The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

That's odd, I got a notification saying Tony quoted me when he did no such thing!

it was fat fingers when I should have been quoting Chris but somehow quoted your post as well , but I went back and edited it out

I don't understand how offering an opt-in serivce for people in the UK to keep their EU passport would even work?

Surely, it simply couldn't? 

We'd get freedom of movement but wouldn't allow it here? Surely that's having the cake and eating it which is exactly what EU didn't want (and rightly so).

12 hours ago, blandy said:

Us not allowing freedom of movement is basically bollex. It's unrealistic, harmful, madness. In time people will come to realise as much. We currently need immigration, we won't be able to stop it the tories have been trying to get it down (from outside the EU) for ages and have failed completely. What we should have been doing is directing money etc. to the places that get an influx, to help them deal with the extra pull on housing, hospitals, schools. and all the rest of it.

If only the Remain campaign had thought to make that a centre piece of their argument...

PwC now reckon the U.K. will continue to be the fastest growing G8 economy out to 2050, with any short term hit from exit out of the system by 2020.

I don't buy in to long term predictions but even so it doesn't really support the previous Brexit = economic doom script.

2 hours ago, Awol said:

If only the Remain campaign had thought to make that a centre piece of their argument...

PwC now reckon the U.K. will continue to be the fastest growing G8 economy out to 2050, with any short term hit from exit out of the system by 2020.

I don't buy in to long term predictions but even so it doesn't really support the previous Brexit = economic doom script.

How are they expecting the U.K. to grow if you are planning on heavily restricting immigration? 

Best case is you would end up like Japan with a rapidly ageing population and economic stagnation. 

55 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How are they expecting the U.K. to grow if you are planning on heavily restricting immigration? 

Best case is you would end up like Japan with a rapidly ageing population and economic stagnation. 

We're going to solve the immigration thing by quietly pretending that all the people against immigration are actually OK with people of Asian and Middle Eastern heritage coming here. The immigration thing was totally about Polish people. Not about brown people whatsoever. Nosiree.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Awol said:

You forgot to follow the BBC's rule when reporting favourable predictions about Brexit - they must always be followed by the caveat that it could get a lot worse later. :) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We're going to solve the immigration thing by quietly pretending that all the people against immigration are actually OK with people of Asian and Middle Eastern heritage coming here. The immigration thing was totally about Polish people. Not about brown people whatsoever. Nosiree.

All those hundreds of thousands of workshy benefit scroungers and fake disabled people will fill the roles no problem. Even the skilled and semi skilled roles. For which they are neither trained nor interested nor capable.  :thumb:

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I'm not planning anything and don't work for PwC so you'd be better off asking them (immigration wasn't my reason for voting leave). 

However... if immigration were run on the basis of a work visa system there's no reason why the economy should run short of skilled workers. Seems to work pretty well in your country.

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

I'm not planning anything and don't work for PwC so you'd be better off asking them (immigration wasn't my reason for voting leave). 

However... if immigration were run on the basis of a work visa system there's no reason why the economy should run short of skilled workers. Seems to work pretty well in your country.

Our internment camps are an international disgrace in violation of the UN human rights convention. They will be looked back on historically as a stain on our society.

I would not be looking to Australia for inspiration on immigration.

Just now, LondonLax said:

Our internment camps are an international disgrace in violation of the UN human rights convention. They will be looked back on historically as a stain on our society.

I would not be looking to Australia for inspiration on immigration.

I reckon we'll manage without the camps, but does your work visa system function properly or not? Is economic growth held back for want of qualified people? Genuine question. 

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This should be beneath you.

Just going with the general flow of this thread - see your 'brown people, no siree, etc' comment.

When you stop pretending the result was basically about racism I'll stop replying in kind. Fair? 

Just now, Awol said:

Just going with the general flow of this thread - see your 'brown people, no siree, etc' comment.

When you stop pretending the result was basically about racism I'll stop replying in kind. Fair? 

I haven't pretended it was 'basically about racism'. It's an element, and a strong element of the immigration arguments, but there's more to it than that. Hence the long comments about all the various things that got us to this mess over the last few months.

I'm disappointed you've decided to reduce it to that. My faith in your standing despite the disagreement on this has clearly been misplaced. 

Fair enough.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Waycist, innit. 

It could cause the opposite of what the Waycists want.

So we give everyone a score based on what skills, qualifications, what age they are etc?

Bingo, all of a sudden a huge amount of Syrian refugees are granted entry to the UK. We'll be flooded with Syrian and Iraqi doctors nurses, teachers, etc.

(And if nobody decides to pick the sprouts and pack the mushrooms when the Poles are gone... we'll continue to get the unskilled labour too).

Â