The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

37 minutes ago, Awol said:

No, I think there's a balance to be struck between how much existing UK-EU trade will be restricted by Brexit vs the opportunities to increase trade via FTA's with other markets that are beyond Europe and actually growing.

I'd rather my goods came from nearby, ta. Less transport the better.

Couldn't give a monkey's whether we're trading with a growing economy.

The economy can f*** itself, it's broken, why does it need to grow?

It's just a bigger mess then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Everybody understands that chasing a model of perpetual consumer lead material growth is just a suicide mission, yeah?

I guess it depends on the extent and duration of the exposure. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I guess it depends on the extent and duration of the exposure. :)

D'you know what, I've done that all day.

Literally included that same spelling of that same word in two planning submissions today, even after word kindly put a blue squiggle under it.

• Like 2

As this has become a slightly wider discussion of the future of Europe, I see the police have 'raided' the French parliament investigating the Fillon accusations:

French police have raided the lower house of parliament in an investigation into whether the wife of the presidential candidate François Fillon was paid for an allegedly non-existent job.

The unusual step, requiring authorisation of the speaker of the lower house, was carried out as part of an inquiry into the “Penelopegate” scandal. It was not immediately clear whether Fillon’s own office was being searched.

Investigators are looking into possible misuse of public funds after a newspaper alleged that Fillon’s Welsh-born wife, Penelope, was paid €500,000 (£430,000) over eight years as his parliamentary assistant for work she did not perform. It is not illegal for French politicians to employ spouses or members of their family, but there is an obligation for them to carry out the job.

Fillon and his wife were questioned separately for five hours on Monday by anti-corruption officers. France Inter radio suggested police were searching for her employment contracts.

Fillon has said he is the victim of a smear campaign. In a French television interview, he insisted his wife’s work had been “real and legal”.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Free trade and free movement within EU, but no social security or NHS access 

Ms May has already said you're leaving the single market (= barriers to trade) precisely because she doesn't want free movement :(

But aside from that, let's say I move to the UK. Happily pay my taxes, but after 3 years I get cancer. Do you expect me to move back to Ireland for treatment (where I haven't paid into the public health system)? Doesn't seem right.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Ms May has already said you're leaving the single market (= barriers to trade) precisely because she doesn't want free movement :(

But aside from that, let's say I move to the UK. Happily pay my taxes, but after 3 years I get cancer. Do you expect me to move back to Ireland for treatment (where I haven't paid into the public health system)? Doesn't seem right.

It's not right you can pay nothing into the system  then come here and receive treatment. So it's swings and roundabouts. 

Can't embed it, but this speech by Clarke sums up my view far better than I could ever put it. http://bbc.in/2jQdorO

I've never voted Tory in my life, and I can't imagine that I will, but I don't think there's a single serving MP that I respect as much as Ken Clarke (and I'd have said that for the last few years, it's not just because I agree with him on this).

It's a fantastic speech, and one I think people will look back on in 10 years and think "why did nobody **** listen?".

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

12 hours before that picture was taken he was hanging off the back of a hotel room door with an apple in his gob.

We've all been there mate. 

• Like 2

I'd like a referendum where the British public decide the entire fiscal plan through a single question of "should we pick from pot A or pot B" which would be about as well informed and relevant as the brexit referendum was

What's so tragic to me is that a large amount of people who voted leave based on immigration and 'soverienty' arguments will be deeply dissatisfied when we leave the EU and single market and they find out that the system is still rigged against them.

Nah, this is tragic in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'd like a referendum where the British public decide the entire fiscal plan through a single question of "should we pick from pot A or pot B" which would be about as well informed and relevant as the brexit referendum was

To me this is just so logical and should definitely happen.

If people are apparently smart enough to decide if we should be in the EU or not, they should be able to vote if they think the deal is worth leaving for or not.

Edited by PieFacE

Â