Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

I think Xia is getting a crash course in how polar opposite football fans can be, but also needs to see that Villa and the fans are at a massive crossroads and at this moment in time are fragile. A win Sunday, and a couple of 'big' needed signings and a lot of the doubters will turn, but a defeat and no signings for a couple of weeks and the pressure will really be on him.

It seems to me that he is allowing Wyness, RDM and co to get on with their jobs, and it's not Xia not spending, it's more the 'experts' biding their time. RDM has commented that the team needs adding to, and not dismantling in a piece i saw in the Brum Mail today, and i agree. There was a great deal of optimism last summer, and those players added to with leaders and characters with grit, that'll not disappear when going 1-0 down, will make a world of difference. We've seen flashes of quality from Ayew, Veretout, Gueye, Adama and others, and we just need the glue to bring it all together on the pitch (granted Gana is on his way). That's not down to Xia, that's down to RDM, and Xia is letting him assess and do what he needs to do.

I'm fully behind him as it stands, and take some entertainment from his tweets, it's way too early to judge. There have been some positives to date, by employing proven coaching staff and a manager, alongside a proven CEO. The Technical Director appointment will be an interesting signal for me.

• Like 3

Just now, Demitri_C said:

But they are miles ahead of us in terms of going up. We seem very poorly organised tbh

We were yes, we were in a dreadful state. You don't turn around an organisation so dilapidated completely in only 7 weeks. 

I wanted to see more by now in terms of transfer dealings. But we're in no position to pass a judgement like that yet Dem, no matter how frustrating it may be. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We were yes, we were in a dreadful state. You don't turn around an organisation so dilapidated completely in only 7 weeks. 

I wanted to see more by now in terms of transfer dealings. But we're in no position to pass a judgement like that yet Dem, no matter how frustrating it may be. 

Exactly. 

It's only been a couple of months. How can people forget the state this club was in when he bought it?

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Thats my feelings though mate, XiA would have seen the turmoil we were in, and it was obvious what we needed. Yet all we have is a keeper, a cb and a midfield youngster. We were not prepared in the slightest. Ritchie would have been a superb signing for us, why did we not bother making a bid? Why have we still not signed a striker? Why have we still got crap like lescott, bacuna and gabby here? Surely we should have maybe paid one of them off as that would have been better long run for this club?

Newcastle got most of their deals eraly yet we seem to be scrambling around doing nothing. RDMs quotes firstly about evaluating the squad, then saying players need to leave first, followed by he isngt in a rush to sign a striker and then the recent we need to "build on this squad" sounds very fishy to me

• Like 1

Just now, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I think if Lerner were still in charge this preseason would have gone much the same up to this point tbh.

I don't think we would have spent £13m. Or hired RDM etc. 

I don't know how it would have gone but I'd happily stake my reputation on 'worse'.

• Like 2

So are we discounting that it was possibly written on his behalf?

Regardless of whether it is right or wrong, probably wrong but equally **** hilarious, what it does show is that he's certainly confident in his claims.

If he's not got the clout to back it up, he'll be embarrassed and we will certainly not be any worse off than we would have been under Lerner.

1 minute ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I'm not sure how that constitutes 'defendi' Lerner, but Ok

The fact you think he'd have got someone like RDM and Clarke as his coaching team and spending more than most championship clubs. You do know why we're in the championship right? The damage that man caused 

43 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's not true at all. His eyes were wide open and he had time to think before posting the comment. 

Whilst I don't really care, the distinction is an important one. He wasn't "baited", he knew exactly what he was doing. 

Even worse then.

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Can I have Saturday night's lottery numbers too?

Are you for real??? You think that we are gonna sign 5 or 6 new players this week and sell 8 or 9? Because that's the only way it won't be the same **** as last season.  I wanted almost everyone associated with the last few years of disaster to be booted out of the club. That hasn't happened at all and we have had 3 months.

And you think we are gong to make that many changes in ONE WEEK! On top of that, me saying confidently  that that will not happen is akin to predicting the 50 million to one lottery numbers. O....k........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I think if Lerner were still in charge this preseason would have gone much the same up to this point tbh.

Except instead of hiring RDM we'd be having the second coming of McLeish.

Â