them to win the ultimate prize, is a big plus for me. This is just such a huge challenge here though that will come with pressure, certainly from the owner, that I just hope RDM has enough in his locker to make it a success.

Given his lack of experience in buying players then what would make me far more confident is if someone came in above/alongside him with a proven track record in this regard. Given what Xia said about scouting this will hopefully be the case. To also give him a fair chance then the sooner he is appointed the better as there is just so much to do here that every day lost makes the job, certainly of competing next season, that bit harder. Just ten weeks today until the season kicks off.

Good analysis. Couldn't have said it any better. 

This is Tony's first major decision, he will want this to come off and will certainly be demanding success. This comes with slot of pressure. On the other hand, he'll be willing to spend a fair bit to help RDM out in transfers to get this success.

Hopefully everything work out. Ideally we woul have had RDM in a few months ago to work with the squad for a few games and work out the weak links.

We've wasted basically all of our advantage of being relegated early. Somehow Newcastle have held onto Rafa so I'd make them the team to beat next year. Hopefully RDM can perform as well as his CV suggests, and perform from day one

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Had Garde had lead us to safety, would he have not deserved massive credit for that? Hypothetically of course. 

I'm not a huge RDM fan by any stretch, I have serious doubts for many reasons, but the clamour to diminish his achievements is quite strange. 

I think you've missed the point I said it wasn't his team but he managed to get the excisting players to perform so deserved credit for that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What experience does Pearson have in building a club? I think this is a bit of a myth.

Ask the current champions they remember him in his first spell getting them out of league 1 with a record points tally and then in the championship playoffs first year. Then upon his return stabilising them and getting them prompted and surviving in the PL.  Both sides exhibited a very strong resilience and willingness to work hard, exactly what we need. 

I really dont don't get the snobbery over him from sections of our support, his son got him the sack at Leicester not his ability to manage a team. I think he'll have Derby up within 2 years, I really think we've missed a trick not getting him as he was perfect for the situation we're in. RDM is a gamble, his career as a manager is littered with patches of inconsistency with teams losing 3-4 on the bounce.

Edited by Fairy In Boots
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, momo said:

Pearson all the way. Matteo is more like Tony Barton. Winning a cup he can with a bit of luck, but maybe, just maybe, not the one to take the team up from the championship. But that's just my opinion.

When we are in a position to turn down a Tony Barton type, we certainly won't be looking at Pearson.

Please don't put stuff in here that diminishes Tony Barton, it makes me sad.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Woodytom said:

So it was AVB that won the CL?

Weren't chelsea 3-1 down to Napoli after a last 16 first leg tie?

Also, wasn't RDM the assistant all season. Fair to say he had some influence on the squad?

But let's think about your point regarding GARDE. Your basically saying that Garde shouldn't be shouldered with the blame for relegation because it wasn't his squad. It's a belief that goes across football that managers should be given a bit of leeway for not achieving goals with squads that aren't there's....... Garde is an example. Klopp etc.

With that in mind, shouldn't RDM be given more credit for succeeding with a squad that wasn't his.

Or should would we just take each scenario on its own merit and throw in a bit of common sense for good measure.

Chelsea were 3-1 down to napoli I believe. He brought back terry, lamps and a couple of others for the 2nd leg. Had been left out by AVB. And they ended up battering napoli 4-1 or something.

I think it's fair to say that RDM played his part in the CL win.

So NO you never read the rest of the post!! If you're only going to highlight segments of a post to argue against why bother?? RDM never bought the players he never built the team but he got them playing after the players fell out with AVB which is what I said! I wasn't basically saying anything I asked a question but again you pick segments. You're basically saying RDM can bring back Gabby Richards and Guzan and we'll win the Championship?