Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

On 31/12/2021 at 22:36, sidcow said:

I've booked myself VP for Conferences and also attended a number of conferences and corporate events there. 

They do weddings and stuff too. 

Trinity Road stand is superb for it but I've also been to events in The North Stand and The Holte Hotel. 

And obviously The Holte Suite is available to hire. 

VP is busy all the time on non matchdays. 

Incidentally I've been to events at other Football Clubs but the viewof the pirch/stadium from The Trinity Stand is seriously impressive and is ways a topic of conversation with people attending who have never been to VP before. 

If I get married it will be at Villa Park, can't see the Missus agreeing to either of those propositions 

35 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Doug's  2005 model. 48k. This doesn't look right though to me.

884291713_NorthStandRe-Development3.JPG.4c96f1d6ff1494a74d8c620307935b04.JPG1518914348_NorthStandRe-Development4.JPG.af1d281e6133d0b1179f44b3e64611ec.JPG1323388510_NorthStandRe-Development.JPG.bc15fe24b3f891f2e9636252aaad0954.JPG1129353106_NorthStandRe-Development2.JPG.5a15f58f43d834a9d2b093ec7a55d912.JPG976468354_NorthStandRe-Development5.JPG.9d9fe521466550cb897051e59039b798.JPG

I was never entirely sure if this original plan was just a new roof and seats around the corners, or a actual new stand. It would have made more of a sense in demolishing the Trinity had we done this. However in the early 2000s we were averaging mid to low 30K so never happened.  And we have been waiting ever since!

Edited by The Fun Factory

11 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Doug's  2005 model. 48k. This doesn't look right though to me.

884291713_NorthStandRe-Development3.JPG.4c96f1d6ff1494a74d8c620307935b04.JPG1518914348_NorthStandRe-Development4.JPG.af1d281e6133d0b1179f44b3e64611ec.JPG1323388510_NorthStandRe-Development.JPG.bc15fe24b3f891f2e9636252aaad0954.JPG1129353106_NorthStandRe-Development2.JPG.5a15f58f43d834a9d2b093ec7a55d912.JPG976468354_NorthStandRe-Development5.JPG.9d9fe521466550cb897051e59039b798.JPG

You'd never have known from these that half of the "windows" were to be boarded up with steel.  The new(er) Trinity is an architectural abomination (in my humble opinion of course).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Am absolutely amazed Doug’s plans didn’t involve making the Doug Ellis Stand into a 30k capacity stand for his own gratification. 
I wonder if the hold ups in releasing the new plans are linked to recent infrastructure failings, namely the transport issues.

Hold up ?

I wasn't aware anything was imminent about developing/expanding VP ?

I though CP addressed this at the FCG a while back ?

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hold up ?

I wasn't aware anything was imminent about developing/expanding VP ?

I though CP addressed this at the FCG a while back ?

In the latest news Purslow said that they planning to increase capacity  (both seats and corporate) and an application was due in later that month (December). Still haven't heard anything more.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

In the latest news Purslow said that they planning to increase capacity  (both seats and corporate) and an application was due in later that month (December). Still haven't heard anything more.

Oh right. Wasn't aware of that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Interesting video regarding trinity road & proposed new north stand and hotel … 

Yeah I remember one of my early games at Villa (think it was Derby) the programme had an article on this. As I was sitting in the lower trinity I thought oh all of this is going to be demolished then!. In the programme they said they would keep the prepared mosaic which ended up being a pack of lies. Doug never did anything to the Holte Hotel did he, he just left it to rot before Lerner refurbished it. It wasn't a great look as you walked up to the stadium. So the original plan was for the Trinity to result in  44,00 capacity so what happened to the 1500 seats?

There has been a recent article elsewhere with a interview with Simon Inglis, the stadium expert and Villa fan. I knew he had very mixed views on the stand but basically what he has mostly objected to was not that it had to be demolished but the replacement was so cheap and tacky. Doug always cut corners with the design. Lerner did improve it but it is basically a lego blob which makes you weep when you remember the elegance of the old stand.  It also had no continuity with the Holte End and Doug Ellis which had a brick frontage added and the new trinity was more modern looking. I hope if we do any further redevelopment it will be of  a  more high standard than the 90s-early 00s rebuild.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Bored whilst waiting for our next villatico to sign got me way ahead of myself … I was wondering whether the site constraints could lead them to the decision that renovation isn’t the best way forwards. Would there enough room behind the current north stand to build a new stadium similar to how spuds built there’s  - I’m guessing we would have the same issues of a site constrained by houses and roads but at least rectangular. Would require a massive amount of debt so cannot see it… 

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah I remember one of my early games at Villa (think it was Derby) the programme had an article on this. As I was sitting in the lower trinity I thought oh all of this is going to be demolished then!. In the programme they said they would keep the prepared mosaic which ended up being a pack of lies. Doug never did anything to the Holte Hotel did he, he just left it to rot before Lerner refurbished it. It wasn't a great look as you walked up to the stadium. So the original plan was for the Trinity to result in  44,00 capacity so what happened to the 1500 seats?

There has been a recent article elsewhere with a interview with Simon Inglis, the stadium expert and Villa fan. I knew he had very mixed views on the stand but basically what he has mostly objected to was not that it had to be demolished but the replacement was so cheap and tacky. Doug always cut corners with the design. Lerner did improve it but it is basically a lego blob which makes you weep when you remember the elegance of the old stand.  It also had no continuity with the Holte End and Doug Ellis which had a brick frontage added and the new trinity was more modern looking. I hope if we do any further redevelopment it will be of  a  more high standard than the 90s-early 00s rebuild.

Agreed.  The architect must have been wearing a blindfold!

12 hours ago, thabucks said:

Bored whilst waiting for our next villatico to sign got me way ahead of myself … I was wondering whether the site constraints could lead them to the decision that renovation isn’t the best way forwards. Would there enough room behind the current north stand to build a new stadium similar to how spuds built there’s  - I’m guessing we would have the same issues of a site constrained by houses and roads but at least rectangular. Would require a massive amount of debt so cannot see it… 

No not really. There has been at least 2 detailed plans on expansion done in the Ellis (see above) and Lerner eras. The main constraints would be traffic management, which even at the moment is not great . If we decided to pack up and build  a new stadium elsewhere it would be probably  be about four times the cost as well. 

Â