Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

But where does it say that it was Lerner/Lerner's people who selected the three candidates and Tony HAD to pick from one of the three!? You're reading between the lines, but it's a huge jump to say that Tony couldn't pick himself. It appears Hollis offered RDM the job, buts that's probably because he was doing the required admin leading to the takeover. It also says that RDM was Tony's number one choice, but it doesn't say he was restricted to just three candidates. 

If you read around more, it seems that RDM was absolutely Tony's choice. 

For example:

'Roberto was my first choice for several reasons,’ he says. ‘First - he’s possibly the most intelligent coach I’ve known. I don’t just mean the experience he’s accumulated from his management and playing experience, both at Champions League level. But he also has business acumen, an MBA in business management. He knows what I’m aiming at, on and off the pitch'.

OK - I think we've headed off down a slight blind alley here mate.

I'm not disputing that (a) Xia did make the final decision or that (b) there were probably better candidates out there - as RDM wasn't the name I thought of immediately as "he's the man we need".

However, as I said I was genuinely intrigued (i.e. interested in rather than disputing) by your statement that "I don't believe that RDM was the best candidate we could have got at the time". 

I thought that Lerner had appointed a team to look at candidates and that they had whittled down from something like 50 plus original candidates down to a short-list (of whom three key names were widely reported but there may have been more still in contention).  Given the date that the takeover completed, the amount of recruitment (in and out that was needed) and the short time left before the start of pre-season my feeling is that "at the time" it would have been very difficult to identify, approach and negotiate with a candidate who was not already under consideration / been sounded out.  

Based on that - I still think RDM was a better choice than Pearson and Moyes had ruled himself out - hence "at the time" I think RDM probably was the best candidate (of the ones that we were reported to have spoken to / been interested in). 

Your comment intrigued me because I couldn't tell whether you were suggesting that:

(a) 1 of the other 3 would have been better (I initially got the sense from your response about Xia over-ruling "football people" {irrespective of who appointed them} that Pearson would have been your "best candidate" but now I am not so sure and don't think that is what you think),

(b) you had some inside knowledge / gossip that there was another candidate in the frame who I'd missed - presumably because nothing leaked to the press (which is what intrigued me most)  

(c) you thought that Xia should have started the process again and found someone outside the (reported) shortlist {which would also have involved ignoring the advice of football people but is actually what I think you are actually saying?} and still been able to get them in early enough to start working on transfer targets, assessing the current squad, hiring backroom staff, etc.

If it was (a) then I don't think Pearson has done much better so far, if it was (b) then please enlighten us - if you can! and if (c) then we simply disagree on how much extra time Xia needed to make an appointment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

But where does it say that it was Lerner/Lerner's people who selected the three candidates and Tony HAD to pick from one of the three!? You're reading between the lines, but it's a huge jump to say that Tony couldn't pick himself. It appears Hollis offered RDM the job, buts that's probably because he was doing the required admin leading to the takeover. It also says that RDM was Tony's number one choice, but it doesn't say he was restricted to just three candidates. 

If you read around more, it seems that RDM was absolutely Tony's choice. 

For example:

'Roberto was my first choice for several reasons,’ he says. ‘First - he’s possibly the most intelligent coach I’ve known. I don’t just mean the experience he’s accumulated from his management and playing experience, both at Champions League level. But he also has business acumen, an MBA in business management. He knows what I’m aiming at, on and off the pitch'.

"Its not so much about what you know, but more about what you do."......Henry Ford.

The world is full of clever people who achieve nothing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, brommy said:

If you're so easily embarrassed, I expect you are constantly red faced. Either that or you are misusing the word embarrassing.

In my view it's not do much embarrassing as deluded. 

Old Chinese saying: "A club that has managed one win out of 11 and crashed out of the league cup to a side from a lower league shouldn't try slagging off UK rail companies'.

EDIT - also, perleeaase, trotting out the stuff about 7 league wins, 7 fa cups etc... 

How much of that happened in the last 30 years, or even the last 50?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

In my view it's not do much embarrassing as deluded. 

Old Chinese saying: "A club that has managed one win out of 11 and crashed out of the league cup to a side from a lower league shouldn't try slagging off UK rail companies'.

EDIT - also, perleeaase, trotting out the stuff about 7 league wins, 7 fa cups etc... 

How much of that happened in the last 30 years, or even the last 50?

That bit was laughable, I can't believe they came out with that crap

Seriously, of all the things we could be embarrassed about - our relegation, Lerner, 1 win in 11, another sacked manager - Tony's tweet really isn't one of them. Think it was clear to everyone it was a tongue in cheek comment and a bit of light hearted banter - have no problem with it whatsoever and think people are being way too sensitive. 

@Peter_Withe Besides smashing them through the game,please ask em go to China to study what's the real modern high-speed rail&good service

Hmm. So Villa fans are now being encouraged to contribute to Chinese government propaganda? I sort of resent that. 

If you do go to China be sure to wear a breathing mask to survive the abysmal air pollution.

Tony, please concentrate on us winning some matches in the shit league we are in and forget about advocating China vs UK.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Hmm. So Villa fans are now being encouraged to contribute to Chinese government propaganda? I sort of resent that. 

If you do go to China be sure to wear a breathing mask to survive the abysmal air pollution.

Seriously? This thrump the Dr. Tony's tweets in terms of "embarrassing" every day and twice on Sunday.  Please read back stuff you type before you post, this is just utterly stupid. IMO. 

• Like 2

Â