Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Rumours going around that HS2 will be cancelled if Boris becomes PM. 

Leaves a nice sized hole in the city centre for a stadium perhaps?

Rumours are rumours.. 

It would be political suicide to cancel it now and he's already reigned in his rhetoric on cancelling it. 

He's full of shit and sound bytes (aka lies) 

When mayor of London he was a champion of it and put his claim on thousands of jobs and redevelopment of new homes at Old Oak Common. 

It will not be canceled under his or anyone else's watch, it's not only too far gone but too far needed, existing lines are full to capacity and he knows it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Rumours going around that HS2 will be cancelled if Boris becomes PM. 

Leaves a nice sized hole in the city centre for a stadium perhaps?

TBH, I wouldn't be averse to a relocation to another site in the Birmingham area. I know it's a very polarising idea and plenty of fans would get pretty narked at the idea of leaving Villa Park.

However, I don't look at it any differently to how I look at homes. I've moved out of places that, despite them being perfect for a long time and held great memories, didn't meet the changed needs of the time.

Lots of people do it.

Some dregs have lots of kids through inbreeding and incest so need a largish house. Then through benefit cuts, the anti-social behaviour leading to the offspring being jailed and them being evicted for being filthy ASBO flypaper, they have to downsize. We call these people Birmingham City FC. Or, more accurately, the filth. And wherever they go and however many or few of them there are, they will always be the filth because that is their history and that is their future.

Others live in a grand Victorian manor, are well held in society, are productive socially, entrepreneurial and hugely successful, become very, very rich and are very, very fertile so they have lots of offspring. We call these people Aston Villa Football Club. However, they find that even their huge and grand Victorian manor isn't large enough for their current and future needs and the area has gone down the shitter. So they decide to build themselves a mahoosive palace a few miles away to accommodate their burgeoning family and their new friends. And wherever they go and however many of them there are, they will always be Aston Villa Football Club because that is their history and that is their future.

Let's be quite clear. I'm in no way advocating a move of any significant distance, acting like some US franchise, like Wimbledon going to Milton Keynes by moving more than a few miles from Aston. However, going to somewhere with a big space and good transport routes in has a lot to recommend it.

Anything can be done these days, there's a stadium in Brisbane, Australia called Lang Park only used to seat 34,000 they redeveloped it 20 years ago and now seats 55,000, and a very similar footprint to Villa Park.

Personally, I would rather stay Villa Park and redevelop it to a 60,000+ seater, with the modern conveniences etc.

• Like 4

We should not be thinking about moving away from Villa park under ANY circumstance. Every team in the league apart from Liverpool and Man Utd would give their left nut for our history.

All we need is a grand plan to turn villa park into a 65k stadium. That’s relatively easy by putting a Super Holte with rail seating (the way it should have been) to replace the North Stand and a sympathetic huge Old Trinity replacement where the Doug Ellis is.

Fill the corners in and job done.

At the same time get the council to improve the transport links on the basis that you’re willing to spend 200m+ on regenerating the area. 

I

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Rumours are rumours.. 

It would be political suicide to cancel it now and he's already reigned in his rhetoric on cancelling it. 

He's full of shit and sound bytes (aka lies) 

When mayor of London he was a champion of it and put his claim on thousands of jobs and redevelopment of new homes at Old Oak Common. 

It will not be canceled under his or anyone else's watch, it's not only too far gone but too far needed, existing lines are full to capacity and he knows it. 

I'm surprised that it's not a political suicide for anyone to still carry on with the HS2 project, but I guess that's a discussion for a different thread ;)

10 hours ago, hippo said:

I dont think we will ever develop villa park. Its in such a poor area - and so few of our attending fans live in the local area.

The future is away from Aston. Longbridge would have been ideal - we could then pull fans in from Barnt green, alvechurch, bromsgrove etc...and the increased revenue targeting those fans would bring. 

Just no.

11 hours ago, hippo said:

I dont think we will ever develop villa park. Its in such a poor area - and so few of our attending fans live in the local area.

The future is away from Aston. Longbridge would have been ideal - we could then pull fans in from Barnt green, alvechurch, bromsgrove etc...and the increased revenue targeting those fans would bring. 

I genuinely hope we never, ever, do that.

No. 

What nonsense.

Far too much history where we are my lad. 

Out of interest, Have you ever educated yourself from 1874 onwards?

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Oh yeah now you are talking.....build a new stadium :)

And we don't need any new stadium.

We have enough land in and around Villa Park to make our existing stadium a 70k+ seater with all the trimmings if needed, no problem.

I hate these new stadiums - Riverside, Pride Park, Emirates, Stadium of White, King Power, Spurs etc..

Founders of league football move house... behave!

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Are people seriously talking about moving to a new stadium??? 🤮

I swear, if we ever do that I'd lose interest in going. Villa Park is our home. It's our identity. A ground is what makes a club. As good as Spurs' new stadium is, if I was a Tottenham fan I'd be gutted at losing the old ground. And as for West Ham, if they weren't such a scummy club I'd feel sorry for them.

But especially when that ground is as unique and steeped in history as ours. I detest this new design of "bowl' americanised stadium. The traditional 4 stands is how it should be. Never, under any circumstances should we ever consider leaving our home. End of.

Hear hear!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Villa Park is one of Villa's USP. It is centrally located next to the motorway and to 2 railway stations. We have enough room to do all sorts of imaginative projects if we can re-establish ourselves again. I don't think we will be moving.

We have the space front and back (Holte and North) but it's the two sides that are limiting, particularly the Witton side, not sure we can do much more with them.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

44 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Even know when I walk up to the stadium on a night game, I get the same feeling inside that I used to get when I was a kid. It's magical.

Yep, there's nothing quite like it. Even the thought of moving to new ground makes me feel ill.

Â