Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Well he just confirmed we won't be spending big. That for me is welcome as at the moment we can't risk killing the club.

Hints sales are coming but I believe we will be using a host of youngsters next year. 

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

To be honest, he appointed Bruce based on Wyness' recommendation, and it's not like Bruce hasn't had a track record of promotions. His advisors have been the problem, his job was to back the men that were recruited and he did that. He's not going to say, "Hang on Steve, I've done extensive scouting on Scott Hogan and I don't believe that he will fit in to your style of play. That is the job of our DOF and scouting team. Dr Tony sacked RDM when required and couldn't really sack Bruce with us in the play-offs. Now is the right time for change, but he also needs a new team underneath him to put a proper long term vision in place as opposed to a quick fix, which is all Bruce will have been.

Reminiscent of Randy Lerner in someways, he wasn't exactly the one personally finding and hiring the managers.

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well I’m glad he agreed with those who thought it was a good time to speak. I don’t think that now he’s done it it would be fair for people to complain that it’s not what they want to hear !!

Its couched vaguely as one would expect but I think the key is he - correctly in my view - says the whole decade needs looking at.

Personally I take that to mean only one thing. A new Manager, a new set up, a new approach to systems, scouting, and player development. He has looked at Bournemouth, Southampton as was, Brentford, and other Clubs that have largely eschewed big money approaches, and decided Villa need to shake up. 

I agree. A full revamp is a sensible idea, we’ve been neither one thing or another for too long, and many hitherto ‘ smaller’ clubs have gone past us.

Should be fun, I’m looking forward to it.

Completely agree....As long as if that is indeed the case, we, as fans, accept that promotion will probably take multiple seasons as opposed one more!

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Reads to me that bruce is off and we will be selling players and taking a very different approach. 

Needs to happen. 

Starting to feel a bit lerner which is a worry. 

Yup ...

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Reads to me that bruce is off and we will be selling players and taking a very different approach. 

Needs to happen. 

Starting to feel a bit lerner which is a worry. 

Yes, yes, and not to me it doesn’t. I just get the feeling Xia has seen what he wants whereas Lerner had no idea.

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

Yes, yes, and not to me it doesn’t. I just get the feeling Xia has seen what he wants whereas Lerner had no idea.

Hope so. 

Can't help feeling its similar. Massive spending, with little thought of the future, failure to meet the target and then drastic cuts.

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I am not feeling at all romantically nourished after reading that. 

The last time we really did an overhaul it ended up great fun, third Division, Second, League Cups, Top 5, Championship, Champions of Europe.

It could be an exciting few years, might as well assume the best !,

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully it wakes up the deluded few who kept saying "I enjoy it down here".

I couldn't even bear to go into that thread going on about how good the championship is.

It's not fun when you catch yourselves in that wilderness where the Norwich's, Forests and Leeds are. It can be a long old hard season, watching average football in crowds of 23/24k fans with a squad of decent been around the block pro's that can be out of the chase by Jan/Feb. That's where I see us going because we have no real saleable assets bar Grealish (and i'd be gutted to see him leave more than any player during my time of watching the club).

We really had to go up, the plan and style of play was too short-termist and "win now" for us not to have. We'll be left with a shell of a squad once the oldies and loans have gone and they'll be no carry over from the last 2 years in terms of playing staff and football philosophy to bring with us next season. We'll likely do a Norwich and start over but I don't think the fans will have the patience for the inevitable fall next season and the '2-3 years' spiel that will come out. This league will get old fast that's for sure (well it already has for me).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Hope so. 

Can't help feeling its similar. Massive spending, with little thought of the future, failure to meet the target and then drastic cuts.

Ah yes, I agree on that........but I think he thinks it was daft AND has a better way in mind, whereas Randy just decided it was too costly and lost interest.

5 minutes ago, villanmac said:

I couldn't even bear to go into that thread going on about how good the championship is.

It's not fun when you catch yourselves in that wilderness where the Norwich's, Forests and Leeds are. It can be a long old hard season, watching average football in crowds of 23/24k fans with a squad of decent been around the block pro's that can be out of the chase by Jan/Feb. That's where I see us going because we have no real saleable assets bar Grealish (and i'd be gutted to see him leave more than any player during my time of watching the club).

We really had to go up, the plan and style of play was too short-termist and "win now" for us not to have. We'll be left with a shell of a squad once the oldies and loans have gone and they'll be no carry over from the last 2 years in terms of playing staff and football philosophy to bring with us next season. We'll likely do a Norwich and start over but I don't think the fans will have the patience for the inevitable fall next season and the '2-3 years' spiel that will come out. This league will get old fast that's for sure (well it already has for me).

Yep pretty much sums up my feelings. We are screwed. To go up we need good management and Villa to punch above our weight. The last time that happened for Villa was probably about 20 years ago under Brian Little. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

To me it sounds like he's pleased with how Bruce has done and basically he tries again next season

Major changes ahead - can’t see Bruce staying , for me that was very much a thanks for everything steve but now we need a new strategy 

• Like 4

I think that statement is just a courtesy to the fans and a way to keep good communication going. It probably has been written by the PR team.  Who knows if the doc even read it. 

I wouldn’t read a single thing in to it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

An expected statement, but a truly depressing one.  I for one am still not over the play off final.   What a missed opportunity.  Tearing up the plan and starting again?  Go with something completely new?  Either way, it's going to be a struggle.  I can't even get excited about the new campaign at this point, think of any sales/new signings and the fixtures.    Perhaps I'll feel different in a month or so, but for now I'm done with putting all my energy into this great football club. 

Â