Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Why do people care if the manager is likeable or not? Lambert was likeable when he joined and now when I see a picture of him I want to punch it. The vast majority of our players were likeable when they joined and now I **** hate nearly every single **** one of those words removed. Lerner was a bloody knight in shining armour when he came and now there's banners, scarves and shirts demanding he **** off. 

I've gone past caring much about personality with the people who come into this club. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

What 

a manager that wins and builds teams, do you believe every thing you read about him. Apparently he also eats rats and shits fire . FFS

I believe what I've seen and what has been written about him widely in the national press. and also what I was told by the (Chief) scout of Leicester yes. 

His record outside of last seasons miraculous escape (a once off in my eyes) is mediocre at best especially with all the baggage that comes with him. The guys a clearing in the woods ! 

Do you ignore what is front of your eyes ? 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Why do people care if the manager is likeable or not? Lambert was likeable when he joined and now when I see a picture of him I want to punch it. The vast majority of our players were likeable when they joined and now I **** hate nearly every single **** one of those words removed. Lerner was a bloody knight in shining armour when he came and now there's banners, scarves and shirts demanding he **** off. 

I've gone past caring much about personality with the people who come into this club. 

You have to form some affinity to players and managers alike, otherwise how can you support them?

Lambert went down in everyone's opinion after slowly killing us with boring football over three seasons, but as you said, he was likeable when he joined.

McLeish came to the club, no one liked him and no one really ever backed him even when we won. The crowd turned quickly because he was never rated or wanted by the fanbase.

Pearson and Potato Head IMO would be the same. Either not personally likeable or not rated. It wouldn't take too many games of indifferent performances next season under either of them to get the fans vocally against them. Then we'd be back to square one.

This next appointment is the most vital. Next year's goal is crystal clear, we have to return to the Premier League.

And therefore, the management position has to be filled by someone that the fans will get behind and back. Neither Pearson (and his fabled 7 run win) or Bruce (two seasons on relegation battle followed by relegation) will have that support from the vast majority of fans and the knives will be out as soon as things go south.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I believe what I've seen and what has been written about him widely in the national press. and also what I was told by the (Chief) scout of Leicester yes. 

His record outside of last seasons miraculous escape (a once off in my eyes) is mediocre at best especially with all the baggage that comes with him. The guys a clearing in the woods ! 

Some people manage to ignore that the escape came after his own abysmal work in the first place.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

The problem is that none of us know how any potential manager will work out. A lot depends on how well they're backed financially. 

I'm in favour of Moyes, don't really fancy Pearson or Bruce, mainly because I don't like them as characters. If either got the job then I'd still support them in the desperate hope that they could get us playing well and promoted. Whether they're capable though, flip only knows. Footballs too unpredictable. 

Since when has liking a manager been a prerequisite to him being able to do the job  . Beggars can't be choosers at the moment and our arses our hanging out the back of our strides 

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

No 

I see a manager who wins

a manager who can build a team and had some gonads to stand up to the board and players with attitude. Do you think cloughie ferguson and Ron Saunders were angels . You are on another planet

What 

a manager that wins and builds teams, do you believe every thing you read about him. Apparently he also eats rats and shits fire . FFS

This is what I don't understand, he's not even a "winner". He's had 4 clubs in nearly 20 years, and only been successful with one of them. Not exactly a "banker", why does everyone think he's a **** messiah?

3 minutes ago, babyblue said:

His own abysmal work? What, getting a club promoted form league one and then promoted from the Championship at a canter. I'm a Leicester fan, and the bloke was nothing short of brilliant for us.

It's really quite clear I'm talking about the points total he acquired before the last 9 games.

I also think you're overstating the influence he had on the modernising of Leicester. Your owners and board have done a fantastic job though.

I also don't care about the Ostrich stuff. There's far more about him to despise.

• Like 2

Just now, mwj said:

This is what I don't understand, he's not even a "winner". He's had 4 clubs in nearly 20 years, and only been successful with one of them. Not exactly a "banker", why does everyone think he's a **** messiah?

Eh... 4 clubs in 20 years? His first real job was with us starting in 2008. Before that he was just caretaker manager at places, or an assistant. Not sure you can judge someone on those roles, but he did keep Carlisle up and he kept Southampton up during those brief spells.

He had two different spells with us, both times he had to completely create a new team and it worked both times. He barely even got started at Hull, he had to clear the decks there also to get them on a steady financial footing after relegation.

How he builds teams works. He's brilliant at getting a team spirit. He'll dump any bad eggs, no matter what they cost, what their name is or what wages they are on. That's non negotiable, he needs everyone pulling together. When you get the spirit right, good things can happen... see us. He has a basic approach to the game, 4-4-2, pace up top and wingers. Two box to box midfielders, two no nonsense cb's and two attacking full pages. There is no major footballing philosphy, he plays to win and he's happy to do anything that means 3 points. Some games you might have to launch it long, other times you'll play amazing passing football and rip people to bits... what you'll have is a team comfortable in doing both. I

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mediocre? His first job at Southampton was poor but he was only there a short while. Leicester (spell 1) he won League 1 and then 5th in the first season back in the Championship before being shafted by the board who wanted a fancy overseas name in, Paula Sousa, who failed miserably.

He went to Hull, who were 12th when he took over and they finished 9th. The next season they were just outside the play offs before he went back to Leicester after Mandaric left. Back at Leicester, he stabilised them when he got there (did better than what Sven Goran Eriksson did with the players), and next season took them to the play offs (knocked out by Watford) and following year won the Championship. He also finished 14th in their first season back in the Premier League

You may say that is mediocre, but i disagree. I think its a decent record and exactly the type of CV that is needed to be the next Villa manager. As for being likeable? Who cares?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It's really quite clear I'm talking about the points total he acquired before the last 9 games.

I also think you're overstating the influence he had on the modernising of Leicester. Your owners and board have done a fantastic job though.

I also don't care about the Ostrich stuff. There's far more about him to despise.

I'd imagine a Leicester fan knows much more than you on who had an influence on their club. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Some people manage to ignore that the escape came after his own abysmal work in the first place.

Abysmal? First season back in the Premier League after a number of years and they finish 14th. Hardly abysmal? Even when they were bottom the players were putting a shift in, which is my biggest concern with Villa at the minute. No one seems to give a shit

I'm not sure if Pearson is the answer but i'd rather start next season with him in charge rather than Garde

20 minutes ago, babyblue said:

His own abysmal work? What, getting a club promoted form league one and then promoted from the Championship at a canter. I'm a Leicester fan, and the bloke was nothing short of brilliant for us.

I've never felt like the club was in better hands than when he was in charge. He changed the club form top to bottom, not just on the pitch but also off it. He revolutionised the scouting and sports science departments, he doesn't accept things being run badly behind the scenes and will control almost everything. He'd sort you out and give you a great setup to be proud of... if he was given the time to do so, we've profited massively from all the setup he left behind.

The players and almost all the staff absolutely loved him. The person you see in front of the camera is not the person you'd meet in the street, or the one that works with the players. He hates the press, his issues come from that. He can seem boring etc, but it just comes from him not wanting to give anything away. It's all behind closed doors stuff as far as he's concerned, he does it to protect the players.

He's not perfect by any means, tactically he can be frustrating sometimes. He'll stick with tactics and players too long if they aren't working out of loyalty to the players, but he'll get there eventually. What he'll give you though is a young exciting teams, playing with pace and wingers. A team with great spirit that will run through brick walls for each other. You'll feel proud of your club and team again, you'll start the get that affinity with players that you've probably been lacking for some time (we were as well until he came in).

He won't spend money for the sake of it. When he was here it was almost like he treated the money as his own, if he signed someone huge amounts of work went into making sure they were the right people, as well as decent players. They always tried to get "value", that was one of his key words. Scouring the country and Europe for bargains, rather than just chucking millions at the normal names or has beens.

Recruitment is key for Pearson, and that's where the problem is. Steve Walsh, his right hand man is still with us (to anyone wondering why he's not got a job yet, that's why). Will he want to drop down to the championship from a team probably going to be in the champions league... and will you pay the £1m+ that it would take to get him. Without Walsh, I'm not sure I'd have exactly the same faith in Pearson being able to turn you around. With him, I'm positive he could do it.

People need to ignore the shit from last year, that was really blown out of all proportion. He called someone an Ostrich FFS, managers have and will do a damn site worse than that. In all the years he was here, they'd all past of without incident prior to last season, and half of that was all stirred up by the press. Mainly because they hate the fact he is a closed book, he won't give them anything to work with.

Thanks for the insight. 

Good luck for the title, the vast majority of the country are behind you! 

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

You can't look at that and pin it on him. Our biggest issue in the first summer back was recuitment and we failed to strengthen in key areas, there is a reason our DOF got the tin tack half way into the season. Once we got to January and got Huth in we sorted some of the issues out, the issues that were remaining were left back and a DM. He had Fuchs and Kante lined up at the end of the season before he left.

He's not perfect, he made a rod for his own back during the season. But he was learning just like the players were. We played well for the majority of the season and really didn't get the rub of the green a lot of the time. We were often let down by individual errors from certain players (players he wanted to replace in the summer), but we didn't have much option but to play them.

I'm not overstating his influence at all. It all started long before the new owners came in, our whole scouting and sports science departments upped sticks with him and went to Hull. They then all followed him back again on his return. He's a great believer in marginal gains. Trying to improve every area of the club, every player, going that extra mile with everything that might only get you 1 or 2 % extra from someone... but with the belief those percentages add up and can take you above your opponent.

He's someone who can come in, get rid of all your shit, lift the black cloud, give you a team to be proud of and whatever happens, leave you with a fantastic setup that's run properly.

• Like 2