Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Is this about the little back and forth between the AV twitter account and Virgin trains?

I thought it was a good bit of fun to be honest.

First thing we've won in a while - do we get points for that ;)

Edited by Gary Thomas

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

On paper, it was a coup. I really don't see the debate there,

Hardly - unemployed manager who lives locally, looking for work was offered job. Not exactly a coup. I wouldn't have picked him, but to be fair I wasn't massively disappointed, just a bit sceptical. But coup? no way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Hardly - unemployed manager who lives locally, looking for work was offered job. Not exactly a coup. I wouldn't have picked him, but to be fair I wasn't massively disappointed, just a bit sceptical. But coup? no way.

I agree with this. Most fans were like ok, let's give him a chance and see what he can do. Nobody was excited by the appointment. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Is this about the little back and forth between the AV twitter account and Virgin trains?

I thought it was a good bit of fun to be honest.

Exactly! Light hearted banter is better than all the current doom amd gloom. Thought it was funny, no surprise it's the usual suspects making mountains out of molehills etc.

Not that I'm wanting the appointment to be rushed but both Swansea and Cardiff have sacked and appointed after and before we have. Makes me wonder if this was more spur of the moment than we thought since they've already got their guys in place

1 hour ago, AstonMartyn88 said:

Not that I'm wanting the appointment to be rushed but both Swansea and Cardiff have sacked and appointed after and before we have. Makes me wonder if this was more spur of the moment than we thought since they've already got their guys in place

I understand where you are coming from but it's not the case.

It wasn't spur of the moment and the circumstances aren't the same, a quick appointment isn't always as easy as it's been in those examples.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richie k said:

i know tony said he will listen to fans opinions but i hope not too much as their are alot of people he shouldnt listen too

Yes, let's hope he doesn't have a referendum on the next manager we elect to come IN or stay OUT. Bad idea I reckon. :ph34r:

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AstonMartyn88 said:

Warnock was out of work so a simple straight forward process to bring him in.

I guess the issue for us may be that if the manager we want is in work and he needs some persuading and/or his club are behind closed doors adamant that no approach will be welcomed then our appointment may not be as straight forward.

Bottom line is we need to get this appointment right and if to do that it takes a couple of weeks so be it. Xia suggested that the Di Matteo appointment was rushed due to the desperate need for someone to start work given the mess we were in. I don’t see him making the same mistake twice and rushing this appointment.

I agree but dont forget that we are already 11 games into the season and there is a perfectly good manager that is unemployed who has won promotion from the championship on more than 1 occasion ?!

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I agree but dont forget that we are already 11 games into the season and there is a perfectly good manager that is unemployed who has won promotion from the championship on more than 1 occasion ?!

Almost like last season when were sliding into a relegation battle while Allardyce was on the dole. 

• Like 1

To be fair Dr Tony is new to all this. Maybe he wants to learn where he went wrong last time. Se he might say to his trusted advisors:-

"So I can pay Burnley £3m to secure Dyche ? - What exactly am I gaining over appointing Steve Bruce or Steve Clarke for nothing"

• Like 2

On 04/10/2016 at 16:43, blandy said:

Ok. 

Well I've no doubt that had he waited and as you point out had he been willing to move house RDM would have been offered a job in the Premier League at some point. 

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:13, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

He recruited the worst manager we've had for quite some time. That was HIS appointment and HIS **** up. That manager was allowed to spend money on too many attacking players and the squad is lacking in other key areas. That was Tony and HIS structure and HIS 'football men' that allowed that to happen. 

I guess what Mike is getting at is that there's blind adulation for him, people are ignoring what a shambles we are, and things aren't going well under Tony so far at all. 

Is that right?  I thought the managerial short-list was proposed by people appointed by Lerner because the process needed to start before the takeover was complete so that we would be ready for the season if there was a problem with the takeover?  Presumably that will also have meant that Lerner would have had a say on the criteria required for making an appointment (just in case he had to pay for said manager or make good on any commitments if the takeover had fallen through)?  I certainly don't recall the takeover being that far advanced that Xia rather than Lerner would have been making the board appointments (of the people who came up with the list).

You could say that once the takeover was completed, Xia could / should have ignored the advice provided by the old regime and waited until he'd appointed his own team to re-define the criteria and re-start the process.  But can you imagine the meltdown if we'd not appointed a manager until the end of July or beginning of August???!!!  Maybe the fact that Xia has acted so quickly with the sacking is a sign that actually he was never completely satisfied that RDM was the right option but just the best of those presented to him at the time (or that his DOF has advised him that things weren't going to work out)?  I guess we will never know whether - if the takeover had happened before the end of the previous season and Xia had had his team in place from the start of the recruitment process - RDM would have made it onto the short-list and / or been the preferred candidate.

I also remember the reaction about the whole Xia "blocking" transfers to SW and people being appalled that the owner should be making transfer decisions - are we now attacking him because he let the manager sign the players / positions he wanted to sign??  Surely we can't have it both ways?  Again our DOF (who presumably is the football man who should be advising on such matters) was unable (legally / contractually) to start working with us until September 1st after the transfer market had closed.  The football men appointed prior to then were either coaches (who you would hope might have some recommendations but shouldn't be defining strategy) or the CEO (whose main job should be in the running of the club off the field not on it).

I'm not suggesting that all is perfect and some criticism is fair.  But at the same time I think it is hard to blame all the failings during the summer on Xia given how little time he had.  Sure there were mistakes made - but in many respects surely doing nothing until he had his "proper" team in place would have been an even worse mistake?? 

For me the jury is still out (and will be for a while - mainly because I was burnt so badly by Randy) but I don't think the things are going badly for want of intent or effort - which are two things we didn't get from Randy for quite a long time.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

Â