Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I wonder about Moyes - needs to rebuild his reputation (so do we), needs to start from scratch (so do we), embodies 'stability' (what we are looking for), Randy is a massive fan. Could we be getting shot of remi in order to steal a march on Newcastle who will inevitably need to replace rafa come the end of the season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I wonder about Moyes - needs to rebuild his reputation (so do we), needs to start from scratch (so do we), embodies 'stability' (what we are looking for), Randy is a massive fan. Could we be getting shot of remi in order to steal a march on Newcastle who will inevitably need to replace rafa come the end of the season?

Forget the Man U job, as he was always on a hiding to nothing. But the jobs he did before then at PNE and Everton are exactly what we need if he still has it in him.

• Like 2

Should have googled him earlier - we can forget Moyes going on some recent comments about the Celtic job -

“Who knows, who knows, I would never say never but obviously I’ve got ambitions to win things.

“I’d want to be at a club that would give me every chance to win and be involved in the Champions League and be at the top level.

“I’m saying this with total respect but I don’t think the Celtic squad is good enough to reach the levels that they want. That’s a no-brainer if you ask me.”

I think this is the thing for me, people say what's the point in getting rid of Garde now. I say we have more to gain than if we waited.

For a start, time is on our side. Out of the bottom three, were the only ones who know we're relegated. Mathematical or not, we know we're down. Other clubs are still fighting. This means we can have a good look about, good conversations and maybe even appoint the manager we want without any competition.

As someone's already said, as soon as Newcastle know they're down, they'll also need to find someone. I see a lot to gain in getting in the market sooner.

Who will it be? I don't think we'll be looking abroad. We haven't for years until Garde and he wasn't exactly a raging success. It will be someone with experience in the league and most likely British. I can't see Moyes coming down to that level for us. He's had CL football for a while now, why give it up for a cold night in Preston?

Lots of possibilities. Steve Bruce and Nigel Pearson have been mentioned but this is Villa. Always include some outside bets. Mick McCarthy? Malky Mackay? Paul Lambert. Again? Or Remi Garde committing his future to the club for another season and us accepting that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam3773 said:

I think this is the thing for me, people say what's the point in getting rid of Garde now. I say we have more to gain than if we waited.

For a start, time is on our side. Out of the bottom three, were the only ones who know we're relegated. Mathematical or not, we know we're down. Other clubs are still fighting. This means we can have a good look about, good conversations and maybe even appoint the manager we want without any competition.

As someone's already said, as soon as Newcastle know they're down, they'll also need to find someone. I see a lot to gain in getting in the market sooner.

Who will it be? I don't think we'll be looking abroad. We haven't for years until Garde and he wasn't exactly a raging success. It will be someone with experience in the league and most likely British. I can't see Moyes coming down to that level for us. He's had CL football for a while now, why give it up for a cold night in Preston?

Lots of possibilities. Steve Bruce and Nigel Pearson have been mentioned but this is Villa. Always include some outside bets. Mick McCarthy? Malky Mackay? Paul Lambert. Again? Or Remi Garde committing his future to the club for another season and us accepting that.

Moyes out of that list is the only one who would keep me believing that we are still a big club. The guy sounds a bit deluded to think that any top 6 team will go for him. Maybe Bernstein can 'get in his ear'.

• Like 1

Moyes out of that list is the only one who would keep me believing that we are still a big club. The guy sounds a bit deluded to think that any top 6 team will go for him. Maybe Bernstein can 'get in his ear'.

I like Moyes a lot and wanted him to come a couple of times now. I would be very pleased if we could find a way of bringing him in.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why are people suggesting Clement in this thread? Has had exactly one managerial job, in which he failed quite badly in the division we're going to, despite being given a massive transfer budget. No thanks. 

My bad, but think it's a it harsh to say he failed quite badly st Derby as they were in the hunt for promotion. Who knows how it would of panned out if he wasn't sacked under unusual circumstances ie Derby chairman actually not wanting promotion. He has worked under some of the greatest managers of our era, has worked at Chelsea, PSG & Real Madrid so used to dealing with egos. He is highly rated within the game, brodgers failed at Watford badly only to excel at Swansea. One failure doesn't mean he can't be a success here. I think he has the potential to be a great manager. Plus he isn't Pearson. But I can understand why some fans wouldn't want him. Just one of my personal preferences. 

Be interesting to see who has the major role in this next appointment, has to be Bernstein and SBL surely?

Interestingly when Man. City went down in 2001 from the prem Bernstein went out and got Kevin Keegan who'd been England manager just 6 months before and was a bit of a coup for Man. City, they came back up very easily as champions and then stayed up comfortably.

So with that wouldn't shock me if they approached Moyes but I just don't see him coming here.

9 minutes ago, thabucks said:

My bad, but think it's a it harsh to say he failed quite badly st Derby as they were in the hunt for promotion. Who knows how it would of panned out if he wasn't sacked under unusual circumstances ie Derby chairman actually not wanting promotion. He has worked under some of the greatest managers of our era, has worked at Chelsea, PSG & Real Madrid so used to dealing with egos. He is highly rated within the game, brodgers failed at Watford badly only to excel at Swansea. One failure doesn't mean he can't be a success here. I think he has the potential to be a great manager. Plus he isn't Pearson. But I can understand why some fans wouldn't want him. Just one of my personal preferences. 

Fair enough, thank you for explaining. I don't agree, but I can see your logic. 

• Like 1

I'd throw everything at moyes, give him a contract with massive bonuses and let Him do what he wants.

pearson shouldn't be allowed anywhere near us.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

Thing is they are all as much as a gamble as keeping Garde is.You could argue that RG has been there long enough now to realize what the problems are, and what needs to be done to rectify them.A new manager will come in, assess the situation, and we could be in the same position in 6 months time.

Fact is, there is only 1 player in our current team who is Prem ability, the rest either flatter, are disinterested, or lack ability, that is not Gardes fault, and to be honest, if it is going to cost £4m to get rid of him, then i would rather keep him, give him the funds, and support, and let him get on with it.

The appointment of Pearson or Bruce, would just complete my indifference towards evnts at VP

Give Remi a year with his own players, see how he gets on. If things still aren't going well then get Warburton, his teeth are well and truly cut plus he did a great job with Brentford in the championship getting them to the play offs. 

1st choice ..moyes.. if the owner wants to get this club back in the prem & on a stable footing for a sale etc moyes is the man,he wont be cheap or his plan to get back but thats the deal

pearson falls into the "chance" bracket,

bruce is proven in league but hes dropped out the prem a couple of times also so hes in bracket of "chance"