Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Why would he? What has he been doing since 2010 ?

i personally hope the speculation around RDM is speculation. This would be a massive gamble  on a manager who has not been around the English game for 5 years.

There are risks, yes. That's why I said IF he had a good backroom he COULD be OK.

My preference was Rodgers. I vould see the sense in Moyrs, although ive never liked him or his football.

Out of the 2 likely candidates it would be Pearson for sure, were it not for concerns about his backroom - if he had guys he's worked with before, when he's had success, then fine, but I don't like the risk of yet another Manager with no proper right hand man, ditto RDM.

As for what RDM has, he has one important thing, he is a winner. Other than that it's hard to say, he has an ordinary record in recent years and yes, could be way out of touch, hence the need for backroom. But I don't know the extent of his knowledge of players in the lowest Leagues. He may know them all inside out !

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

My worry with Rdm is that he would be super defensive and not have the quality of player to get us goals to win matches, this was purely based on his time at Chelsea as I don't recall how he got on with Wba so I had a look at the Championship table the year Wba got promoted and they scored a lot of goals which has given me more hope if Rdm is appointed. Graham Dorrans had 19 assists that year under Rdm and could be a potential signing.

That outlines pretty well why I don't want him. At Chelsea he took over a very defence minded team and turned them into.. well.. a defence minded team. At the baggies he took over an attack minded team that shipped goals and turned them into an attack minded team that shipped goals.

The point is he seems a very passive sort of guy that just maintains the status quo rather than implementing any sort of style of his own, as such i see him as Co pilot, he'll happily fill in for a bit when the Captain wants a kip, he'll play nice with the passenger's and air hostesses, but ultimately he probably hasn't got the skill set to deal with any major problems, which is exactly what he will be walking into a VP. 

Nt: i don't follow European football at all, so my opinion of him has been formed entirely from his time in England. 

That's not quite true though. He succeeded André Villas-Boas at Chelsea who had attempted to implement an expansive style with a high-line. As such they had become worse defensively.

At Schalke he changed to a more defensive set-up also, eventually favouring a back-three in an attempt to make them difficult to beat - which worked for a while. 

To me he seems like a pragmatist, which is a quality that will certainly be required somewhat in the Championship.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

Well at least the opposition players can breathe a sigh of relief

zbuhtqC.gif

qyIFzP9.gif

If it is Pearson, I would be happy for him to do this to Richards, Lescott and Guzan. Just what Bodymoor needs.

• Like 2

One of the many sad cases with Villa has been the matter of the lunatics running the asylum. We showed a bit of wag in the tail during January against Palace and Norwich, until our "senior" players had a whinge. They were reselected, and we resumed our normal programming. I understand that some managers acknowledge that players have too much power, but in our case, we really need a manger that wont take any crap. We need a manager who is prepared to tell some players that the only way they will play in claret and blue again is to go trial for West ham or Burnley, and to also tell them not to get their hopes up for that either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJ said:

One of the many sad cases with Villa has been the matter of the lunatics running the asylum.

This sentence is pure amazing.

I'd give the job to Keane and give him free rein to clear out the deadwood. Just because I want to see what happens when Gabby tries to take the piss when Roy has no one to hold him back!! 

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

RDM has the same level of experience in buying a team as Sherwood had  and I am 100% certain it will end the same way.

The issues with Sherwood didn't just stop at lack of transfer window experience though did it.

Also as far as I can see RDM has experienced 2 pre seasons in the past with MK Dons and West Brom as opposed to Sherwood's none.

16 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

RDM has the same level of experience in buying a team as Sherwood had  and I am 100% certain it will end the same way.

I don't see how you can be 100% certain of something that hasn't happened yet ;)

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Thank God it looks like not being Pearson anyway.  Moyes would have been my first choice but I've always respected Di Matteo, he has adapted as a manager whether with lower league teams or Chelsea and I'm sure he will be good for us if he is appointed.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Tbf not many had that experience in buying a team, most inherit a team and build on things instead of making drastic changes. For that sort of experience I could recommend ...Arry redknob?

48 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Sorry but this not true at all Di Matteo signed Hazard, and Oscar at Chelsea. Where has Sherwood signed those calibre type players? 

Also can I point out those talking about RDMs record at Schalke you are aware they beat Real Madrird 4-3 in champions league at the Bearnabu? Thats impressive. Schalke also finished 6th which is not a disgrace. I think people just liek to moan for sake of it.

Either RDM or Pearson would be good appointments in my eyes, far better than fistface or mccarthy

Pearson wont take it because he has been made to feel like a bottom shelf prize at a  carny ring toss stand. If Di Matteo says no, who is left? Tim Sherwood?81758469.gif

Oh God...NO!!!

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry but this not true at all Di Matteo signed Hazard, and Oscar at Chelsea. Where has Sherwood signed those calibre type players?

Off the top of my head he also brought in Peter Odemwingie at West Brom I think

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AJ said:

Pearson wont take it because he has been made to feel like a bottom shelf prize at a  carny ring toss stand. If Di Matteo says no, who is left? Tim Sherwood?81758469.gif

Oh God...NO!!!

Who is this and how can I learn more?!

• Like 3