Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Outdated is an interesting way to look at that - it might give it a timeless presence. 

Brick cladding seems to be the way things go nowadays.

Agreed. And concrete was the default trim on buildings in the 60s/70s :mrgreen:

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And often beautiful!

I like Villa Park in brick personally, even fake brick cladding.

I think that it will have to be decorated with brick to blend with the existing buildings.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, limpid said:

Bricks are bad environmentally. We have to move away from building with brick. Using them for decoration is less of a problem, but is likely to make building look outdated rapidly as we stop building other things with brick.

Does the Holte End brick work look outdated to you as it is now?  It used to look outdated to me as a youngster.  Im still not that big a fan of it but it makes Villa Park unique.  I certainly wouldn`t want to swap that unique character for a soulless Emirates or King Power stadium all steel and glass monstrosity.  It was disappointing that the Emirates stadium didnt include an art deco design to at least one side of the stadium in the style of Highbury.   If a new Villa stadium was built, those bricks in the Holte end could be reused in some way,  perhaps in a slightly different design but reminiscent of how it is now.

Just to get an idea of potential costs. Liverpools new extension to the Anfield Road End is costing around £80 million, the rebuilt main stand cost £110million - Everton's new stadium which includes filling in a dock is costing £505 million. The Bernabeu redevelopment is costing over £600 million. Spurs stadium cost £850. Then across the pond Allegiant in Vegas cost £1.4 billion and SoFi stadium in LA cost £4billion😜… 

888F50F6-229F-4727-820E-CF0DC2076D48.jpeg

97C7F59A-B0EB-448F-B780-62DDA4BA5703.jpeg

Edited by thabucks
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Does the Holte End brick work look outdated to you as it is now?  It used to look outdated to me as a youngster.  Im still not that big a fan of it but it makes Villa Park unique.  I certainly wouldn`t want to swap that unique character for a soulless Emirates or King Power stadium all steel and glass monstrosity.  It was disappointing that the Emirates stadium didnt include an art deco design to at least one side of the stadium in the style of Highbury.   If a new Villa stadium was built, those bricks in the Holte end could be reused in some way,  perhaps in a slightly different design but reminiscent of how it is now.

Build a shithouse and put em' in midfield. I know some VT-ers would love that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Just to get an idea of potential costs. Liverpools new extension to the Anfield Road End is costing around £80 million, the rebuilt main stand cost £110million - Everton's new stadium which includes filling in a dock is costing £505 million. The Bernabeu redevelopment is costing over £600 million. Spurs stadium cost £850. Then across the pound Allegiant in Vegas cost £1.4 billion and SoFi stadium in LA cost £4billion😜… 

Even allowing for inflation, old Deadly built the Trinity for the price of two Stan Collymores.  I find it so hard to forgive what that man did to Villa Park.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Just to get an idea of potential costs. Liverpools new extension to the Anfield Road End is costing around £80 million, the rebuilt main stand cost £110million - Everton's new stadium which includes filling in a dock is costing £505 million. The Bernabeu redevelopment is costing over £600 million. Spurs stadium cost £850. Then across the pond Allegiant in Vegas cost £1.4 billion and SoFi stadium in LA cost £4billion😜… 

I would guess all for differences in the same thing... The ground conditions 

Anfield they built over the top of the existing stand, which I'm sure Real Madrid and Barca are doing too meaning more weight on the existing concrete / steel, that's the main benefit of these indenikit stadiums, they're future proofed for it, Leicesters extension for example will be "cheap" because the structure has already been built in part to handle the extra load, spurs lost a ton of money in the basement of their ground

SoFi cost so much because its in the LAX flight path meaning that they had to excavate lower and bury the bottom tier in the ground 

Impossible to know what the ground at VP will be like or if they go for a corner filled design because it allows them to spread the load on to the other stands 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

I’d argue on the costs of a new stand that we could just forgo a transfer budget for a year or two.

in my opinion 3 more signings and we have a squad full of players capable of European qualification, so with youngsters coming through and a bit of player trading I’d be happy to trade off a summer window or two for a new stand.

35 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Meanwhile over in Small Heath half their ground is still closed. Which is progress for SHA as they are now playing in half a shithole, whereas they’ve always previously played in a total shithole. 

and the whole stadium cost £1.1m in todays money.

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

VP will forever be compromised by its location -  part of its charm in many ways. It’s a shame we cannot look at doing a spurs and building next door due to lack of space and costs. 

The location of being close to 2 railway stations and motorway junction?

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The location of being close to 2 railway stations and motorway junction?

I meant awkwardly sandwiched between two roads and terraced housing … 

Edited by thabucks
  • Haha 1

On 15/10/2021 at 13:22, ferguson1 said:

It could be an age thing but I just love Villa Park and would hate it if we ever moved. The red brick facade, stained glass windows, the mosaic, the Holte Hotel etc. It’s a unique venue. Obviously, we’ve lost some of it’s beauty and character over the years with poorly thought out refurbishments and cheap materials (ie the exterior of the Trinity Road) but it can be changed/altered again with any expansion consideration.

The North stand will need to go completely but I would love the wrap around of three stands if possible, copying some of the Holte End look or at the very least consider the use of red brick and stained glass.  I want that Tim Burton feel and Victorian Gothic Splendour everywhere! 

Below are elements taken from other stadia, some of which are modern and we can copy possibly? I just don’t want to see steel and ugly plastic everywhere. I do trust our owners to get it right though.  

image.jpeg.c17c60721f4d0c232a11a7d69c73ae23.jpeg

image.jpeg.b9a9c2e4a798249f19ef5f50effdb400.jpeg

image.jpeg.733db908531cb6f30c2ceb2648c25353.jpeg

Whatever comes out shortly regarding the North Stand area of the ground, I really hope we keep to a red brick exterior.

Villa Park still is and can be a magnificent arena for years to come. I have full confidence in our current ownership to get it right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

A new north stand like that would be cool, a bit more art deco rather than Victorian whorehouse style though. 

Well if we are going to misspell, we might as well co the whole hog.

On 22/01/2022 at 11:35, DaveAV1 said:

If we make the new North Stand with filled on corners and a capacity of 17.5k, with the option of the lower being set up to be easily converted to  safe standing giving us a possible 55k ground capacity.

Then the long term view is that safe standing becomes the accepted norm over the next year or two and we redo the Holte into a huge all standing single tier to take us over 60k and scare the living bejesus out of away teams and properly suck the ball into the net when in full cry. We want our proper Holte End back!! The greatest end in world football. 

Preach brother!!

• Haha 1

Â