Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Genuinely think Lerner might have sold us to a used car salesman chancing his arm.

" He meant well" " He trusted the wrong people" "Nice guy just naive"

The bloke is an absolute conman who took us to the brink to get his hands on that TV money and sell on value.

Poisonous short arse.

People praised Hollis at the time as some Villa hero to sell to this emoji buffoon

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Isn't this essentially what's going on over at SHA?

We were so lucky whatever he was up to didn't pan out. How different things could've turned out, eh?

Had we beaten Fulham he would probably have tried to flog Villa as  a premier league club and cashed in with a small profit.

Had Wes and Naseef not bought us we would have gone into administration, and could well possibly be in League One at the moment.

A complete chancer and I am surprised that an experienced businessman in Steve Hollis fell for it at the time. It smelt dodgy from day one.  Xia just chucked the parachute payments at players and hoped for the best.

It was total cringe when he turned up at the playoffs in 2019.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People praised Hollis at the time as some Villa hero to sell to this emoji buffoon

At the time, "Lerner Out" was all that mattered. Whoever came in was pretty much irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Had we beaten Fulham he would probably have tried to flog Villa as  a premier league club and cash in with a small profit.

I'm not sure he would have. Premier League clubs can be seen as proper golden geese by some people. It's where all the real money is.

• Like 1

Meh he probably thought he could buy a Premier league club despite having no money. That's what Hicks and Gillette did with pool (borrowed every penny from RBS of all places) and famously the glazers (took on a shit load of debt to buy the club then just put the debt on the club) 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

God, people on here loved that guy. Pretty sure there were one or two who wanted him to get a boardroom role, and I seem to remember one person who wanted to make him a DoF or something, although that might be my memory playing tricks.

• Like 1

I would love to know what checks we made before selling to him. Is it really that easy to buy such an organisation? Show a bit of money a few bankers notes saying you have X amount of money etc and that's it. Surely not

19 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We'd have done a West Brom and spent £3.56 and gone down with £90m and parachute money and a load of money gone missing

Not sure, wasn't there a report that came out a few weeks after saying we were confident of signing likes of Fellani and Javier Hernandez if we'd been promoted although of course those two wouldn't have done much given Hernandez barely scored a goal at West Ham.

We would've spent a bit e.g. converting Snodgrass loan to permanent but given who the manager was it would've just been on old players so no long term planning at all and we we wouldn't be progressing like we are now.

First play off final was a horrible watch but made much worse by how bad things were over the next two months, we could've easily gone into the next championship season with a skeleton squad if we didn't have a quick takeover and could've easily gone down given every decent player was up for sale.

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure, wasn't there a report that came out a few weeks after saying we were confident of signing likes of Fellani and Javier Hernandez if we'd been promoted although of course those two wouldn't have done much given Hernandez barely scored a goal at West Ham.

We would've spent a bit e.g. converting Snodgrass loan to permanent but given who the manager was it would've just been on old players so no long term planning at all and we we wouldn't be progressing like we are now.

First play off final was a horrible watch but made much worse by how bad things were over the next two months, we could've easily gone into the next championship season with a skeleton squad if we didn't have a quick takeover and could've easily gone down given every decent player was up for sale.

Agree with this; I feel like people have memory-holed how deep in the shit we were. We were little more than hours from being wound up at one point IIRC.

I also think (and this is not going to be a popular opinion) that the dire situation had knock-on effects into the next season, and is part of the explanation we started so poorly. Yes, we had got better players by then, and no I'm not just excusing Bruce's performances, but a chaotic summer is usually not a platform from which to build a good start to the season*.

*This point just makes the job that Moyes has done this season all the more impressive IMO.

The man is a charlatan and we are incredibly lucky that things worked out favourably for us.

I wasn’t on VT at the time but was anyone a little bit sceptical from the get go? I’ll admit I thought the moron was the second coming. 

Edited by SuperTed
Punctuation

34 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

The man is a charlatan and we are incredibly lucky that things worked out favourably for us.

I wasn’t on VT at the time but was anyone a little bit sceptical from the get go? I’ll admit I thought the moron was the second coming. 

Yeah if I remember rightly there were a few suspicious comments here and there, questioning Xia’s credibility.

I wasn’t one of them.

49 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

@Demitri_C still has a Xia bumlick as his sig :crylaugh:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SuperTed said:

I think a majority were delighted, cant remember many being overly sceptical of him, and not long after he bought us didnt he buy some Hollywood movie company (or try too) which sort of proved he had some cash

Â