Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

More would come by train if it was a little easier to get to. 

I'm still banging the new, city centre stadium drum... as much as people hate the idea on here!

with the big city plan im not sure if there are any underdeveloped areas of brum city cnetre anymore

what the club could / should do is look at how to encourage people to walk back to the city, be it with a bit of money spent on bettering the pathways or canal path, or at least lobby the council to do it (good luck...) never really seen anyone do anything to suggest walking is a viable alternative

i threw out this idea a while ago...bike hire scheme...set up a boris bike type station at VP and one in the city centre, not sure brum has anything like that but id imagine they've looked at it

In fact the idea of aftermatch drinks could be a real recipe for disaster , I’ve seen people in poor condition before games never mind after !! Can you imagine people staggering around Aston ,Witton pissing in doorways and looking for bus stops , dare I say the more interesting characters that live locally would have a field day , Christmas every home game 

12 minutes ago, Chine said:

In fact the idea of aftermatch drinks could be a real recipe for disaster , I’ve seen people in poor condition before games never mind after !! Can you imagine people staggering around Aston ,Witton pissing in doorways and looking for bus stops , dare I say the more interesting characters that live locally would have a field day , Christmas every home game 

Not sure I agree, in fact I think it would have the opposite effect. Some folk want to get their 5 pints in during the 15min interval. If there was a box park type thing down there they may be less inclined to try and consume as much as possible so quickly 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure I agree, in fact I think it would have the opposite effect. Some folk want to get their 5 pints in during the 15min interval. If there was a box park type thing down there they may be less inclined to try and consume as much as possible so quickly 

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

My home match routine used to be buffet breakfast at 9am, bus to Stourbridge, few in spoons then train to Brum, few in brum then train to Villa. Watch match, few near ground, train to Brum, few in Brum, train to Stourbridge, few more there then taxi home about midnight. 

Away games usually involved a longer day, but not once did I feel drunk enough to fight or piss on anyone's house

24 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

My home match routine used to be buffet breakfast at 9am, bus to Stourbridge, few in spoons then train to Brum, few in brum then train to Villa. Watch match, few near ground, train to Brum, few in Brum, train to Stourbridge, few more there then taxi home about midnight. 

Away games usually involved a longer day, but not once did I feel drunk enough to fight or piss on anyone's house

Wow ,fun times ! Are you a millionaire?

Agree with a lot of points here.

For me it is a simple fix…

We have two train stations….they need to run more specials (with more carriages) to and from Villa Park.

Obviously they don’t see the congestion as a big problem or else this would be already done.

I generally think new things built to look old looks fake and terrible. Even if you use old materials it feels Disney and American. Not my style at all.

There are better and worse examples of course but hope we don't go that route if/when we build/rebuild.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

I generally think new things built to look old looks fake and terrible. Even if you use old materials it feels Disney and American. Not my style at all.

There are better and worse examples of course but hope we don't go that route if/when we build/rebuild.

And why should we wish to resemble the past? Let's look at the future and create something that will reflect where the club stands now rather than 50 years ago. 

I like brick. But just because something is made out of it and looks like a new built estate it doesn't mean it will create a great looking stadium.

But it might very well do - I'm just not desperate for something that looks old for the sake of it, you know, because we won the FA cup in 1957.

• Like 2

I honestly think just opening the bars in the concourses for an hour after full time would do wonders for the traffic congestion.

I'd often love to have a post match pint to dissect the game with mates, but there's not much choice in where to go after games.

A nice atrium or outside bar or whatever would be lovely, but genuinely just having the normal concourse bars open would provide a lot of people with an opportunity to drink which I think they'd take.

I imagine that's easier said than done. Trying to get people out of the ground when people are blocking the concourses trying to get a beer is probably not a sensible combination. But there must be a solution there somewhere

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

We have two train stations….they need to run more specials (with more carriages) to and from Villa Park.

Obviously they don’t see the congestion as a big problem or else this would be already done.

This would be the easiest solution and a pretty quick fix in able to facilitate an increase in attendance numbers. Personally I think there are solutions to be had in infrastructure at the Witton Station now that the Brookvale Rd site has been purchased. For example,  extending the platforms at Witton Station with a footpath link through to Station Rd(Bang opposite the North Stand) and the possibility of an over Bridge and footway leading to the Brookvale site and better off site parking. I believe part of the Brookvale site is already used for staff parking but a possible multi story parking facility could alleviate some of the parking issues. I'd be exploring all these avenues tbh    

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly think just opening the bars in the concourses for an hour after full time would do wonders for the traffic congestion.

I'd often love to have a post match pint to dissect the game with mates, but there's not much choice in where to go after games.

A nice atrium or outside bar or whatever would be lovely, but genuinely just having the normal concourse bars open would provide a lot of people with an opportunity to drink which I think they'd take.

I imagine that's easier said than done. Trying to get people out of the ground when people are blocking the concourses trying to get a beer is probably not a sensible combination. But there must be a solution there somewhere

Couldn’t they just extend the Holte End pub into the Holte End car park, turn the Holte End car park from the pub to where the big screen is into an atrium.  The car park can’t be generating too much revenue but it’s a decent size area for people to go into as they leave the ground.

Every game I walk out the Holte and walk in between the cars and think it’s a waste of space for not that many car park spaces.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

If they can just go back to 6 trains per hour that would be  start.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

This would be the easiest solution and a pretty quick fix in able to facilitate an increase in attendance numbers. Personally I think there are solutions to be had in infrastructure at the Witton Station now that the Brookvale Rd site has been purchased. For example,  extending the platforms at Witton Station with a footpath link through to Station Rd(Bang opposite the North Stand) and the possibility of an over Bridge and footway leading to the Brookvale site and better off site parking. I believe part of the Brookvale site is already used for staff parking but a possible multi story parking facility could alleviate some of the parking issues. I'd be exploring all these avenues tbh    

Isn't that where the supposed inner city academy is going to be? Mind you that has gone as quiet as the Villa Park redevelopment.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Isn't that where the supposed inner city academy is going to be? Mind you that has gone as quiet as the Villa Park redevelopment.

It is and it has. I would think with the amount of land available some development to facilitate match day parking or transport could be viable though.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Couldn’t they just extend the Holte End pub into the Holte End car park, turn the Holte End car park from the pub to where the big screen is into an atrium.  The car park can’t be generating too much revenue but it’s a decent size area for people to go into as they leave the ground.

Every game I walk out the Holte and walk in between the cars and think it’s a waste of space for not that many car park spaces.

Plenty of scope and space to build an atrium type space 

A5E6EDB6-7D37-458F-98EE-0ECC3076693B.jpeg

9C17121B-7AB7-4B2A-A10D-94629D71E583.jpeg

0E572707-9BC2-48CF-A9CB-932F89FD6D7B.jpeg

BBD8F5EC-1A44-4A82-BCDE-7458BE99558F.webp

C86ABC45-435D-4197-8850-70523FCD58A2.jpeg

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They should build a bingo hall on The Holte car park imo. 

• Haha 3

The only city centre site I can think of (other than the former Wholesale market site which is already earmarked for development) is the area behind The Rep/Library with from the multi story car park to The Flapper.  There is a bit of a park and some 60's blocks of flats.  I believe it's a earmarked for development but nothing formalised. 

It's probably a big enough area and easily walkable from all parts of City Centre but you would be up against developers of prime Real Estate for expensive apartments to buy the land. Very expensive. 

At least it's our side of Town, Wholesale Markets site is a bit too Small Heath for my liking. 

Edited by sidcow

Â