Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Moyes won't go to a championship club and Rodgers is insane in the head. 

Grayson is definitely a 'safe' choice but it's what we need imo, I don't believe we will come straight back up so a manager who can stabilise and steady the club in the championship and provide a solid foundation to build off going forward in the next few years is what we should aim for.

None of this go for broke or bust malarkey that seems to be going on everywhere, just a steady settling down for 2-3 years, no drama, no anger and just quietly getting on with things while we wait for Lerner to make up his mind about whether he wants to see sense and sell up at a reasonable price or if he is going to try again and start seriously investing and taking care of us.

Grayson for me represents that calmness I'm hoping for.

you see..thats the difference..villa are not a championship club, a big club with potential in the prem under the right owner.yes villa will be in the championship next season but dont be fooled. if moyes set out a 5 year plan ala mon.. randy would have to back it, lets face it, tim/alex/remi/lamb/houl/ etc were told just keep in the league & cut the wage bill, this has let to a slow demise,,no matter how you mask it, the next manager must TELL randy "this is how we do it, back the plan or stay demise"

i dont see any other manager apart from moyes laying it down to randy straight, give moyes 5 year deal,this will send a clear message to the players whos the boss, the current players know remi is dead man walking,the club needs a shift of power to the manager. 

moyes has been quoted saying villa is a big club when he was at everton.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

you see..thats the difference..villa are not a championship club, a big club with potential in the prem under the right owner.yes villa will be in the championship next season but dont be fooled. if moyes set out a 5 year plan ala mon.. randy would have to back it, lets face it, tim/alex/remi/lamb/houl/ etc were told just keep in the league & cut the wage bill, this has let to a slow demise,,no matter how you mask it, the next manager must TELL randy "this is how we do it, back the plan or stay demise"

i dont see any other manager apart from moyes laying it down to randy straight, give moyes 5 year deal,this will send a clear message to the players whos the boss, the current players know remi is dead man walking,the club needs a shift of power to the manager. 

That's the problem, Randy has shown no inclination to do that.  Moyes would come if there was a change of ownership on the horizon, but then if there was a change, I'd quite like to see what Remi could actually build if given some tools to work with.  It's all irrelevant, the best we can hope for is someone who has won promotion on a relatively limited budget before.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's the problem, Randy has shown no inclination to do that.  Moyes would come if there was a change of ownership on the horizon, but then if there was a change, I'd quite like to see what Remi could actually build if given some tools to work with.  It's all irrelevant, the best we can hope for is someone who has won promotion on a relatively limited budget before.

your right ..the root problem is RL ,the branch has been handed to all the managers post mon, 

mon has the plan,yes it cost but it got villa where they should be, this cost cutting post mon is costing more , tv ££ etc 

if randy wants to make it marketable to sell it, hes going to have to get it where mon took it, it may take 10 years & he knows it,

Grayson hasn't really done enough for me, Southgate sprung to mind a few times when we were changing managers for me but again just not shown enough. He has the intelligence for it though.

Little is a good mould to look at for a replacement. He had two or three consecutive playoff disappointments before the move to Villa. Think one had a controversial goal given after a comeback. But he was around 40 when he came to us with a strong record in the second tier. 

its going to go two ways ,randy will take on a manager bruce/pearson/grayson/...this list is endless , this tier of manager is same meat different gravy to tim/houl/lamb/alex etc 

or we get moyes, over to hollis & brian to get the right man in,

the early signs are bruce is the target 

Would Moyes accept to work under what seems to be the Villa set up with a DOF kind of guy and having to report to a "football board"? I would have thought that Moyes would require full control and if so, he will not be our new manager. Southgate could be a great shout - not sure I want him but sounds rather possible. 

1 minute ago, villanwesty88 said:

Garry Monk anyone? Thought it was harsh he was fired at Swansea. 

same as the old lot, the next manager must have demand the respect from the tea lady to the owner, a manager with full control on pretty much everything, can you see monk/ pearson/ remi (if not sacked) getting these vital boxes ticked.. its now about fancying a pop at this manager or trying to tickle the players with a french dialog .its about sending out a message to the championship teams , were only visiting here ,,were going back to where we belong.. TOP FLUFFING 6 in the prem!!

I just checked and it looks like Brian Little signed Grayson for Villa in '97. Reliable player who would play anywhere he was asked. There's obviously going to be a relationship between them - no idea if it's good or bad. Southgate was Little's captain right? Also knows Bernstein from his time at the FA.

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I just checked and it looks like Brian Little signed Grayson for Villa in '97. Reliable player who would play anywhere he was asked. There's obviously going to be a relationship between them - no idea if it's good or bad. Southgate was Little's captain right? Also knows Bernstein from his time at the FA.

we call his larry on the terraces ,was a steady player, no more no less. 

when City was in Championship he went and got Keegan as manager so would imagine Bernstein could try for a similar manager like Moyes

It will be difficult to get a manager now who is in charge of a team challenging for promotion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

when City was in Championship he went and got Keegan as manager so would imagine Bernstein could try for a similar manager like Moyes

It will be difficult to get a manager now who is in charge of a team challenging for promotion

Maybe Rodgers too?

I could see the club going for Lennon, has Championship experience and used to working with his hands tied behind his back like he was at Bolton and crucially he is free

horrible move but could see it

Just now, Zatman said:

I could see the club going for Lennon, has Championship experience and used to working with his hands tied behind his back like he was at Bolton and crucially he is free

horrible move but could see it

Plus, when the players step out of line, he can always just threaten them with a knife.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbr600rr said:

I'm obviously not going to change your mind :) but I honestly believe Grayson is exactly what we need. What is the point of coming back up under Lerner? Just to fight against relegation again? No thanks.

Lot of ifs and buts there, randy is staying for the foreseeable until someone buys us from him. Randy won't listen to any manager telling him what needed to happen, he was burnt from the Mon days.

Oh and we are very much a championship club these days in terms of finances, size and budget. Not nice to admit it but it's true.