Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

If we make the new North Stand with filled on corners and a capacity of 17.5k, with the option of the lower being set up to be easily converted to  safe standing giving us a possible 55k ground capacity.

Then the long term view is that safe standing becomes the accepted norm over the next year or two and we redo the Holte into a huge all standing single tier to take us over 60k and scare the living bejesus out of away teams and properly suck the ball into the net when in full cry. We want our proper Holte End back!! The greatest end in world football. 

• Like 1

VP will forever be compromised by its location -  part of its charm in many ways. It’s a shame we cannot look at doing a spurs and building next door due to lack of space and costs. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we make the new North Stand with filled on corners and a capacity of 17.5k, with the option of the lower being set up to be easily converted to  safe standing giving us a possible 55k ground capacity.

Then the long term view is that safe standing becomes the accepted norm over the next year or two and we redo the Holte into a huge all standing single tier to take us over 60k and scare the living bejesus out of away teams and properly suck the ball into the net when in full cry. We want our proper Holte End back!! The greatest end in world football. 

Think safe standing have to be 1-1 with seats, so it won't add capacity.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sne said:

I know this is swearing in church but moving forward VP will be holding the club back if we intent to compete with the biggest boys. Even if it's rebuild and modernized.

Hides for cover.

Pin on Marvel

• Haha 1

I don't like the idea of moving, but I've softened on it somewhat.

A series of awful decisions decimated what Villa Park should have been anyway. Just looking at pictures of the Trinity makes me angry.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

I would want it to be a new brick facade so that it retains both its uniqueness and sense of tradition , which unfortunately goes against the vast majority of modern architecture in terms of cost, speed, sustainability and maybe things like maintenance and whole life costing too

It'll be steel and glass, no doubt can be made to look stunning but it won't ever be the same as the bricks of Villa Park 

I just hope the demand for tickets stays. We have a very fickle fanbase and it wasn't so long ago we had to close an entire tier of the Trinity Road stand. I know things are good now and looking even better for the future, but I fear that once there's a hint of things going backwards, we will be left with 10k empty seats again.

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I thought it was greater than 1:1 but to be honest I don’t really know. 

I think so too

Where I've been with safe standing before the concrete is wide enough to accomodate 2 people, dortmund for example is 81k for league matches but 65k for european

Adapting existing grounds then yeah 1:1 makes sense because they've adapted the seats but not the space or the fire exits or the toilets etc etc for thr additional people 

Depends what PL clubs want it for and what the government have agreed to

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We have a very fickle fanbase and it wasn't so long ago we had to close an entire tier of the Trinity Road stand. I know things are good now and looking even better for the future, but I fear that once there's a hint of things going backwards, we will be left with 10k empty seats again

I’m not sure we do have a very fickle fan base, at all. You’re right that after multiple years of poor losing, football and relegation that the club closed the top tier of the Trinity, but even then the attendances were very decent for a mid table Championship side. As soon as we were given a bit of hope, the ground was full up and has remained so (Covid closure apart) ever since.

The thing that applies here, I think, is that the consistent level of demand for tickets means the ground isn’t big enough, either for us normal folk, or for the Corporate sector where the big money comes from. The 1970s North stand is cramped and there’s a need to improve on the facilities within it. Given all the room behind it, it’s a no brainer to replace it, really if the funding is available.

The other thing is that if we’re looking to get back into European football, or to host international competition games then a more modern and larger stadium is pretty essential.

VP is a proper football stadium, even now, but it could definitely be improved without ruining the traditional nature of the place. The support is there, the finance seems to be there, ditto the ambition. The game continues to move on with all the other club ground moves and expansions, Villa would do well not to be left behind (again).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think so too

Where I've been with safe standing before the concrete is wide enough to accomodate 2 people, dortmund for example is 81k for league matches but 65k for european

Adapting existing grounds then yeah 1:1 makes sense because they've adapted the seats but not the space or the fire exits or the toilets etc etc for thr additional people 

Depends what PL clubs want it for and what the government have agreed to

Yeah. Was going to post similar. The current trials have just allowed existing allocated seating to have rails added so the people in each seat can legally stand. If that proves to be safe and successful, then the next stage would be to build new, or significantly reconfigure existing areas designed along the German lines, I guess.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I would want it to be a new brick facade so that it retains both its uniqueness and sense of tradition , which unfortunately goes against the vast majority of modern architecture in terms of cost, speed, sustainability and maybe things like maintenance and whole life costing too

It'll be steel and glass, no doubt can be made to look stunning but it won't ever be the same as the bricks of Villa Park 

An interpretation of the proposed new Stamford bridge in red brick would be interesting. 

0D45D6E3-66DB-4DD2-8879-219B2681D17D.jpeg

56D591C5-25AA-4EB6-BA20-D46192E757F5.jpeg

Edited by thabucks

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

What would peoples preferred option be for a new north stand ? Like spurs single tier end stand or the new a field road end ? 

The theoretical max capacity for an end stand based on current regs and c-values is around 17k - current north stand capacity is just over 7k . Shame we couldn’t have built the trinity bigger as it currently seats 13.5k compared to new main stand at Anfield which seats 20.5k and the SAF stand at OT which seats 25.5k. 

8028783A-A44F-49A8-A872-AA65663907C0.jpeg

8E4790CA-D9BB-4410-954A-C275B22396D0.jpeg

The main positive about the Anfield development is they can do it while not closing the stands they've replaced.  I don't know whether having two tiers makes that easier to complete by building the top tier first then attaching it to the existing bottom tier or what.  Anyway I think it's something we should look at.  I'm more worried about the external look of the stand than the inside really.

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

An interpretation of the proposed new Stamford bridge in red brick would be interesting. 

0D45D6E3-66DB-4DD2-8879-219B2681D17D.jpeg

56D591C5-25AA-4EB6-BA20-D46192E757F5.jpeg

That looks like it would take decades to build and require thousands of slaves. Qatar soon finished so guess it would be possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don't think safe standing adds any capacity. It's just a different type of seat replacing another type of seat 1 for 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sne said:

That looks like it would take decades to build and require thousands of slaves. Qatar soon finished so guess it would be possible.

https://www.building.co.uk/news/chelsea-fc-may-buy-brickworks-to-clad-new-stadium/5081851.article

The Premier League club is considering buying a brickworks to ensure a cheap, reliable supply of bricks for the mammoth facade for the 6 million bricks needed for the Stamford Bridge revamp… Options being looked at at Stamford Bridge include attaching bricks to panels of the facade off-site before transporting them to the stadium site, rather than attaching bricks individually 

Any new stand will no doubt be brick clad with modular panels as opposed to hand laid brick built similar to the new Main stand at anfield

E5E3EECE-1FB0-4FAF-BAE0-C59CB744EA93.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Any new stand will no doubt be brick clad with modular panels as opposed to hand laid brick built similar to the new Main stand at anfield

Bricks are bad environmentally. We have to move away from building with brick. Using them for decoration is less of a problem, but is likely to make building look outdated rapidly as we stop building other things with brick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, limpid said:

Bricks are bad environmentally. We have to move away from building with brick. Using them for decoration is less of a problem, but is likely to make building look outdated rapidly as we stop building other things with brick.

Outdated is an interesting way to look at that - it might give it a timeless presence. 

Brick cladding seems to be the way things go nowadays.

• Like 2

Â