The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

May is due to meet Peugeot parent PSA, who are due to buy GM's European arm, which includes Vauxhall. Vauxhall loses money, PSA obviously have concerns about Brexit...

...Remember the Nissan deal?

It would be hilarious if only it wasn't real people's livelihoods and futures at stake.

• Like 1

On 17 February 2017 at 11:26, peterms said:

In a list of people you would prefer never to hear another word from ever again, these two clowns would surely make most people's top five.

Agreed but 8 months after the vote it is nice to hear at least one notable public figure speaking for 48% of those that voted. 

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Blair. Champion of the people :)

But of course...

I think this has relatively little to do with Brexit, other than as a totemic issue upon which to launch Blair's attempted political comeback. 

He may tongue dictator hoop for cash but he's no fool and sees the gapping Blair shaped hole where the centre left used to be. A toxic blend of narrcicism and sociopathic tendencies makes him believe he can fill it again.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I think Blair is now seen as such a right wing neocon figure that the centre left is exactly the area he shouldn't be targeting. He'd make a great leader of the Tory party. 

His backing for remain is less laudable, more laughable and as ever with Mr Blair, you do have to ask the question, "What's in it for him?".

Whichever side of the debate he'd picked, I'm fairly sure he won't have done so on the benefits to the British people - other than maybe the couple of hundred incredibly wealthy British people that he cares about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oddly enough, I think Blair is now seen as such a right wing neocon figure that the centre left is exactly the area he shouldn't be targeting. He'd make a great leader of the Tory party. 

True, but then Trump isn't a Republican either and is still their leader.

Hyenas usually feed on that which is already dead.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

As tainted and reviled as Bliar is, he made some pretty sensible comments in that stuff he said about Brexit. You don't have to agree with him to notice that politicians across the board, with the exception of about 100 of them (from the 650 MPs) from Labour, SNP, Ken Clarke and a couple of other tories and Greens are not kind of making the points that he's raised. They were making them before the referendum, to an extent, but they've al just shut up now.

It needs opposition, not to stop it, but to shape it sensibly, rather than just charge headlong into some temporary whim based on who Theresa May is scared of losing a few percentage points to in the polls. When we look back in 5 years at what went on, people will ask "why on earth did no one in parliament, bar a small handful, raise any credible objections to the course May was taking?"

You give him more credit than I could. Should have staked him in 2007, just to be sure.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

But of course...

I think this has relatively little to do with Brexit, other than as a totemic issue upon which to launch Blair's attempted political comeback. 

On the contrary, he's an EU true believer. 

EDIT: I should say, he may very well be attempting to launch a comeback, I don't disagree with that, but don't assume he doesn't mean what he says about the EU. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, villaglint said:

Agreed but 8 months after the vote it is nice to hear at least one notable public figure speaking for 48% of those that voted. 

He's interested in a top job with the EU, I gather.  His comments are likely to be aimed at that audience rather than the Great British Public.

As a side order, he gets to undermine Labour while two by- elections are under way, hoping to lose them in order to reflect poorly on Corbyn.

The suggested aim of his comments, to try to inform the national debate, is probably the last thing on his mind.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

On the contrary, he's an EU true believer. 

EDIT: I should say, he may very well be attempting to launch a comeback, I don't disagree with that, but don't assume he doesn't mean what he says about the EU. 

I agree that he believes it, in so far as the EU potentially provided a bigger stage for his own colossal ego. All hail EL Presedente Blair, the European who finally defeated Great Britain.

eff him, with knobs on.

• Like 2

I'm not sure Blair, or his motive, is the point.

Everyone hates him. That's a given.

But that doesn't mean he can't have a point. I've not read his speech, it could be bollocks or half horseshit, but he might have something to say with merit, or worth consideration. Even if he is Tony Blair.

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Always surprises me whenever people are analysing politics the very last thing they think possible is that someone actually cares about an issue. 

Many politicians do care about issues, and often they are given an unfairly doubting reception.  Partly that is due to the cynicism engendered by people's accurate reading of Blair and his familiars, which they unfairly extend to all politicians.

In the case of Blair, he is an unprincipled, scheming liar, a self-serving egotist with no thought or love for his own country or his own people.  He joined a party whose values he didn't share, and caused it irreperable harm, killing more than a million people by his arrogant and aggressive actions, urging the US into an illegal and mad war.  His allegiance is to a global elite whose intersts he serves, with no thought for who gets trampled along the way.  All he cares about is himself, and the elite whose carriage he hitches a ride on.

If I stepped out of my house tomorrow and found him impaled on railings, it would brighten my day.

• Like 3

it's true that many politicians do genuinely care, but it is unfortunate that for every campaigner, there's a career arsehole that's seen politics as an easy way of being famous and feeling important whilst jockeying in to a position to make some money

the sort of person that would write pro and anti brexit articles and then wait to see which way the wind blows

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

it's true that many politicians do genuinely care, but it is unfortunate that for every campaigner, there's a career arsehole that's seen politics as an easy way of being famous and feeling important whilst jockeying in to a position to make some money

the sort of person that would write pro and anti brexit articles and then wait to see which way the wind blows

Or which way the wind May blow if you like..... 

• Like 4

I find a lot of my parents generation argument is they remember what it is like before joining the EU and everything was great.  What they don't realise is, things were better because they were living pre Thatcherism.

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm not sure Blair, or his motive, is the point.

Everyone hates him. That's a given.

But that doesn't mean he can't have a point. I've not read his speech, it could be bollocks or half horseshit, but he might have something to say with merit, or worth consideration. Even if he is Tony Blair.

presumably that same point extends to Donald Trump ?

Â