Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Holloway's comments have their own merit and for the most part it was fair when you look at the full thing.

Xia's reaction was emotional and defensive, which I think at the very least shows his heart is in the right place but he still has quite a bit of wisening up to do especially with the U.K. media and the more sensitive elements of our support hovering.

The worrying thing for me is the amount of vitriol seemingly in reserve for him the moment he puts a foot wrong. God help us if we don't get off to a good start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonno_2004 said:

Holloway's comments have their own merit and for the most part it was fair when you look at the full thing.

Xia's reaction was emotional and defensive, which I think at the very least shows his heart is in the right place but he still has quite a bit of wisening up to do especially with the U.K. media and the more sensitive elements of our support hovering.

The worrying thing for me is the amount of vitriol seemingly in reserve for him the moment he puts a foot wrong. God help us if we don't get off to a good start.

Which in buying the Villa he signed up for. Its part and parcel of owning a football club, even more when you're promising "as big as Barca in ten years" and "spending 30, 40, 50 million pounds", yet in actions at least not coming close to that. 

He made this bed, the twitter stuff makes it worse, yet he still must lie in it.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Why does he hate us?

Why is he a monumental bell-end?

Not sure which player we wanted to buy off them, but basically he said x player was too good for us, "A half arsed club which used to be famous".

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure which player we wanted to buy off them, but basically he said x player was too good for us, "A half arsed club which used to be famous".

He gave a fairly accurate statement about us when rejecting a bid = monumental bell-end?

Fair enough!

• Like 1

Have I missed something? Because I really don't get why some want to jump on the owner so quickly. It's madness. A few crazy tweets and not spending £50 million in 6 weeks and he's not to be trusted. Crazy to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

He gave a fairly accurate statement about us when rejecting a bid = monumental bell-end?

Fair enough!

Oh ok, we should have taken kindly to that hey? Ironically based on your logic, then there should be absolutely no problem with what XIA has said. you can't have it both ways. lol. You are basically SAYING IT IS OK FOR THE OUTSIDER TO TALK SHIT ABOUT US, BUT NOT FOR US TO RESPOND.

• Like 2

Just now, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Have you never heard of Ian Holloway? I would've thought it would be obvious over the last 10 years that Holloway is a bell end.

Personally I've always found him rather amusing and a bit of fresh air in the football world. 

Wouldnt want him anywhere near Villa, but have always enjoyed his anecdotes etc. 

• Like 3

He really needs to stop using social media. It's incredibly naive on his part. I would much prefer our owner do his talking behind the scenes, like getting certain players out of the club and allowing more money to be spent.

As for Holloway, I don't necessarily disagree with his prediction. We largely have the same squad which was utterly shit last season and there are teams like Brighton, Derby, Ipswich and Sheff Wed who are much more well prepared than we are, whilst the other relegated teams, Newcastle and Norwich are also in better shape than ourselves.

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:
8 hours ago, Richard said:

Minimise investment , maximise return 

Which should be the mantra of any business.

No it bloody shouldn't! That's so, so wrong on several levels. if you invest as little as you can get away with, you're not planning to succeed - it's the low rent Mike Ashley approach.

The really successful companies and businesses are much smarter than that. The invest well beyond minimum levels. From Google letting people work a number of hours on whatever they like, to Amazon investing year after year in building and building, for no return at all, other than growing the business, so that eventually the return will be huge.

• Like 2

Totally embarrassing way for an owner of any business, never mind a football club, to behave.

Holloway gets paid to watch the championship and give his opinion. If you don't like it, so be it. There really is no need to attack the man for stating his opinion.

That said, he is a bit of a tit. Nothing to do with his assessment, which I can't really disagree with at this stage. He just is a bit of a tit, really. Fortunately, this is a football forum and I'm not the public face of Aston Villa... yet ;)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Villaninireland said:

Too right he is. I remember him calling us " half arsed club that used to be famous"  when we were after Charlie Adam .

in fairness we only spent the next 5 years proving how right he was

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Totally embarrassing way for an owner of any business, never mind a football club, to behave.

Holloway gets paid to watch the championship and give his opinion. If you don't like it, so be it. There really is no need to attack the man for stating his opinion.

That said, he is a bit of a tit. Nothing to do with his assessment, which I can't really disagree with at this stage. He just is a bit of a tit, really. Fortunately, this is a football forum and I'm not the public face of Aston Villa... yet ;)

Why is this 'totally embarrasing'?  Hollway expressed his opinion, Dr Tone replied......the world does actually work this way!

and please no BS about 'he shouldnt say it because he is our owner'  Mr Lerner was polite and personable.....what did that achieve?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

No it bloody shouldn't! That's so, so wrong on several levels. if you invest as little as you can get away with, you're not planning to succeed - it's the low rent Mike Ashley approach.

The really successful companies and businesses are much smarter than that. The invest well beyond minimum levels. From Google letting people work a number of hours on whatever they like, to Amazon investing year after year in building and building, for no return at all, other than growing the business, so that eventually the return will be huge.

The really successful companies do exactly this. When making any investment decision, ROI usually plays a big part.

Note "minimise investment and maximise returns" does not equal a RL strategy of invest f all and hope for the best. It's about making the right investment decisions. There's no point spending £300million on getting back to the prem if £70mil will do it. That's maximising returns and minimising investment.

• Like 2

Â