Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I care so little about Pearson doing that  - and actually found it funny anyway.

I thought Moyes would get it, so much so I put enough on him last week to pay for my season ticket. Been on holiday and didn't know for sure he had turned us down until tonight.  He would've been ok. I wondered all along how much he really wanted it - I certainly don't want anyone who reckons they are too good for us.  And he isn't too good for us. So bye bye no tears shed.

I was a little surprised to hear how he had 'impressed' by saying he might need to build 3 teams - Id have thought that should be obvious to anyone, especially the owners, and presumably Pearson and RDM said it to ?  If they didn't .............. that's the problem with fans - we have no idea at all how these guys actually present themselves, so we have no way of knowing who is the right fit.

Having said that, I prefer Pearson to RDM - I'm not convinced exactly what RDM brings 'to the table' as they say, (aware of his record but not what he did - and he has flopped a bit to) he'd be ok as a Manager but how well does he know who is out there to come into the side ?  Because of that  I reckon McCarthy would do ok too, he must know the qualities and failings of every player in the country by now.  I don't think we are in the position of having a lot of choice.  I like the fact that this would be one hell of a job for Pearson - for him it'd be like winning the pools and I think he could cope with and use that.  I don't see him looking after us in the Premier League afterwards but who cares ?  Managers would be queueing up by then.  His 'arrogance' and bullying nature ? Irrelevant, unproven, based on very little. Those who complain of it must live very sheltered lives, make me laugh they do. His record ? Good enough.  His playing style - I actually quite like it but its irrelevant if it gets results anyway.  Drawback - his background staff - few coaches are good without their own guys.

But all that really matters now is we get it done. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

From this interview, Xia clearly expressed that he is not happy with the current scouting team at Villa.

I am curious to know, if this is his personal observation (which requires him following the club for quite a long time to know this), or him knowing this from somewhere else (his team, or even from current owners?)

A lot of the blame for relegation was placed on last summer's recruitment. It has been widely reported all season. Whether it's the person specifically managing the recruitment ( Riley and team) or the manager deciding the players (Sherwood) most to blame is a matter of much debate.  

There have also been reports of the scouting team living nowhere near the places they are supposed to scout.

tl:dr - he doesn't need much knowledge to bin off Riley.

Edited by rubberman

9 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

So if the telegraph is right it's  RDM.  Personally I think it's a big risk as he has no experience building a team and we need a compete overhaul.  Would feel a lot happier with Pearson.   

Pearson without his backroom guys - how do we know that works ?

Who does RDM work with ?  Who does he work with that knows the players in the lower Leagues ?  That probably matters more.  If he has guys that cover that he could be a good choice.

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

to:dr - he doesn't need much knowledge to bin off Riley.

That said I would still give him credit for doing it. Lerner seemed oblivious to the issues at the club for almost his entire tenure here, Xia doesn't even have his foot in the door yet and he's already improved the club.

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

A lot of the blame for relegation was placed on last summer's recruitment. It has been widely reported all season. Whether it's the person specifically managing the recruitment ( Riley and team) or the manager deciding the players (Sherwood) most to blame is a matter of much debate.  

There have also been reports of the scouting team living nowhere near the places they are supposed to scout.

to:dr - he doesn't need much knowledge to bin off Riley.

All true but the OP is correct to query it - how does Tony know this ?

44 minutes ago, imavillan said:

er hello....wtf is this nonsense.... what the hell has skin colour got to do with it all?

He has just signed a lengthy new contract with Brighton. All the managers we are being linked with are currently out of work. 

Heh, heh, "lengthy".

:mellow:

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

All true but the OP is correct to query it - how does Tony know this ?

Sorry - that was meant to be my point. Tony may well only know because it's been widely reported. Personally I'm not sure Riley is that much of a problem. The individual players we got in were less bad than the sum of their parts if you know what I mean. There was no shape or strategy to the recruitment - not Rileys fault. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think you would be quite surprised away from this site how many fans do favour him?

so its fitting that I wrote what I did.

Ps I know....you be the North pole and I'll be the South Pole.

Do you have actually have any hard evidence? In any case, is it even relevant? It's clear that there are significant numbers who don't want Pearson. It's perfectly understandable that some people are pleased he's apparently snubbed us.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I hold the exact opposite view- I'm delighted that Moyes has chosen not to join us. I am struggling to see what he offers over and above Nigel Pearson. For me and many Evertonians I see a very dour manager whose teams tend to replicate him as a person. At least Pearson's teams by and large have a right good go at winning football matches- sorry for repeating myself but even when losing games last season they were in there fighting and playing some pretty decent stuff. Let's just get it done please'

Fine. I disagree but at the same time I can at least understand that not everyone is going to want Moyes. I'm not going to start telling you that you shouldn't be happy Moyes rejected us.

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Pearson without his backroom guys - how do we know that works ?

Who does RDM work with ?  Who does he work with that knows the players in the lower Leagues ?  That probably matters more.  If he has guys that cover that he could be a good choice.

Why would he? What has he been doing since 2010 ?

i personally hope the speculation around RDM is speculation. This would be a massive gamble  on a manager who has not been around the English game for 5 years.

1 hour ago, Deisler123 said:

From this interview, Xia clearly expressed that he is not happy with the current scouting team at Villa.

I am curious to know, if this is his personal observation (which requires him following the club for quite a long time to know this), or him knowing this from somewhere else (his team, or even from current owners?)

he would have had to watch about 20 minutes of any of our games this season to know the scouting department are crap

• Like 1

Di Matteo is a very meh appointment, nothing to get me excited about at the moment. Rather prefer Pearson who is a better manager and has a lot more recent experience of the league

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Why would he? What has he been doing since 2010 ?

i personally hope the speculation around RDM is speculation. This would be a massive gamble  on a manager who has not been around the English game for 5 years.

Actually, it's more like 3 and a half years, not that it's particularly important anyway (IMO).

1 hour ago, Holtern8 said:

12 mentions from for Houghton in the thread including the responses to my post.....so about 5 if that. Would have expected more. Disappointing, he'd have fit the job like a glove on a hand. 

Have you tried searching for his actual name? It's 'Hughton' not 'Houghton'

My worry with Rdm is that he would be super defensive and not have the quality of player to get us goals to win matches, this was purely based on his time at Chelsea as I don't recall how he got on with Wba so I had a look at the Championship table the year Wba got promoted and they scored a lot of goals which has given me more hope if Rdm is appointed. Graham Dorrans had 19 assists that year under Rdm and could be a potential signing.

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rather prefer Pearson who is a better manager 

What does Pearson do that is better than RDM? What makes him better? Im not saying he is or not, just curious. To say one is clearcut better than the other, must be some pretty solid examples + justifications you can give

Edited by gharperr

Who is advising the Dr to bring in a manager? Those dodgy CEOs that are joining him? Prefer if we went with Pearson. Di Matteo might be okay .. but not sure he has the personality to get the best out of whoever remains from this season. Can't sell them all unfortunately.