Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Blind adulation?

Or maybe there's a middle ground, where you can acknowledge that he made a mistake with RDM, but that he's poured money into the club and he clearly gives a shit.

The funds he's provided is so over stated. For many years net spend/money recouped from player sales was all the rage, but now it never gets mentioned. How much did he spend after transfers outward I wonder. 

People are throwing around plaudits about "untold money" and "poured" money and what not; you'd think we'd spent over a hundred million. 

He spent an okay amount for a billionaire who has just purchased a football club in serious repair, but let's not pretend it's anything spectacular. 

Just now, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The funds he's provided is so over stated. For many years net spend/money recouped from player sales was all the rage, but now it never gets mentioned. How much did he spend after transfers outward I wonder. 

People are throwing around plaudits about "untold money" and "poured" money and what not; you'd think we'd spent over a hundred million. 

He spent an okay amount for a billionaire who has just purchased a football club in serious repair, but let's not pretend it's anything spectacular. 

I think I read somewhere (probably the BBC article about RDM being sacked) that we made £16m from transfers this season - so our net spend was £35m.  That is a hell of a lot of money to be spending in the Championship.  Trying to spend £100m plus (net) in our position would have been insane.  Xia seems to have made the money available for the players that RDM wanted.  I really don't think that you can question his commitment during the summer window.

Mr Xia.

Do not hesitate in sacking the plum that thinks Steve Cotterell is the answer. Sack them, sack them now and never let them anywhere near this football club again. 

Assuming this isn't more made up nonsense from the rags :trollface:

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ah now @Morley_crosses_to_Withe, if someone is arguing semantics like 'poured' and is refusing to give credit for us spending the most amount of money that i) Aston Villa have ever spent in one transfer window and ii) any Championship side has ever spent in one window, then that to me sounds like an agenda which flat out refuses to be positive about someone.  He didn't spend an 'OK' amount.  He spent a lot.

He did spend a lot but I wonder if he will continue to spend like that? He certainly needs to as the first lot was wasted quite spectacularly, or will he cut back. Failure to win promotion within two years means the whole thing goes totally tits up

Just now, KHV said:

He did spend a lot but I wonder if he will continue to spend like that?

I guess we have to wait and see, but there's no reason to think he won't.  But whether you're for or against the man, I think we have to acknowledge that so far he has backed his manager to the hilt.

• Like 3

Just now, BOF said:

I guess we have to wait and see, but there's no reason to think he won't.  But whether you're for or against the man, I think we have to acknowledge that so far he has backed his manager to the hilt.

He is going to have to back the new man in January. There is a lot to put right with this squad for it to be any good

Just now, KHV said:

He is going to have to back the new man in January. There is a lot to put right with this squad for it to be any good

He has already said that they will be buying and loaning in January.  The latter with a view to plugging the African-Nations sized gap.

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

He has already said that they will be buying and loaning in January.  The latter with a view to plugging the African-Nations sized gap.

I'm hoping he will plug the gap between the defence and the forwards more than anything!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

They're not overstated.

In relative terms we might as well have spent over a hundred million

He's spent a large amount for a billionaire who has just purchased a football club who have been relegated and have little to no long term incoming revenue, unless promoted.

27 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ah now @Morley_crosses_to_Withe, if someone is arguing semantics like 'poured' and is refusing to give credit for us spending the most amount of money that i) Aston Villa have ever spent in one transfer window and ii) any Championship side has ever spent in one window, then that to me sounds like an agenda which flat out refuses to be positive about someone.  He didn't spend an 'OK' amount.  He spent a lot.

Does anybody know about where the money came from, if it's debt and if so whose, and so on?  There seems to be an assumption that he is handing over large amounts of his personal wealth, but I've not seen anything which actually explains the position.

What I have seen in the FT is that his company Recon made a loss, and that it owns one other company and not the five it had claimed to own.  The story the club officials gave about Xia being responsible for the Birds Nest stadium turned out to be untrue.  So did Xia's claims about Samuelson never having had a connection with Recon.  Why so many porkies, I wonder?

These things make me quite wary about what is going on here.  I would welcome some accurate, objective information.  I can understand why people are happy to see money being spent, and I guess for many that might mean they aren't interested in knowing a bit more about things.  I don't share that view, though.  I feel quite uneasy about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Most Aston Villa have ever spent on what basis!? Net spend, which, as I said, has been the marker on VT for many years, or as a raw figure (i.e. not considering money received from sales)?

A quick look at Transfermarkt tells me it's neither, but I guess if you're so desperate to see him as the best thing ever, you'll believe what you want.

I see a shambolic club, who have just had to sack their worst manager ever, who have an unbalanced squad which is lacking in key areas, sitting near the relegation zone. 

Tony....is that really you, Randy!? 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

2 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

A quick look at Transfermarkt tells me it's neither, but I guess if you're so desperate to see him as the best thing ever, you'll believe what you want.

See, here's the difference.

Certain people are unable to see the middle ground. You either have your doubts or he's the best thing ever. There's a middle ground. That you can be very happy with his spending and interaction with the fans, but disappointed by our start down to his selection of manager.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Most Aston Villa have ever spent on what basis!? Net spend, which, as I said, has been the marker on VT for many years, or as a raw figure (i.e. not considering money received from sales)?

I see a shambolic club, who have just had to sack their worst manager ever, who have an unbalanced squad which is lacking in key areas, sitting near the relegation zone. 

Tony....is that really you, Randy!? 

I can see where you're coming from with the part in bold to be honest.  But that does not mean that the owner has not backed his manager.  They are 2 different lines of conversation.  He patently has backed him.  Why can't people acknowledge the good and the bad at the same time?  So often if we're not happy with someone, we refuse to see anything positive for fear that we might yield ground or somehow weaken our position, and the same is true of those who support him too.  Then to build a strawman argument like below.  It brings the conversation to a slightly farcical end, because no-one has ever said that so it leaves nowhere to go. But anyhoo...

"if you're so desperate to see him as the best thing ever"

... to go back to the bits that make sense.  I disagree that we are shambolic.  Shambolic is "chaotic, disorganised, mismanaged".  We used to be that, but we very much have a structure in place now, so that doesn't really stand up.  Yes we got the RDM appointment wrong, but that can happen and even that was made before we had a technical director in place.  I'm not going to argue about whether RDM was our worst manager ever.  He's in the discussion alright and that's bad enough.  So I'm glad he's been removed as quickly as he has been.  That to me also suggests we're not shambolic.  Our squad is top heavy but I think with the right appointment, there's enough elsewere if used properly to start getting results.  Although it will have to mean that part of our glittering array of strikers are going to miss out.  C'est la vie.  Where we sit is symptomatic of the RDM appointment and will be fixed by getting the next one right.

With that, it's over to Steve Round.

• Like 2

Â