Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

5 pages of 'he had the best intentions' incoming. All a bunch of words removed. Should be in jail

Got some fantastic news for you:

Ex-England soccer club chief spends months in China detention centers

Xia is being held at a detention center in the eastern Chinese city of Yixing pending the outcome of a police investigation, official documents show. His family said the case was an "economic dispute" over unpaid debts of about 200 million yuan ($30.92 million) during Xia's time in charge of Yuancheng Cable Co. Ltd., a Shenzhen-listed cable products manufacturer.

Murky doesn't even cover half of it.  I think even the Wolves fans are getting a bit concerned with their Chinese overlords. They have gone very quiet on the proposed Molineux plans and the small temporary stand they use is now not safe to be used for the start of the season.

• Haha 1

Not surprised, something never did add up. How that got through the Premier League's investigative committee thing I have no idea. 

The polar opposite extremes of NSWE / Xia.

How lucky we are now, scary to think what could have been.

23 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Not surprised, something never did add up. How that got through the Premier League's investigative committee thing I have no idea.

AFAIK the 'fit and proper persons test' consists of nothing more than a] checking the prospective buyer has enough money to buy the club and run it for a while in a UK bank account, and b] doing a criminal records check.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

AFAIK the 'fit and proper persons test' consists of nothing more than a] checking the prospective buyer has enough money to buy the club and run it for a while in a UK bank account, and b] doing a criminal records check.

You're not wrong, some of the buyouts in the Championship especially have been a disgrace that have set respective clubs back years. A threat to football used to be rich playboys buying clubs as vanity projects, a toy even. We live in a world now where it is way beyond that and things behind the scenes are somewhat more sinister (the true funding and ownership) and the regulatory oversight of club ownership from UK authorities is a disgrace. Just looks at Small Heath too and that Carson Yeung (spelling) fella. 

• Like 2

Just now, Midfielder said:

You're not wrong, some of the buyouts in the Championship especially have been a disgrace that have set respective clubs back years. A threat to football used to be rich playboys buying clubs as vanity projects, a toy even. We live in a world now where it is way beyond that and things behind the scenes are somewhat more sinister (the true funding and ownership) and the regulatory oversight of club ownership from UK authorities is a disgrace. Just looks at Small Heath too and that Carson Yeung (spelling) fella. 

Funnily enough I was reading (skimming) the first 80 or so pages of this thread last night, and found a post of some interview or other where Xia was very angry at being compared to Carson Yeung, saying 'we come from different worlds' or words to that effect.

From the perspective of five years later, they don't look so very different to me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Murky doesn't even cover half of it.  I think even the Wolves fans are getting a bit concerned with their Chinese overlords. They have gone very quiet on the proposed Molineux plans and the small temporary stand they use is now not safe to be used for the start of the season.

AC Milan had be sold to a vulture fund and Inter having a fire sale 

48 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Tony Xia tweets about James Chester signing and some other cryptic nonsense.

10 pages on VT of people lapping it up. What a guy! What a chairman! What a character!

erm....this is not how business is done. This is mental

I was critical at the time and people told me to relax. The anybody but Lerner attitide to a new owner was nearly a disaster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think i was turned on by the fact that suddenly this moneybags dude turns up, seems to create some direct dialog with the fans etc and have an ambition to take us up. How that novelty wore off. The BS emoji tweets, and our lavish spends on the likes of Ross McCormack etc for stupid money etc. I think people were glad of some positivity but it soon became very tacky and very questionable. Particularly as things turned sour. Then came an almost awkwardness, that having created this persona, he couldn't keep it up. 

Being that direct with fans puts you in the line for their criticism too, he soon shut up. it is crazy looking back that that period actually happened. The guy didn't know football. Didn't know the industry. Fast forward to now... NSWE, they too didn't know football fully at all but they made damned sure they got people that did to implement an infrastructure here. Look at Purslow especially, seems to have done a bloody good job. Latest example, their management and factual dialog to the fans about the Grealish sale. Explaining it to the fans and the media. Honest, direct.

We really are lucky now. In fact, outside of this, I think a lot of people in sports media actually give us respect for this. I genuinely think we are seen as a good example of good owners and good back room management. The inner working of this club now, compared to where we came from and the mess they had to sort, fair play. Behind the scenes we have plans, whether it is a direct 5 year to CL qualification who knows, I think they can adjust for some leeway within that to adjust targets, but thats the aim. To aim that high and seemingly year on year put the components in place, fair play. 

As for Xia, if he was a puppet for something else, that is a scary episode we are glad to be done and over with. Where we are now, and where we may be going ... who'd have thought it.

I WOULD HATE TO BE A BLUENOSE RIGHT NOW. 

• Like 1

In hindsight the warning signs were there right from the beginning. Just that a lot of us were prepared to ignore them as he wasn't Lerner and was seemingly loaded. It never felt right, nobody from China had heard of him. Then going onto the pitch v Rotherham was so cringe. It's a minor miracle we didn't go into administration tbh.

On 22/07/2016 at 20:46, Jareth said:

Love the opinion that Tony is naive and doesn't understand english football because he's not some common bloke down the pub who can remember every funny thing Gazza did once. He's done his homework buying Villa and knows exactly what he is doing.  

Well.

• Haha 1

Always remember @Richardbeing bang on about this guy and he got a lot of stick for it, me being part of it. I was blinded by my hatred for Lerner, that anyone not him must be good. Really regret that. 

By the end it was obvious and I was quite surprised how many hadn't seen the light. Remember some twitter guy, Yorkshire Villian or something like that, who considered himself a bit of an expert in football finance. And he genuinely defended Xia, claiming he just couldn't get his money out of China. 

The bloke nearly destroyed our club.

The Harvard professor "misunderstanding" followed by his student records being sealed so even his academic record couldn't be proved was always a red flag that something wasn't quite right, in my eyes, I was called a conspiracy nutter more than once for not letting go of that. Can't blame people for wanting to cling onto a bit of hope afte several years of sliding downhill, but it always stank to me. People that are legitimate holders of doctorates usually don't take steps to prevent people from validating it.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â