Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Love, love, love Villa Park!❤️

It is Aston Villa as we all know it, loved by Villa fans and fans from other clubs…but….commercially it doesn’t fit into the equation, unfortunately 

Brutal, but football is all about money now 

💜🩵

Edited by Vincenzo

52 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I'm not trying to be smart but the current location has been home to a large stadium for 125 years, at times, when it was one of the largest grounds in England.

Villa park was very different back then. It could hold twice as many people as it can now and there was no need for it to be bringing in revenue from other sources. We now need it to be multi-use with a large capacity.

The current site is sandwiched between two roads with residential housing in close proximity, limited parking  and is in an area which has one of the highest crime rates in the city. Its not really conducive to attracting masses of the paying public to fund the club's growth.

The more I think about it, the more I think that people may be right in that we will try to buy the houses behind the DE stand and build a new stand behind it, before doing the North Stand.  Assuming we will still host games at Euro 28 it gives us 4 years to buy up the properties, get a design together with planning permission and start building after the tournament.  I think we can just ask for an extension of the North Stand planning permission and build it after.  Hopefully we just offer the residents life-changing money and a new home rather than getting a CPO.

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

The New Premium seats at Villa Park

Fans watch Troyes vs Rennes from pitch-side HOT TUB and sink beers as  supporters brand French league 'best ever' | The Sun

Fans watch Troyes vs Rennes from pitch-side HOT TUB and sink beers as  supporters brand French league 'best ever' | The Sun

Last time I went to Old Trafford in the rain I got that wet (ooer) from their shitty roof. I'm not sure it was even raining, I think it was local, Ten Hag panic desperation in the atmosphere. Or Bruno crying, because he looks like a chipmunk without a barber or a dentist. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think we would have easily sold 50,000 tickets yesterday for the Olympiacos game, and that's without it going to general sale. Probably 55-60k with general sale. 

There are probably 8 games a season where we could easily sell 60k tickets for a game.  The rest we can probably sell 50k tickets. 

Part of the issue is because everyone knows that tickets get sold out so quickly, most casual fans don't even bother trying to get tickets.

I am not sure  we could regularly fill over 50k, nevermind 60k.

Our fan base is fickle and not that dedicated when results drop off.

When in Championship our average attendance was 32k, while Newcastles was 51k...98% capacity of their stadium.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Czarnikjak said:

When in Championship our average attendance was 32k, while Newcastles was 51k...98% capacity of their stadium.

Thats poor isnt it! Compared to Newcastle 

23 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Those are numbers without context though. We had a lot fans silently protesting ownership of the club too.

Edited by Villa_Vids

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Those are numbers are without context though. We had a lot fans silently protesting ownership of the club too.

Newcastle fans didn't exactly love Ashley either from what I remember.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Those are numbers without context though. We had a lot fans silently protesting ownership of the club too.

I don't remember anybody protesting Xia in his first season when he was spending money left, right and center. I think you making this up.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

If access to and from the stadium was fixed and ticket prices were appropriate we'd fill 60K every week. Charge £20 for match tickets and see how much demand skyrockets. Attendances are all relative. Our model will be to reduce affordable tickets and get 45K tourist fans in the door spending on merch. 

25 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Same as all things with Newcastle attendances compared to ours - how many viable alternatives were there to those 51k fans? 

I know a few ST holders who walked away, started going to kiddy harriers and have actually never gone back to villa, I'm sure harriers, Stourbridge, bromsgrove etc etc all enjoyed small boosts as villa fans drifted away, I'm sure there's a few on here who started going to Walsall games, I'd guess Gateshead and blythe did too but as always villa have more than them lot up on their island did

And FWIW I walked away under Bruce and haven't gone back 

18 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I don't remember anybody protesting Xia in his first season when he was spending money left, right and center. I think you making this up.

There were a small number of critics, but most fans were so relieved the Lerner era was over that there was active hostility to the red flags that he was a fraud

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

We're not fickle, we just don't like losing!

• Haha 1

Just now, Czarnikjak said:

I am not making this up. I said "silently" protesting. I.E we don't fully believe in the leadership or direction of the club. Prior to Xia - we had years of poor football/results at VP, bad owner, poor managers, poor players which alienated fans. Trust was broken. There is no context to your original post. Most clubs will have big attendance dips if they had the years of decline and experiences that we had. 

People were questioning Xia from the outset, then we had not so popular managerial appointments added on top with poor football. It is important to remember we were still one of the highest attended clubs in the championship (over 30k), if not the highest by the time of our return to the top flight. This is always never considered but only that our support is "fickle". Our core support is loyal.

Our attendances rocketed under NSWE and Smith in the championship to over 40k, which showed our attendances can be increased when trust is regained with the wider fan base. IF we had that set up after Lerner, we would have had over 40k in our first championship season imo.

The capacity increase is about finding that sweet spot inbetween 50k-60k imo.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If access to and from the stadium was fixed and ticket prices were appropriate we'd fill 60K every week. Charge £20 for match tickets and see how much demand skyrockets. Attendances are all relative. Our model will be to reduce affordable tickets and get 45K tourist fans in the door spending on merch. 

I think we'd fill 60k each week even if we charged £35 for Cat B and £50 for Cat A games.

Even if only 25% of the almost 40,000 season ticket waiting actually took up a season ticket, that takes our average attendance from 41k to 51k. 

Add in 2,000 extra corporate seats, and that only leaves an extra 7,000 tickets on general sale for us to fill a 60k stadium every match.

2 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

We'd been through 10 years of being dog awful and were pretty much continuing that in The Championship. 

As soon the wins started to flow they had to reopen the top of the Trinity Stand.

Those dark days weren't a moment in time, they were the conclusion of a decade of awfulness. 

• Like 4

We averaged 40k in I think 2008-2009 but attendances fell off a cliff when McLeish was appointed and didn't recover until Dean Smith was appointed.

I think we would fill 50k most weeks but if they keep ramping up prices the vicious cycle will kick in and will force some to quit going. That's why I don't  like the noises- cancelling a new stand, and announcing more corporate in an existing stadium that isn't big enough.

• Like 2

Â