Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

3 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Cant believe people are moaning about the potential aesthetics to be honest.

We finally have owners who are increasing the capacity at Villa park and "filling in" the gaps around a new North Stand. 

you can't have it all. to make it more aesthetically pleasing would probably compromise something else i.e. the additional seats or space in the concourse area.

• Like 1

Very excited by this. 

@OutByEaster? I’m sure you’ll get inundated with questions, but have they given an indication of when the stand will actually be complete? They say it’s a 2023-25 project, so I’m assuming it’ll be ready for the 2025-6 season? Will the Villa Live (agree it’s not a great name) be completed sooner, as I imagine it’s a much simpler project?

It looks fine, looks like a food hall concept which is absolutely where they should be heading 

Anybody saying leisure centre is looking straight past the curtain walling and use of borrowed light let alone whatever that ceiling detail is meant to be, looks like a nice big open airy well lit with natural light space 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

From looking at it now and thinking more about it  surely we should take more advantage of the only end where we are not compromised by land.  Fair enough if we think 50k will do us for many years , but maybe to think a bit bolder and go further up in the sky and get to say 55k would be great. 

I’m sure I read a couple of months back that this is only phase 1. Ultimately the target is 60,000.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It looks fine, looks like a good hall concept which is absolutely where they should be heading 

Anybody saying leisure centre is looking straight past the curtain walling and use of borrowed light let alone whatever that ceiling detail is meant to be, looks like a nice big open airy well lit with natural light space 

I said that and I meant it. So much is going to depend on materials though I appreciate they're only rough renders right now.  I hope it changes significantly from this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It looks fine, looks like a good hall concept which is absolutely where they should be heading 

I said that and I meant it. So much is going to depend on materials though I appreciate they're only rough renders right now.  I hope it changes significantly from this. 

32 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

At least they’re not turning it into another Star City which I was a bit concerned about when the last survey started talking about cinemas etc.

I wouldn’t take too much from the pics, they’re very basic. 

Not keen on the name Villa Live, it sounds more like a digital space rather than a physical space. Fans could have come up with better.

“Villa Live” is a code name, so I’m pretty sure a name that sounds nothing like Birmingham Live, will be the final title. As they’re definitely trying to promote it as a city wide and beyond venue, perhaps they could go with “B6” or “B6 at Villa Park”. 

The initial pics aren’t particularly inspiring but this is very much a consultation exercise. I’d imagine there will be various designs based on the briefs CP mentioned. Architects will be queuing up to design it but none of them will want to give any clues away as to what their ideas are.

From the club’s point of view, they can send out these bland proposals as part of the process, then wow city planners and fans alike with something amazing in a few months time. They don’t want something out there that’s quite good and then tweak it to the final design, losing the impact wow factor when they formally announce the new stand at the “north end of our stadium”, as CP carefully described it. 

My only concern for it is that the club have to use better vendors than what they use inside the ground

If this place is selling polystyrene trays of chips and curry sauce then forget it, it'll just cheapen the place and make it horrible

This space shouldn't an extension of the concourse it should be something better 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The fans consultancy group were invited to a meeting on this last night and I can add my two pennies later, but I'd say that aesthetically, the designs don't blow me away, and it seems a shame that they're putting the Villa Live building right in front of the facade of the grand new stand - but the final look and feel of the outside of both buildings isn't yet completed - they're still considering materials and finishes - which is why they're looking for people to add to the survey. 

Functionally though, these plans are excellent - opening up the Brookvale site so that it becomes an extension of Villa Park on matchdays, the expanded capacity, eight times the number of hospitality places in the new North than the old North stand, the ability to have the Villa Live building as a concert venue with a capacity of more than 2,500, or as a place to watch games on a big screen for a couple of thousand fans, loads more spaces for the type of stuff that happens pre-match outside the Trinity at the moment, a big open space around the corner of North and Doug, much bigger and better concourses and a two tier stand that reflects the Holte and is reasonably similar to it in size and shape to give VP balance.

The size of the concourses within the new stand are a world away from the Doug Ellis, with natural light and a load more space and the pitch side view will be amazing.

Personally I think more can be done around the way it looks from the outside, but there's some really good stuff about the way it will work and what it will provide in terms of the matchday experience.*

(Sorry about the phrase "matchday experience" I realise that it makes me sound like a knob)

Wow. Are they actually looking to reroute Witton Lane now then to create this large space to the rear of the DE? 

Are the design pictures you saw the same as these or the more detailed ones they are to release shortly? 

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Can't believe people are moaning. Design choice on the outside and how it looks won't be confirmed yet..it's the plan and overall structure that's being decided.

It looks excellent and will be at the level of other stands across the country and will bring in much more revenue.

People have to find a negative don't they.

This was all a misty dream 4 years ago. For me, the new stand is more exciting than any new player we might bring in. I can't bloody wait to see what this ends up like when it's done 😍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Can't believe people are moaning. Design choice on the outside and how it looks won't be confirmed yet..it's the plan and overall structure that's being decided.

It looks excellent and will be at the level of other stands across the country and will bring in much more revenue.

People have to find a negative don't they.

People like to moan on VT, it's the norm.

I think the plans are exciting, well overdue and the owners should be congratulated. We need to be thankful.

On catering: anyone ever visited the Allianz? I went to a European game several years ago and the food and choice on offer was amazing. They should definitely take a leaf out of their book and learn from others.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Is the absence of Witton Lane on the drawings an indication that another new stand might be the end game to get us up to 60k?

I would imagine a full rebuild or at least a large partial rebuild of the Doug Ellis (and hopefully a rename) will be a part of the process.

The concourse size, hospitality size and catering size are all too limited currently. I would imagine it will be the next part of the project and will significantly increase the capacity once complete.

• Like 1

I don't think it's moaning or negative to not want a 70s looking brown box bolted onto the end of the new stand. 

As I said I understand it's just provisional renders and hope to see something different but I'm getting big Chelmsley Wood Leisure Centre vibes from this. 

image.png.655df8f3b1d82a31cab9f5af18ef1dec.png

And I don't think plonking this right behind the stand is right, it should be well away from the stand so we can actually see it. 

Edited by sidcow

You've only got to compare the Brookvale plan view with the North Stand design image to see how preliminary these are, they don't match at all. These are all clearly early design concepts and I wouldn't be surprised if the final designs are quite significantly different aside from the basic functionality and approximate locations.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it looks great personally and am massively excited by this project

hear hear. i tend to be a pub, then straight to my seat guy but i cant wait to visit this

Â