Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jesus i'm so happy some of you lot aren't managers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm simply acknowledging that Barton is a very  good Championship level midfielder. But so are many others, I wouldn't f*****g want him here, though.

I believe this is what's known as the fallacy of the converse. 

If people want to get their arse in their hands about signing Barton then so be it but at the end the day he will improve us and that's the aim of the game here. 

All I was saying is there is no possible way anyone can be offended by anything Gabby, Lescott etc has done this year and not by anything Barton has done. Therefore they have no right to criticise the attitude of some but not others when all they care about is whether they are good at football or not.

Given the uproar on here when our players tweet a picture of a car or have a picture taken with their son or smoke a shisha, I can only imagine the uproar if one of our players, for example, stubbed out a cigar on a youth players eye.

Having a good season? Here, have another cigar and you don't want to dirty an ash tray so use that kids eye, he probably won't make it anyway. Having a bad season? Take a picture with your kid at a caravan park, oh my god surely he should be sacked he's tarnishing the good name of Aston Villa!

People say money is running football, but us, as fans aren't helping by allowing good players free reign to do whatever they want with nothing more than an eye roll, while simultaneously unleashing our fury at bad players for doing literally anything. Liverpool fans defended Suarez (until he left) for the bite, Man Utd fans defended Roy Keane for that (deliberate) tackle and Cantona for the kick, some of us are now defending Barton because we're linked with him, and yet Lescott tweets a picture of an expensive car?! Hang him!

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

All I was saying is there is no possible way anyone can be offended by anything Gabby, Lescott etc has done this year and not by anything Barton has done. Therefore they have no right to criticise the attitude of some but not others when all they care about is whether they are good at football or not.

Given the uproar on here when our players tweet a picture of a car or have a picture taken with their son or smoke a shisha, I can only imagine the uproar if one of our players, for example, stubbed out a cigar on a youth players eye.

Having a good season? Here, have another cigar and you don't want to dirty an ash tray so use that kids eye, he probably won't make it anyway. Having a bad season? Take a picture with your kid at a caravan park, oh my god surely he should be sacked he's tarnishing the good name of Aston Villa!

People say money is running football, but us, as fans aren't helping by allowing good players free reign to do whatever they want with nothing more than an eye roll, while simultaneously unleashing our fury at bad players for doing literally anything. Liverpool fans defended Suarez (until he left) for the bite, Man Utd fans defended Roy Keane for that (deliberate) tackle and Cantona for the kick, some of us are now defending Barton because we're linked with him, and yet Lescott tweets a picture of an expensive car?! Hang him!

The difference is whatever Barton did, he did on somebody else's dime, whereas Lescott did it on mine. 

EDIT: . . . and the second difference is that Barton's not totally **** incompetent as well. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

The difference is whatever Barton did, he did on somebody else's dime, whereas Lescott did it on mine. 

EDIT: . . . and the second difference is that Barton's not totally **** incompetent as well. 

So stubbing a cigar out on someone's eye is OK, because he's a competent footballer, but tweeting a picture of a car is an outrageous act because he's not a competent footballer?

Look, only caring about their football ability is fine, we all want what's best for Villa at the end of the day, but surely if you're ok with what Barton has done, you must be ok with what Lescott or Gabby etc have done too?

41 minutes ago, weedman said:

So stubbing a cigar out on someone's eye is OK, because he's a competent footballer, but tweeting a picture of a car is an outrageous act because he's not a competent footballer?

Look, only caring about their football ability is fine, we all want what's best for Villa at the end of the day, but surely if you're ok with what Barton has done, you must be ok with what Lescott or Gabby etc have done too?

To me, yes, there's a difference between what somebody did a decade ago while employed by another club, and what somebody did a few weeks ago while employed by mine.

That's my perspective and I'm sticking to it, rational or otherwise. 

6 hours ago, jon_c said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm simply acknowledging that Barton is a very  good Championship level midfielder. But so are many others, I wouldn't f*****g want him here, though.

And his arms are an excellent pub

Barton was a main part of Newcastle going up as his set-piece delivery got the best out of Carroll and Nolan and he would be an asset here. yes he is far from perfect but he will at least put an effort in compared to some of pricks at club now

10 hours ago, Boumasbabies said:

We are missing serious bite in midfield, Barton at 36 isn't the answer. Jedinak from Palace or Yacob could do the job...

The thing is that Joey Barton isn't even defensive (unless I'm missing something?) - he's actually pretty decent technically.   The "bite" aspect of his game pretty much solely comes from him being a thug*.

* - I haven't looked up any stats so may be wrong here.

There's obviously going to be a big turnover of players this Summer, I think that was always going to be the case regardless of what division we are going to be in. It's going to be interesting, I think we're going to have to take a fresh approach in terms of manager and owner. We've got some fantastic young players coming through aged between 16 and 20, I expect them to flourish in the Championship and play a big part in our revival.  

48 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

There's obviously going to be a big turnover of players this Summer, I think that was always going to be the case regardless of what division we are going to be in. It's going to be interesting, I think we're going to have to take a fresh approach in terms of manager and owner. We've got some fantastic young players coming through aged between 16 and 20, I expect them to flourish in the Championship and play a big part in our revival.  

I really hope so. It would be fantastic to see some of our younger players be given a shot and showing their worth.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I would hope so but need a good bit of experience around them and dont mean the clearings in the woods we have now. I wouldnt be comfortable putting them in unless we had good pros to help them out in difficult times

• Like 2

are things really that bad that joey bartons name is being thrown into the hat?

granted we need a midfield battler, but maybe someone abit younger, who we can get a few decent years out of

14 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

are things really that bad that joey bartons name is being thrown into the hat?

granted we need a midfield battler, but maybe someone abit younger, who we can get a few decent years out of

Joey Barton is a scumbag but even he would be disgusted at the attitude of some of our senior players this season. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bobzy said:

The thing is that Joey Barton isn't even defensive (unless I'm missing something?) - he's actually pretty decent technically.   The "bite" aspect of his game pretty much solely comes from him being a thug*.

* - I haven't looked up any stats so may be wrong here.

Cool, do OPTA do thug stats now? 

Punches landed, hair pulled, spits on target, stud scrapes, stamps per minute.....

What I have found interesting is the players we missed out on during the January transfer window have not really made an impact elsewhere. 

Khazri is probably been the most useful but hardly worth 8mil or got us out of this bother. Doumbia, has he even played for Newcastle??

we could have spent another £20m on rubbish and be in a worse state. 

4 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

What I have found interesting is the players we missed out on during the January transfer window have not really made an impact elsewhere. 

Khazri is probably been the most useful but hardly worth 8mil or got us out of this bother. Doumbia, has he even played for Newcastle??

we could have spent another £20m on rubbish and be in a worse state. 

They might have done well with us, ok, that's a tad optimistic.  But you can't judge how players do at other clubs as that could've been different for us because of styles, formations along with many other conditions. How many players have gone from one club to another and been awful....Torres, Benteke etc. it's all about fitting in as well. Plus I don't want our owner and board to think that way

Ok, even good, wouldn't have been enough to turn us around at that point. More players not used to the league, or not good enough wouldn't of helped. Plus our player culture has been awful and finding any player to fit would be tough. 

I would have preferred we looked at Championship players at that point, more expensive or not. But then again not spending may end up being the most astute piece of business we have done. With our net spend we don't have, or shouldn't have the same debts as other relegated clubs. 

Doumbia I think has clause in place that if he plays 10 games or more then Newcastle have to buy him for £11m or something...... Imagine if we had him stuck on our books.