Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

A5E6EDB6-7D37-458F-98EE-0ECC3076693B.jpeg

9C17121B-7AB7-4B2A-A10D-94629D71E583.jpeg

0E572707-9BC2-48CF-A9CB-932F89FD6D7B.jpeg

BBD8F5EC-1A44-4A82-BCDE-7458BE99558F.webp

C86ABC45-435D-4197-8850-70523FCD58A2.jpeg

Interesting picture taken from an unusual angle.

While it show plenty of space behind the North Stand, it also raises the prospect there may be objections from the council or homeowners on Nelson Road  about a full height and wider stand, similar to issues with the Witton Lane and Holte redevelopments. 

2 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Interesting picture taken from an unusual angle.

While it show plenty of space behind the North Stand, it also raises the prospect there may be objections from the council or homeowners on Nelson Road  about a full height and wider stand, similar to issues with the Witton Lane and Holte redevelopments. 

I wonder if we own any of the houses on Nelson Road, otherwise CPO will be required and cannot see that being easy though it will be the only way to alleviate the issues with right to light and crowd movement around the stadium 

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The only city centre site I can think of (other than the former Wholesale market site which is already earmarked for development) is the area behind The Rep/Library with from the multi story car park to The Flapper.  There is a bit of a park and some 60's blocks of flats.  I believe it's a earmarked for development but nothing formalised. 

It's probably a big enough area and easily walkable from all parts of City Centre but you would be up against developers of prime Real Estate for expensive apartments to buy the land. Very expensive. 

At least it's our side of Town, Wholesale Markets site is a bit too Small Heath for my liking. 

Very sha. Digbeth territory is dirtbag territory. You imagine being less than a mile from that shithole. No thanks

Edited by avfc1982am

@thabucks I like some elements of the design of Lambaeu fields atrium and it's clearly a very practical thing given the weather - I'd love see a much larger concourse on the back of the North Stand - we have room there depending on how much of the parking we can afford to sacrifice. Architecturally, I'm not massively keen on the aesthetic of Lambeau with that Atrium looking bolted on as an afterthought - but it looks nice from inside and it keeps the snow off.

image.png

Green Bay is weird - and I think possibly illustrates one of the big differences between US stadia and the problems we have in the UK. The city of Green Bay has a population of 104,000 people - which means it has a population that's smaller than the population of Sutton Coldfield, it's only just bigger than Nuneaton. The population of Wisconsin - the state that Green Bay is in, is 5.8 million people - it has an area of 169,000 km² - by comparison, England has an area of 130,000 km².

So this is a stadium which serves an area of land that is larger than England but has a population of almost exactly one tenth of England.

The West Midlands has 2.9 million people in an area of 902 km² - half the population of the state of Wisconsin and in an area that is 187 times smaller than the state - the population density difference is enormous. 

When you have fans coming in from long distances and you have enormous amounts of space for parking, for roads and enormous amounts of space to put in mass transit systems transport trouble isn't something you have to worry about - it's a given, it's easy.

There's more developable land in that picture than there is within twenty or thirty miles of Villa Park. America is largely empty - the UK isn't like that - we have a shortage of houses and a shortage of land to build them on - car parks the size of those at Lambeau Field are really impractical here - that stadium is actually classed as in the city (although it looks like the border goes around it to make sure) and it's actually a tiny little bit further from the centre of Green Bay than Villa Park is from the centre of Birmingham (which as everybody knows is at the bottom of the ramp).

I like the idea of a city centre stadium - but by most standards we've actually got one where we are - we really should be able to develop and expand in Aston - and that's before we get into heritage, history and erm...romantic nourishment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Very sha. Digbeth territory is dirtbag territory. You imagine being less than a mile from that shithole. No thanks

I think I made it quite clear that I don't imagine that

Edited by sidcow

53 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

@thabucks I like some elements of the design of Lambaeu fields atrium and it's clearly a very practical thing given the weather - I'd love see a much larger concourse on the back of the North Stand - we have room there depending on how much of the parking we can afford to sacrifice. Architecturally, I'm not massively keen on the aesthetic of Lambeau with that Atrium looking bolted on as an afterthought - but it looks nice from inside and it keeps the snow off.

image.png

Green Bay is weird - and I think possibly illustrates one of the big differences between US stadia and the problems we have in the UK. The city of Green Bay has a population of 104,000 people - which means it has a population that's smaller than the population of Sutton Coldfield, it's only just bigger than Nuneaton. The population of Wisconsin - the state that Green Bay is in, is 5.8 million people - it has an area of 169,000 km² - by comparison, England has an area of 130,000 km².

So this is a stadium which serves an area of land that is larger than England but has a population of almost exactly one tenth of England.

The West Midlands has 2.9 million people in an area of 902 km² - half the population of the state of Wisconsin and in an area that is 187 times smaller than the state - the population density difference is enormous. 

When you have fans coming in from long distances and you have enormous amounts of space for parking, for roads and enormous amounts of space to put in mass transit systems transport trouble isn't something you have to worry about - it's a given, it's easy.

There's more developable land in that picture than there is within twenty or thirty miles of Villa Park. America is largely empty - the UK isn't like that - we have a shortage of houses and a shortage of land to build them on - car parks the size of those at Lambeau Field are really impractical here - that stadium is actually classed as in the city (although it looks like the border goes around it to make sure) and it's actually a tiny little bit further from the centre of Green Bay than Villa Park is from the centre of Birmingham (which as everybody knows is at the bottom of the ramp).

I like the idea of a city centre stadium - but by most standards we've actually got one where we are - we really should be able to develop and expand in Aston - and that's before we get into heritage, history and erm...romantic nourishment.

Couldn't help but laugh at the size of the car parks in this shot of Arrowhead Stadium:

FJ1k_kqX0AASH32?format=jpg&name=large

I bet that's only about 70% of it as well.

The bottom line for me is if we want to expand, we need to give up some parking. @nick76 is right that the car park behind the Holte is fairly pointless and would be the obvious location for an additional structure (doesn't have to be an atrium, could be a separate building) for shops, a bar, a restaurant etc to keep people there. I doubt we would go to such an expense just to reduce the numbers on the platforms at Witton station, but it could potentially be a worthwhile investment from a financial perspective as long as it was somewhere actually inviting and worth being in.

Most of the rest of the parking is at risk from the North Stand expansion as well of course, so maybe it's unrealistic, but again Nick is right that this is a waste of space for a very small amount of cars. Cars are always a waste of space, and Birmingham isn't Missouri.

• Like 1

That looks like more parking than the NEC - and guess what they're doing with their car parks?*

The problem football grounds have with parking is hospitality - you don't want to come out of your suite two hours after kick off and have to walk across Aston in your good shoes and your expensive watch - those people want parking. The ideal solution is to put those parking places underground - but that's very expensive - there might be room for a multi-story behind where the ticket off is now I suppose.

*(Building houses on them and replacing the existing ones with multi-story parking).

• Like 1

I just went on a google stadium tour of some of the NFL teams on Google and some of the stadiums they have over there are just insane.

My personal favourites are:
The SOFI Stadium
US Bank Stadium
Lucas Oil Stadium
Allegiant Stadium

Unreal. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That looks like more parking than the NEC - and guess what they're doing with their car parks?*

The problem football grounds have with parking is hospitality - you don't want to come out of your suite two hours after kick off and have to walk across Aston in your good shoes and your expensive watch - those people want parking. The ideal solution is to put those parking places underground - but that's very expensive - there might be room for a multi-story behind where the ticket off is now I suppose.

*(Building houses on them and replacing the existing ones with multi-story parking).

Yes, in a resource-constraint-free world my preferred development would be a small amount of underground parking for the VIPs under the current car park and sort-of-under the new enlarged stand, but I assume it's probably hoping for too much.

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just went on a google stadium tour of some of the NFL teams on Google and some of the stadiums they have over there are just insane.

My personal favourites are:
The SOFI Stadium
US Bank Stadium
Lucas Oil Stadium
Allegiant Stadium

Unreal. 

I would love to experience a game at SoFi - the oculus is ridiculous … 

In terms of stadia design, I alway liked the internal layout of the Hicks & Gillet binned plans for a new Anfield which were modern yet kept the separate stand identity, and was not just an identikit stadium. 

C6955ADE-29B9-4171-9E56-5D59EF277C8F.jpeg

6D9C00DF-AEC1-460D-9D5A-E9C416360B54.jpeg

5C2D5449-44AD-4D05-BE52-8B1741A15457.jpeg

Â