Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I've never understood this philosophy at grounds. The authorities want everyone gone ASAP which always just creates problems as 50K+ people are all moving in similar directions all at the same time. Why not let local pubs, the ground etc. all sell more food and drink. That way at least a third of the people might stick around and wait for the crowds to die down before moving anywhere. It's bizarre. I'm astonished more people aren't injured in the mess that is queuing for trains after games.  

Good point and I think this already happens at certain venues? Spurs being one of them? As you say, improve concourses with bars and seating and get people yo stick around for another hour.  

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I've never understood this philosophy at grounds. The authorities want everyone gone ASAP which always just creates problems as 50K+ people are all moving in similar directions all at the same time. Why not let local pubs, the ground etc. all sell more food and drink. That way at least a third of the people might stick around and wait for the crowds to die down before moving anywhere. It's bizarre. I'm astonished more people aren't injured in the mess that is queuing for trains after games.  

with the worst offender being the shiny shit of a national stadium...

I went to watch the NFL at tottingham’s stadium, The stadium is great but There’s 80k people all queuing for one station afterwards, or walking about 30 mins to the next station (which I did and it as closed because of volume of people!). It was carnage and too about two hours and a half hours after the game just to get on a train

• Like 2

I think we still have this culture of going to a game, drink some overpriced fizzy  lager and eat a soggy pie, and  then leave after the match.

It isn't such as an event as a NFL game which is an all day event. The match lasts longer, the tickets are more expensive, and there are about half as many home games.

I can't see us leaving Villa Park. We have three quarters of a decent ground with space to expand, plus in theory good transport links (hah) with 2 stations and 2 motorways junctions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think we still have this culture of going to a game, drink some overpriced fizzy  lager and eat a soggy pie, and  then leave after the match.

It isn't such as an event as a NFL game which is an all day event. The match lasts longer, the tickets are more expensive, and there are about half as many home games.

I can't see us leaving Villa Park. We have three quarters of a decent ground with space to expand, plus in theory good transport links (hah) with 2 stations and 2 motorways junctions.

and from my experience they can be blow outs and over with more than an hour left to go meaning that the crowd starts to walk away, theres a variance as to what time you leave

football still has the majority of the crowd leave at the same time

On 29/11/2021 at 17:46, mrchnry said:

I hope the North Stand if rebuilt gets a new name. The Ron Saunders stand for example. Would probably need to do a vote on it. 

Something for the elite tier of supporters known as Socio token holders to weigh in on.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2021 at 15:02, Rugeley Villa said:

Not sure trying to keep people around the villa park area after the game is the answer and it won’t work regardless of what the club could offer post match. 

Well not with that attitude it won't!

On 08/12/2021 at 16:11, Delphinho123 said:

Tin hat on, I actually have no issue if we moved to a brand new stadium in the city centre and left Villa Park. 

(I’m braced and ready). 

Coming round to this idea myself, but not sure if any realistic options in city centre. You're basically looking for anything inside the ring road I guess. That Smithfield site looks about the only existing clear site that's big enough, but looks like that's taken. Guessing the next most likely place to find some existing free space would be somewhere else in Digbeth/Deritend, but you're getting pretty close to Small Heath there, so not sure that's the best idea. Eastside and Westside already developed fairly recently, a lot of the remaining space in Eastside will be taken up by HS2 I guess. JQ not an option I'd think.

All that's left after that are older residential/commercial areas towards Ladywood to the west, towards Lozells/Newtown to the north and Highgate south-east. The latter again probably too close to Small Heath. The area between JQ and Newtown maybe best option of the three, about the closest you can get to Aston, about a mile from New Street and even closer to Snow Hill, close to city centre and JQ for bars, etc. Not sure how feasible it would be to acquire enough land here or elsewhere, all looks fairly occupied.

Edited by tomsky_11

Just to clarify I think moving is a horrendous idea. 

I think it's too late now to consider city centre. You could have done it a few years ago, endless stretches of cheap run down ex industrial buildings, especially around The Gun Quarter. But now anywhere near walking distance of New Street is up for gentrification and you'd be competing with developers looking to put up a load of profitable apartments for any plots that came up.  Would be horrendously expensive to outbid them.

I don’t think we need to relocate but would like to see the North Stand redeveloped to increase capacity. 

I would switch the club shop/visitor centre beneath the stand and emulate the lower Holte section at least.

Both Trinity and Holte stand afford good views of the pitch (but would love to see the Lower Holte converted into a safe Standing zone!) which leaves the ugly but functionable Doug Ellis stand, which requires updating too. 

I also agree there is a need for better transport facilities near the ground. It’s great having two train stations but it can be bedlam catching trains post match. 

Maybe a park and ride service would work with a remote car park and shuttle bus into the ground? 

Edited by theboyangel

18 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Maybe a park and ride service would work with a remote car park and shuttle bus into the ground? 

Surprised neither star city or resorts world offer this already, park and ride from their place in the hope that it brings some business to them while villa fans are there 

• Like 2

Not comparable since the stadium only takes 8500 but where I live the pubs in the city center work together with the local hockey club and the city to offer free chartered buses for anyone who buys a drink (or food) there before the games. You get a two way ticket. Works perfectly for everyone involved. 

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/december/15/chelsea-fixture-sold-out/

Aston Villa’s Boxing Day encounter at home to Chelsea has now sold out – thank you once again for your fantastic support!

The Villans have been roared on by over 41,000 fans for each of the club’s eight home fixtures in the Premier League this term.

And it will be another full house at Villa Park for Saturday's clash against Burnley, as well as our Boxing Day match against Thomas Tuchel's Blues! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Did the Chelsea game sell out to members? Or did it make general sale. Just wondering how many more we could realistically sell for this game . 

It didn’t go to general sale, I think it went to members and then season ticket holders.

Â