Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

The Recon website still lists Villa as a club it owns. 

You could make a film of this saga. Quite how it happened, will we ever know? He must have had very powerful backers. Once he ceased to become useful to them, they backed out and we nearly went pop. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There really wasn't any evidence to be skeptical of.

Really? Is that not enough evidence to be skeptical 😉

I was definitely not on board, was always something dodgy about him

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There really wasn't any evidence to be skeptical of.

There were a few things that I know I was choosing to ignore. Head in the sand.

The fact that information about him was sketchy at best. The Recon website, it looks like something I could put together and similarly gave no real information about him or them (go and look at it, still there, but now I get a “not secure” alert pop up on my phone and none of the links on the site come up or work). 

This didn’t tell me he’d lead the club nearly to oblivion, but it did make me quietly wonder his actual worth/reputation. But any worries I had I’d tell myself “Well, it’s China ain’t it? Hard to get real clarification.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There were a few things that I know I was choosing to ignore. Head in the sand.

The fact that information about him was sketchy at best. The Recon website, it looks like something I could put together and similarly gave no real information about him or them (go and look at it, still there, but now I get a “not secure” alert pop up on my phone and none of the links on the site come up or work). 

This didn’t tell me he’d lead the club nearly to oblivion, but it did make me quietly wonder his actual worth/reputation. But any worries I had I’d tell myself “Well, it’s China ain’t it? Hard to get real clarification.”

Well I think we all had our head in sand when he took over, relegation and the end of Lerner

At the time china was spending money in European football, iirc clubs like Atletico Madrid and mayby ac Milan had Chinese money invested in them?

Look at this way though, lerner sold us to a trickster who borrowed against getting promoted, failed and sold us to wes and naseef

Sunderland had an owner who sold them to stuart Donald, borrowing parachute payments to buy them, now in league 1

Small heath got bought by a hair dresser and now owned by owners who cant afford to pay of a 700 quid debt to a local company

He didnt hold on, he sold us quickly, which when you look at other football clubs, we got off lightly

Amazing how quick the house of cards fell after that play off final defeat 

• Like 2

I was looking back to the start of the thread, because I honestly couldn't remember how skeptical I was, and  . . . turns out I was completely skeptical right from the start. I had forgotten how much rubbish there was going on back then; the FT being skeptical about him, hard to find any information about him, dubious people coming along with the deal, couldn't get enough money into the bank account, the claims about his academic qualifications, the line on the club website about him owning 5 companies but really he owned 1, the endless Twitter antics, and on and on and on.

On some level I feel a measure of relief that I had my guard up, but at the same time I completely understand why everyone was just so happy not to be owned by Lerner any more, it just led to a bit of an atmosphere where you couldn't express any skepticism about this guy. They were both terrible owners, but at least Lerner really was actually rich.

(A complete side note, but is there a way of searching a thread for your own contributions to it? This isn't the first time I have wanted to see all my contributions to a particular long thread to see how my feelings changed over time)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

There was a journalist who called Xia out as a fraud early. Name? Would like to see when that was first posted here and the reaction.

I dont remember the name but i think some called him a bitter bluenose at the time. 

I do remember Xia tantrum against Holloway, that was embarrassing 😂

4 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Remember when he posted a Chairman Mao quote on Twitter and nobody thought that was a gigantic red flag? Good times, good times.

He did wish Jimmy Saville a happy birthday too 🙄

On 22/01/2021 at 00:21, Pissflaps said:

I would love to know what checks we made before selling to him. Is it really that easy to buy such an organisation? Show a bit of money a few bankers notes saying you have X amount of money etc and that's it. Surely not

Who do you think would be making any checks? Lerner was desperate to sell his company and a buyer came along. It's no different to anyone selling their company.

The FA have a "fit and proper" test, but if the alternative was AVFC going out of business, I don't think they'd have stopped it. THey might have asked for some additional safeguards, but we will never know.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Who do you think would be making any checks? Lerner was desperate to sell his company and a buyer came along. It's no different to anyone selling their company.

The FA have a "fit and proper" test, but if the alternative was AVFC going out of business, I don't think they'd have stopped it. THey might have asked for some additional safeguards, but we will never know.

I'm not sure hence the question really. I have always assumed the fit and proper person test is a giant waste of time ?

19 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I'm not sure hence the question really. I have always assumed the fit and proper person test is a giant waste of time ?

I suspect that it is. The FA would argue that no-one has gone bust since they introduced it, but correlation is not causation.

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2016 at 21:35, sidcow said:

The only thing I want to know about Dr Xia is if he can wrestle a pig? 

I think the above shows I wasn't taking questions about his background too seriously. 

On 15/06/2016 at 21:33, sidcow said:

Both Wyness and Xia have made reference to people making false promises and not delivering. I think if you are going to be full of sh!t you just make the false promises. They are both saying they know they have to deliver with actions not words and I believe them.

You would have to be a very special kind of chunt to go on about not making false promises whilst making false promises.... You just wouldn't bother going there I think 

I was hoping that I'd showed a good deal of cynicism, but unfortunately it seems I was suckered in 😭

Â