Eric Black

villan-scott

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think, to be fair, leveling that criticism at myself is an unusual choice. 

He was a symptom of the disease, not the cause. 

Wasn't levelled at you, I really meant the way the Club, internally, and the media, have let him off lightly.  Yes, some fans too, but certainly not aimed at you in particular.  And I agree he was a symptom but without restating it all I think his reign flawed  in many ways, at many levels, and shouldn't have been allowed to go as a footnote, any they've all gone/going now so its a dead issue.

On 17 May 2016 at 20:24, TRO said:

if the slightest sign of encouragement from us was shown....he would have been in with a reasonable chance of the job.

No. Not so. The club, as we now know was in the process of being sold. Multiple bidders etc.

He knew that. He also (probably) doesn't want a manager's job, but even if he did, a club just being taken over will never appoint a caretaker to the permanent role, not of it's serious.

He acted in a way that some people might not agree with, but he froze out the real trouble makers, and played other unpopular players rather than youngsters because a) the youngsters weren't ready in all positions b ) because the atmosphere was not right for those who maybe haven't shown enough strength and c ) because some of the senior players kind of deserved to be exposed to supporter criticism, rather than being let off.

He did nothing other than basically pilot a relegated club for a few games, as a very temporary caretaker.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

He did nothing other than basically pilot a relegated club for a few games, as a very temporary caretaker.

It was 7 games, although it seemed like 70. And his record was Pl7 W0 D1 L6 5F-A18 GD-13 Pts1. If that counts as "piloting", I hope he's not in the cabin next time I take a plane. :rant:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It was 7 games, although it seemed like 70. And his record was Pl7 W0 D1 L6 5F-A18 GD-13 Pts1. If that counts as "piloting", I hope he's not in the cabin next time I take a plane. :rant:

How were those stats before he took over? It's not like he inherited a good team or like he is actually anything other than a coach. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

No. Not so. The club, as we now know was in the process of being sold. Multiple bidders etc.

He knew that. He also (probably) doesn't want a manager's job, but even if he did, a club just being taken over will never appoint a caretaker to the permanent role, not of it's serious.

He acted in a way that some people might not agree with, but he froze out the real trouble makers, and played other unpopular players rather than youngsters because a) the youngsters weren't ready in all positions b ) because the atmosphere was not right for those who maybe haven't shown enough strength and c ) because some of the senior players kind of deserved to be exposed to supporter criticism, rather than being let off.

I was merely highlighting the poor decision making of the club, albeit a bit tongue in cheek....however since events have changed and I was a bit dubious of a takeover....my comments were a bit speculative, but hindsight is an exact science.

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

How were those stats before he took over? It's not like he inherited a good team or like he is actually anything other than a coach. 

Well that's all true, except of course he was partly responsible for the stats before he took over as well, since he was assistant manager or whatever his title was.

Was just pointing out it's a bit like:

Hollis: "Eric, we're heading for the rocks and the captain has just jumped ship (by mutual consent, of course)"

Black: "OK, I'll just keep steering towards the rocks then."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, briny_ear said:

His record was shit mate I don't think anyone would argue with that but to put it into some kind of perspective when he took over we had just lost 6 games on the spin conceding 18 goals scoring 2. We were shit long before he took charge and he simply carried on the form we had shown pretty much all season. The only difference between him and the other two who had a crack at managing us this season is that they classed themselves as managers where as I think Black sees himself as very much a coach.

This is all pretty much irrelevant though in fairness even more so for me perhaps as I didn't really bat an eyelid and give a shit when he took over as I fully expected what had gone before would simply carry on and so it proved.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TRO said:

hindsight is an exact science.

I'm not trying to be clever, but my comment wasn't hindsight. I said the same things - that I believed the sale talk and that Black was taking the actions he did for valid reasons - weeks ago.

I think the main annoyance about Black was that he kept picking the same shit week in week out. Why not play Traore? Or Grealish? Or Hepburn-Murphy? Just things like that. We were already down so it wouldn't have mattered if they were poor.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think the main annoyance about Black was that he kept picking the same shit week in week out. Why not play Traore? Or Grealish? Or Hepburn-Murphy? Just things like that. We were already down so it wouldn't have mattered if they were poor.

Have to agree with this. It was so frustrating seeing the same old shite players, playing the same old shite football week in week out, when it was the perfect chance to play some of the youth especially away from home.

I can't help it but think it was a complete waste.  He pretty much had a free hit at giving the fans some entertainment and showing off some of the academy players,  and also giving some of the academy players a taste of what it's like to play in the Premier League,  something for them to aspire too.  But he didn't,  he played the same shit players who frankly,  the fans didn't want to see.  The same dull tactics which showed nothing.  Why not just play Adama,  Grealish,  Gill?  Would we have won the games? Probably not,  but it would have been at least interesting for the fans.  He had nothing to lose by trying to play the creative players, but went against it anyway.  

• Like 4

He came and used the players he thought would get a result.  This wouldn't be so bad, apart from those players had already been given 3/4 of a season to get results and still **** up.  So, rather than play youth players and players we bought last summer, who have contracts we could hold onto, he uses the normal, useless players we'd already seen for much of the season.  The archetypal, English cloggers.  The 30-odd year old useless arseholes, whose phones magically operate of their own volition, inside said users pocket - WELL DONE. 

He managed Villa for himself.  He wanted a decent record, so he could take that record to other clubs, say "look what I did with that shower" and get a new job.  As it actually turned out, he lost all but 1 game, which he drew.  Using the same players who have become, for the most part, disliked by the majority of the supporters (pretty rare it must be said) - rather than giving the kids a chance, using the players who might be of some use next season, should we hold onto them.

The man is a selfish, useless, clueless, ill-meaning, waste of space.  He is the epitome of what is wrong with "stat lovers".  He is a complete and utter failure (in his time here).  How many people could say that?  Not many, but he's been (by a distance) the worst thing about this season (imo) and let's face it, that **** takes some doing over the last few years.

I'm usually a very forgiving person, but I hope whatever else he goes into after he leaves this beautiful place, he completely fails, gets sacked and has to live on raw potatoes for the rest of his miserable life. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sympton? Cause? Meh.

He came in and everything he did was wrong.
Everything.

I hate him.
I really, really hate him. 

Even his face. 

That poem doesn't even rhyme.

• Like 1

The reason why he does not get off scott free is that he wasted an opportunity to begin the healing process and at least try and rebuild the team for next season,  regardless of whether he would be a part of it or not.

• Like 1

Â