Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, hippo said:

They've said pretty much the opposite. There aren't any redevelopment plans in the near future. Pretty sure Purslow said it at one of the forums.

I know. As much as I want it to happen I can't see it happening for a long time. The North Stand coud well still be standing by 2030. At that rate it could be listed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

The Spurs stadium showcases how you can have a semi wrap around upper tier whilst retaining the 4 separate stands identity.

My semi wouldn’t wrap around an upper tier. Your Mrs  must be pleased 

• Haha 4

On 14/08/2020 at 16:45, The Fun Factory said:

I know. As much as I want it to happen I can't see it happening for a long time. The North Stand coud well still be standing by 2030. At that rate it could be listed.

I hope not or it moves into a great area of difficulty if that happens.

Hopefully by then it might be redeveloped?

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I hope not or it moves into a great area of difficulty if that happens.

Hopefully by then it might be redeveloped?

Wouldn’t that be the perfect symbol of Birmingham planning policies over the last 50-60 years.  Approve the demolition of the old Trinity but forbid the demolition of the North!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
42 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Will the owners redevelop VP or would they prefer to build a new stadium? 

Purslow has said that we will never move from Villa Park under this ownership group, and that it's something they are completely against.

He's also said that at the moment, there are no plans to redevelop VP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Purslow has said that we will never move from Villa Park under this ownership group, and that it's something they are completely against.

He's also said that at the moment, there are no plans to redevelop VP.

So basically the same viewpoint from 4 different owners in the past 20 odd years then.

When the new trinity was built the intention was to carry on around the North Stand if the demand was there. It wasn't, and it didn't happen. Lerner said a few things before getting romantically nourished and Dr Tony wanted a 60,000 Villa Park as we would shortly have become one of the worlds top 3 football clubs. Then a pig flew by.

Maybe in 10 years time we might have a new North Stand. In the short and medium term definitely not.  Covid could well depress crowds for quite a few years and we are not yet 100% reestablished as a premier league team.

If people are not aware we do have  an application in to Birmingham Council for a additional  football academy at the staff car park near Witton Station, so the owners are not exactly twiddling their thumbs.

On 13/08/2020 at 15:49, MrBlack said:

What is this? Genuine question... artists impression? Architects design? Fan photoshop effort?

Either way,  no to filled in corners from me. Putting all the obvious objectives aside, what stand do you even qualify as sitting in if you're in that second tier that extends the length of the corner? 

Bit of a late reply as this thread goes slowly. I think this image was around the time of the 2018 World Cup bid, so Villa Park could have looked like this had Qatar not bribed, sorry, won, the bid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So hot on the heels of Spurs building a new stadium, Everton have permission granted for a new stadium which looks like it's going to happen. 

Brentford have just opened their new stadium. 

Anfield is about to get a new stand. 

Forest are about to build a new stand.  Fulham are in the middle of building a new stand. 

Our owners say it doesn't pay, so why are all these other clubs investing in their stadiums? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So hot on the heels of Spurs building a new stadium, Everton have permission granted for a new stadium which looks like it's going to happen. 

Forest are about to build a new stand.  Fulham are in the middle of building a new stand. 

Our owners say it doesn't pay, so why are all these other clubs investing in their stadiums? 

Is there really demand to make VP 50k+ at the mo?  Maybe if our progress continues at this rate ahead of schedule they might look into it in a couple of years.  I'm not sure there is much point rebuilding the North Stand for something a similar size.  I guess Fulham can make a fortune in hospitality having a shiny new stand right on the Thames, the City Ground is a shithole and needs updating, Everton and Spurs I guess would be very difficult to expand their old grounds but I suspect the money involved might well be a hindrance in the medium term, Brentford aren't really comparable to us, I'm surprised Liverpool have taken this long to expand considering theyve been in the Champions League for yonks.

48 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They were telling stories of Evertons shit corporate facilities on the VP stadium tour 10 years ago

We don't have the issues that they do 

We have the opposite, non match day space and facilities that aren't fully utilised, it's not about the extra 10k fans we could get on 19 Saturdays a year it's about the prawn sandwich eaters and getting people in on the other 346 days of the year, we have far better facilities than Everton and spurs had and that's why it doesn't pay

Lerner should have gone harder for the football league museum, or the Dr built his theme park... 

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is there really demand to make VP 50k+ at the mo?  Maybe if our progress continues at this rate ahead of schedule they might look into it in a couple of years.  I'm not sure there is much point rebuilding the North Stand for something a similar size.  I guess Fulham can make a fortune in hospitality having a shiny new stand right on the Thames, the City Ground is a shithole and needs updating, Everton and Spurs I guess would be very difficult to expand their old grounds but I suspect the money involved might well be a hindrance in the medium term, Brentford aren't really comparable to us, I'm surprised Liverpool have taken this long to expand considering theyve been in the Champions League for yonks.

40k fans in every game for the 18 months we could see games live suggests....yes.

And demand is hardly going to go down when people can go again and we hopefully finish top half.

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is there really demand to make VP 50k+ at the mo?  

I would say so given how big our waiting list 'was' for getting a season ticket.

If Villa Park became a 60k seater stadium we will safely fill that week in week out - and that's before we even get back into playing in European competitions.

I think the owners will be keen to test the post C-19 landscape before committing to any development. The impact on employment and the wider economy is totally unknown. Add in the uncertainty created by Brexit and now is a risky time to re-develop the ground. 
I think it will happen under these guys at some stage but not just now. It’s a shame because in many ways the past 12 months would have been the perfect time to do it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would say so given how big our waiting list 'was' for getting a season ticket.

If Villa Park became a 60k seater stadium we will safely fill that week in week out - and that's before we even get back into playing in European competitions.

Given the current layout to get to 60,000 would cost a awful lot of money and probably a lot of bought up properties with all the legal issues that comes from it.  50K is more than realistic.

I probably repeat myself every month or so on this thread but it is frustrating as for years we have had all this space behind the North Stand, ready to do something really spectacular.

In the meantime Spurs (who I used to think was a similar sized club) have gone from the old WHL which was surrounded by light industry buildings and seemingly very little options to expand, to a 60,000 super stadium. Including a cheese room.

However one of the problems is that stands behind the goal generate far less coprorate revenue than the side main stands. Fulham for example is building a very swanky riverside stand which is side to the pitch but is keeping the putney and hammersmith ends the same which is bascially temporary seating over an old terrace. It isn't a suprise that Anfield  looked at the  main stand first which personally I think now makes the stadium look very uneven and towers over the Kop.

Also location Aston/Witton is still a run down area. The Commonwealth Games may help a bit but it is out of the city centre which is where all the development is happening along with HS2. It will be a hard sell to get people to stay in a new hotel/have big corporate events/ visit a football museum and have a meal  on non match days.

The board have consistently said that they are not interested in this so this will just remain aspirational talks. At least they are planning other developments such as the work at Bodymoor, the new urban academy and the possibility of demolishing Villa Village for something else.

If we are ever to do something I would like to see a complete rebuild rather than just adding seats in the corner. The North Stand has served us well but it is a 70s building which is very cramped and tired looking tbh.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I’d rather the money keep going into the team at the moment and once we have some sustained top half of the table, understand the impacts of covid and a strong squad then look at the ground.  

It’s not as if we have a small capacity.  In my 40 years of following the Villa we haven’t really had massive over demand for games over capacity.  Yes you can say we sell out against big clubs, yes we’ve had many full houses especially against big teams but for the debt we would have to service to raise the stadium size another 10-15k I’m not sure the case is there yet.

I know it’s a chicken and egg situation, that we need a stadium size increase for when we are good but we also need to be good to fill the stadium.  I think we keep investing in the team as the priority, start getting big money from Europe and League placing along with the commercial revenue that follows and then think about the stadium.

We don’t how the new covid world either will pan out, there maybe more virtual game watching than going to grounds. How are the clubs going to ticket price after the financial fallout of covid because many people are in debt and won’t be able to afford to go back to games especially if on tv.

l’d love Villa Park to be >60k but our priority has to be totally on the team for the next couple of years and invest totally in that for the big spend so we can make sure we are solidify back at the top end of football

Â