Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Hollis sounded delusional here. Blame lays with him and Randy. Just embarassing.

I think Lerner was shit but has no direct effect on Xia. He appointed Hollis who was a serious business man apparently and he **** up. Lerner has many faults but just like O'NEILL he chose wrong

There was that deal to buy the Hollywood film studio which fell through.  It was claimed that Chinese Government had outlawed investment in Movie Studios but shortly after didn't other Chinese companies buy movie studios?  Or am I imagining the second part.  It was all a bit weird anyway, a formal announcement had been made and everything. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There was that deal to buy the Hollywood film studio which fell through.  It was claimed that Chinese Government had outlawed investment in Movie Studios but shortly after didn't other Chinese companies buy movie studios?  Or am I imagining the second part.  It was all a bit weird anyway, a formal announcement had been made and everything. 

I forgot about that. Very weird.

I expect it was a genuine attempt to buy though. Xia buying Villa shows just how much you can achieve with perception and a loan against the asset you're purchasing, even if you're not wealthy. The Glazers (although wealthy before) are the perfect example of how to successfully leverage an asset without putting a penny in.

On 23/01/2021 at 07:29, Greenfly said:

Remember when he posted a Chairman Mao quote on Twitter and nobody thought that was a gigantic red flag? Good times, good times.

A quite literal gigantic red flag.

(communism banter)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

'Ex-England soccer club chief spends months in China detention centers'

The Chinese former chairman of one of England's big soccer clubs spent six months in a shadowy network of detention centers prior to his formal arrest last month on suspicion of harming the interests of a Shenzhen-listed manufacturing company, Caixin has learned.

Xia Jiantong, the erstwhile chairman of Birmingham-based Aston Villa F.C. also known as Tony Xia, was subject to "residential surveillance at a designated location," a form of extralegal detention used by Chinese authorities, from July 17 last year to his arrest on Jan. 15, according to two family members with direct knowledge of his situation.

More

• Shocked 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

The Chinese former chairman of one of England's big soccer clubs spent six months in a shadowy network of detention centers prior to his formal arrest last month on suspicion of harming the interests of a Shenzhen-listed manufacturing company, Caixin has learned.

Xia Jiantong, the erstwhile chairman of Birmingham-based Aston Villa F.C. also known as Tony Xia, was subject to "residential surveillance at a designated location," a form of extralegal detention used by Chinese authorities, from July 17 last year to his arrest on Jan. 15, according to two family members with direct knowledge of his situation.

More

Just came on to post this myself. Absolutely bananas! 

4 hours ago, useless said:

More

So he's spent the last 6 months being held in secret detention by the Chinese govt!!   

22 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So do people still believe he was legit and just wasn't allowed to get his money out of China?

I think it is almost impossible to know anything other than what can be proven. The accounts show that he did put a lot of cash into the club from somewhere, we ran out and the cash stopped, why it stopped is back into the unknown.

• Like 4

The Chinese love to gamble. Seems like Aston Villa was a big gamble for Xia. We should be glad he has **** all to do with the club now and that he didn't push in all his chips before he left.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

The Chinese love to gamble. Seems like Aston Villa was a big gamble for Xia. We should be glad he has **** all to do with the club now and that he didn't push in all his chips before he left.

surely he did push in all his chips, gambled and lost. and the club almost went into administration because of that.

Last decade for us would make a great book, surprised no one's had a go yet. Inside story on McLeish being appointed, why Lambert was never sacked earlier, what the hell happened in summer 2015 and then after inital euphoria of not having an owner called Randy Lerner nearly going into administration in summer 2018. And then in last two and a half years Wes and Nas getting pretty much all the big decisions right.

Guess likes of Pat Murphy (although haven't heard him on 5 live for ages so guess he might've retired) or John Percy aren't interested but would be good for up and coming journalist if you had direct hotline to likes of Paul Faulkner and a few others on the fringes around that time with some fan comments aswell.

I really enjoyed reading this book on another club having a similar decade long decline to us a few months back:

https://www.decoubertin.co.uk/caught-beneath-the-landslide-manchester-city-in-the-1990s/

Guy who wrote it used to work for the Times I think.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

Â