The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

39 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

Done a bit of research on Comolli, he has actually had some considerable success, I didn't even know he was at arsenal but he is credited with finding Clichy and Kolo Toure. 

Because so far all of our ex arsenal staff have been AMAZING.

Cant argue with his record though. Just a bit dubious about another arsenal connection

18 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Couldn't get onto VT for the last half an hour. I thought something had occurred and it was in meltdown mode.

I'm usually like that but I'm so apathetic (pessimistic?) about Villa right now that the thought didn't even occur to me and I just did some homework instead.

19 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Couldn't get onto VT for the last half an hour. I thought something had occurred and it was in meltdown mode.

Same, had a quick trawl of twitter, google results from last hour to see if there was some breaking story....

Everyone is still chewing over the telegraph article though by the looks of it. oh well.

35 minutes ago, Mantis said:

How is that relevant though? The fact that other people have come to Villa from Arsenal and (apparently) failed doesn't have any bearing on Comolli.

I don't have much of an opinion on him either way, I just can't stand this kind of logic because it makes no sense.

It's not really relevant at all to Comolli as as person or his ability.

I'm just pointing out that the last guys we got from arsenal were highly spoken of but in the end didn't really achieve anything positive of note when they were here. In fact fox, almstadt and to a lesser extent garde were all lambasted on here for their failures this season.

My point being something along the lines of, just because someone was good at arsenal doesn't mean they'll do wonders for us. 

1 minute ago, Duck said:

It's not really relevant at all to Comolli as as person or his ability.

I'm just pointing out that the last guys we got from arsenal were highly spoken of but in the end didn't really achieve anything positive of note when they were here. In fact fox, almstadt and to a lesser extent garde were all lambasted on here for their failures this season.

My point being something along the lines of, just because someone was good at arsenal doesn't mean they'll do wonders for us. 

And my point was, just because those guys came from Arsenal and didn't do a great job doesn't mean Comolli will be the same. And if he does fail, it won't be because he once worked for Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

And my point was, just because those guys came from Arsenal and didn't do a great job doesn't mean Comolli will be the same. And if he does fail, it won't be because he once worked for Arsenal.

or Liverpool or Spurs......

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Although if he does fail he will be another on the list of people who have joined us from arsenal and failed :P

We need a complete refit anyway. I'm sure he'd do well if given half a chance

29 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'd rather have the reported fan consortium.

People that know the club and the fans, will not take financial risks and have an interest in the long term future of the club. In development.

The long term future of the club would be better off in the hands of a multi billionaire making vast structural, aesthetic and player investments. Having a passionate group of fans leading the club to consistent mid table in the championship in no consolation for glory.

• Like 3

The long term future of the club would be better off in the hands of a multi billionaire making vast structural, aesthetic and player investments. Having a passionate group of fans leading the club to consistent mid table in the championship in no consolation for glory.

It's too much of a risk in my opinion.

The ideal scenario would be something like the German model. 51% fan owned, 49% whatever.

• Like 1

I like to think of this as the bipolar thread, plunging to the depths of despair then soaring to new heights of ecstatic fantasy at the least little thing, usually triggered by the latest half-baked, made-up story by some football journalist.

Well I'm not pretending to know any details, and I'm not saying there is a direct link, but I think it is true to say that Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool, all challenged for the title and achieved a 2nd Place finish after he left. (Assuming Spurs get 2nd this year). Someone with more time and enthusiasm may be able to show whether there is a connection between what he did when there and these outcomes.

Please yourselves.

Has anyone considered whether the retention of Reilly and the link with this guy  - both of whom are a bit more along the 'moneyball' route - could mean we are continuing with that strategy and that this could be another thing that may have been at complete odds with any changes King and Bernstein wanted ?

Again, I care enough to say it but not to think too hard about it, I'm afraid I am nearly all 'Villared' out.......