Eric Black

villan-scott

He'll be nothing more than a footnote in our worst season ever

My issue with him is that whereas garde and sherwood showed that they didn't know the answer black didn't even seem to know there was a problem

His remit seemed to be don't embarrass ourselves but again that's a misjudgement of the fans by the club, we lost what 8 games under him, most of them to nil? I don't even know to be fair, he was that boring and uninterested that I walked away in the end it became even more pointless than before, he's almost like the epitome of the apathy that's engulfed us, no ideas no excitement just an acceptance of fate

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He'll be nothing more than a footnote in our worst season ever

Seems about right. 

To be honest, I stopped watching by Spurs. I checked the away results after the fact, went to Villa Park, did a little protesting, had a pint, had a chat and a laugh with my Villa friends, went home again. I genuinely couldn't tell you how we played in most of those games, though with one eye on them I did think that overall we were marginally better, but that his team selections were ridiculous. 

He was quite supportive of the fans right to protest though, which I liked. Seems like an OK guy to me, honestly.

He's not a football manager and never will be a football manager so it's hard for me to judge him as such. 

• Like 3

Well he took the wages of a football manager, paid by fans who went to see a team who had a football manager, in a League with 19 other Teams who carried on playing football whatever their position.

I've said so already, his appointment and subsequent performances were a travesty which shouldn't be diluted because of where we already were.  Had we got someone in with any ability  - from within the Club or a non League Manager on work experience - whatsoever we could have had a productive (though fruitless) last 6/8 weeks.  Aswell as being clueless - for which I don't forgive him, don't take the money if you don't know what you are doing - he has said and done things which increased, if it were possible, the derision with which the Club is viewed both from within and without.  "I got a reaction from the players ?" - like praising a convicted murderer for turning his light off on time.

He had a unique opportunity to publicly humiliate those players - we all know who they are - and he passed up.  A unique opportunity to blood the youth - he passed up.  An opportunity to set the team up to play some attractive football - he passed up.  An opportunity to be outspoken constructively critically about what's gone on - he passed up.  And having passed on all that repeatedly - tried - to blow his own trumpet and knocked us that little bit further back than we needed to be.

And I'm still very curious as to who appointed him, and why, and why he was allowed to fritter away those last games like he did.  It wont matter if they all go, but if they stay, their judgment in this is another damning episode. And if Little is staying on, Id love to know whether he was happy with what we served up under Black.

I think accepting 'it didn't really matter, damage was done, difficult players, etc etc is part of the whole reason we are still sinking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Likewise Mark.

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Why the hate. He's a caretaker manager who's remit presumably ended with "oh, and please don't break anything while you're here".

He did his job. He's gone/going soon enough. Good luck to him. 

if the slightest sign of encouragement from us was shown....he would have been in with a reasonable chance of the job.

Thats where my confidence is with anything that has changed.

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Likewise Mark.

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Why the hate. He's a caretaker manager who's remit presumably ended with "oh, and please don't break anything while you're here".

in fairness he should have broken everything while he was here ;)

I think fans got sick of his team selections especially as he talked a good game before picking Bacuna, SInclair, Richardson and Lescott and then for some bizarre reason nearly always taking off Ayew. 

He spent lots of time talking about how much Kozak, Traore etc etc were raring to get into the team, and then he never picked them. He picked the same players over and over again, even when it was clear they weren't trying. It isn't actually obvious that Bacuna would get into an Aston Villa best XI, even now, so he could clearly have been left out, but no, Black had to pick him in whatever position was available. 

I've said this before, but I think Eric Black's main problem is that he's a moron. A genuine simpleton. The club is full of complete morons, and he's one of the dumbest around. 

Can't be involved in any way whatsoever next season for me, the bridges are well and truly burned.

• Like 3

Every time I read this thread I think of THIS Eric. I just imagine Black being like this at work.

Theyre so similar in their struggles, but THIS Eric actually manages to grasp what he's supposed to do. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2016 at 18:22, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Likewise Mark.

This.

Don't get me wrong, he's **** shite. 

But I don't really get the hate.

I hate him because he had a nothing job and could have at least tried a different approach. Instead he just kept picking the same words removed over and over again. There was nothing to play for and yet he was as terrified at losing as managers who actually had a relegation battle on. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree. That's annoying and shows his incompetence.

Hate is a strong word though. He's a caretaker. 

Exactly. If he wanted the job, applied for the job, got the job, given it some waffle about turning the club around, about playing the youth, playing the "Dutch way" or something like that and then continued to play Richardson and Bacuna then I'd think yeah fair enough, what a prick.

As it was, proper meh. I think I heard him speak twice. 

On 5/17/2016 at 19:20, terrytini said:

I think accepting 'it didn't really matter, damage was done, difficult players, etc etc is part of the whole reason we are still sinking.

I think, to be fair, leveling that criticism at myself is an unusual choice. 

He was a symptom of the disease, not the cause. 

dont ahte him but his level of incompetence was breath taking. Upsetting players, player crap like richards ahead of okore, bacuna ahead of grealish or adama. Useless

who does RDM usually work with? Lets hope its not this clown 

• Like 1

Â