The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

It really is. Wages aren't high, but living costs are cheap as anything. I have a comfier life here than I would in a major city, in the same job, in the UK.

And it's primed to grow, just like Ireland was in the 1980s. The Poles, a great bunch of lads, as Dave O'Leary would say.

Tangent: Barry Eichengreen on the future of the euro. Short version: he thinks it'll be fine.

Edited to add: an excellent analysis of the implications for the NI border. It really does look inevitable that it'll be policed again. Annoying, very problematic for border towns like Newry and Derry, and ultimately extremely dangerous if e.g. economically disenfranchised young men in Derry decide they don't like that border.

Edited by Enda
  • Like 1

The Irish border thing is destined to be a mess that will bite some government of the arse a few years down the line. Every option is hopeless. It's also testament to how much of a **** Westminster gives about Northern Ireland.

As for the parliamentary discussion... It's been as useful as expected. Good for proper procedure and parliamentary sovereignty, but has achieved to date the sum total of **** all else.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

The Irish border thing is destined to be a mess that will bite some government of the arse a few years down the line. Every option is hopeless. It's also testament to how much of a **** Westminster gives about Northern Ireland.

As for the parliamentary discussion... It's been as useful as expected. Good for proper procedure and parliamentary sovereignty, but has achieved to date the sum total of **** all else.

I dunno, it might finally mean we see less of Diane Abbott on the telebox.

• Like 2

Brexit goes ahead completely and entirely unamended, EU citizens in the UK given no guarantees, Lords threatened if they dare oppose...

This country is run by a parade of words removed.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

EU citizens in UK given no more guarantees than UK citizens in the EU. Good.

The other side are not going to play this by Queensbury rules so leaving the fate of UK nationals to be used by EU negotiators as a blackmailing tool would be idiotic.  Don't want to pay €60Bn as an exit fee? Think of your people in Europe...

Self indulgent virtue signaling is not the kind of sentimental stupidity the UK negotiators can afford to engage in. Merkel had the chance to sort this months ago on a quid pro quo basis and refused. It should now be the earliest and easiest part of this thing to agree once negotiations kick off. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Awol said:

Merkel had the chance to sort this months ago on a quid pro quo basis and refused. It should now be the earliest and easiest part of this thing to agree once negotiations kick off. 

Do you want to quickly explain how Merkel has the authority to decide say, Portuguese or Belgian immigration policy towards citizens of a non-EU country, any more than she can decide how those countries treat a Chinese or Indian national?

Edited by ml1dch

Also, I thought we weren't allowed to discuss any facet of the negotiations before we triggered article 50?

I mean, how dare Merkel (one of 27 leaders) not guarantee our rights in Europe. Virtue signalling snowflake!

As a UK resident in an EU country, I am outraged.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

As a UK resident in an EU country, I am outraged

I am in that particular boat also.

I wonder what the rule might be,  you can stay if X,Y and Z

I have worked since the day I got here Jan 3rd 2001.

I have a Dutch wife and a Dutch Mortgage.

I have 3 Dutch step kids and a Dutch Granddaughter.

I pay more income tax per month than most peoples Net figure monthly salary.

Would they still kick me out ?

I am applying for an Irish Passport at the moment anyway and that will be easy peezy to get I think.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

There's one or two posters on here I'd expect to demean themselves with loaded phrases like 'virtue signaling', and AWOL wasn't one of them.

Oh well.

:wave:

But it is such a beautifully accurate phrase to describe virtuous opinions not guaranteed to be followed by virtuous actions.

As I voted remain I only see whats happening now as a farce. On one hand I think we should cut ties completely and truly decide on what kind of country we want to be. On the other taking the decision has already isolated us and made us need to cosy up to Trump.

Watching PMQ this morning, more than ever we will just not give a straight answer to anything, because we dont know the answer or know the answer is screwing alot of people over and dont want to publicise it. 

Unfortunately the success of us going it alone seems unlikely, we are not the strong commercial naval power we once were. We have the ability and technology but need the co-operation of others to make it work, this Government will not invest in the areas needed to make it a success. I also have no faith in a Conservative Government to deliver a strong situation for the poorer among us. Part of our bargaining power will be to allow massive companies access to our public services, ultimately leading to service demise and increased cost. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Nicho said:

As I voted remain I only see whats happening now as a farce

Agreed,  but what happened to cause the leave vote was and always will be a farce as well or we would not be leaving ?

It cannot be that the majority of the population end up with nothing left at the end of each and every month.  Had this not been the case then I suspect remain would have won.  The counter argument is that they will have less now,  0 x 0 = 0 anyways.  Maybe they just get into more debt,  I don't know but I suppose the banks would absolutely love that anyway as a form of punishment.  It was totally preventable but the ruling class thought the little poor people would never have the balls to do it,  they did.  The hate and total contempt held for the ruling class was highlighted by the Welsh vote.

Â