Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Sure, and I'm not disagreeing with bobzy on that, I was just saying I don't look at it so can't comment.

But you watch the games!  Where he's still doing all those things!

Stevo stevo :(:(:(

Just now, bobzy said:

But you watch the games!  Where he's still doing all those things!

Stevo stevo :(:(:(

dafuq are you on about?

I was responding to the twitter issue.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

dafuq are you on about?

I was responding to the twitter issue.

You said something along the lines of him being a mature player now.  The Twitter stuff you don't see so couldn't comment on it.

I'm saying you watch the games - surely you see that he's exactly the same player as ever? i.e: actually quite a decent midfielder but, essentially, a mindless thug.

Just now, bobzy said:

You said something along the lines of him being a mature player now.  The Twitter stuff you don't see so couldn't comment on it.

I'm saying you watch the games - surely you see that he's exactly the same player as ever? i.e: actually quite a decent midfielder but, essentially, a mindless thug.

In the games I've seen he's done pretty much nothing "thuggish" beyond a hard tackle or three, which is something we badly need. I haven't watched every single Burnley game, obviously, or even many Burnley games, so maybe I've missed all this thuggish behaviour you're talking about. But from what I've seen, no, he's not a mindless thug on the pitch anymore. In some of the games I've seen, most recently the game against Preston, he's been the best player on the pitch.

My point above was I wasn't disagreeing about anything he puts on Twitter because I don't see it, or particularly care about it. 

The two points aren't related.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

People need to get over their personal hatred of Barton.

He's a quality Championship player and will improve us immensely next season, he would be an absolutely tremendous signing. Having a genuinely combative midfielder who offers a real presence on the pitch will make a nice change from the fannies we have fielded in that position for the last few seasons.

No, no they don't.

It's pretty rare that I dislike any footballer (even Villa ones - in fact, even sportsmen in general).  They're just doing a job on a pitch and getting paid incredibly well for it.  Joey Barton is actual scum, though.  I can't support actual scum.  He could have the talent of Lionel Messi (LOL) and I still couldn't support him.

Plus, even light-heartedly, he pretty much gave us that **** irritating "Aggguerrrrrrrooooooooo!!!"  "OMG IT'S THE BEST MOMENT OF THE PL EVER" moment.  Once again, because he's a thug.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

No, no they don't.

It's pretty rare that I dislike any footballer (even Villa ones - in fact, even sportsmen in general).  They're just doing a job on a pitch and getting paid incredibly well for it.  Joey Barton is actual scum, though.  I can't support actual scum.  He could have the talent of Lionel Messi (LOL) and I still couldn't support him.

Plus, even light-heartedly, he pretty much gave us that **** irritating "Aggguerrrrrrrooooooooo!!!"  "OMG IT'S THE BEST MOMENT OF THE PL EVER" moment.  Once again, because he's a thug.

They do because it's irrational. 

At this stage we need to be pragmatic. If Barton can help us get automatic promotion then I really don't give a shit how many youth team players he put cigars out on whilst at City, or how many fights he has had outside of chip shops. 

This is a football contest, not a personality one. 

People need to get over their personal hatred of Barton.

He's a quality Championship player and will improve us immensely next season, he would be an absolutely tremendous signing. Having a genuinely combative midfielder who offers a real presence on the pitch will make a nice change from the fannies we have fielded in that position for the last few seasons.

I couldn't care less if he was as good as Ronaldo, I'd rather give N'Zogbia a new contract than sign Barton on a free. He's scum and if it wasn't for his football ability he'd probably be on the dole living in his council flat in between prison visits still banging on about how he's God's gift to everything. Anyone happy with signing Barton has absolutely no right to criticise any other player about any off pitch issues. Gabby, N'Zogbia, Richards, Lescott et all are saints by comparison.

1 minute ago, weedman said:

I couldn't care less if he was as good as Ronaldo, I'd rather give N'Zogbia a new contract than sign Barton on a free. He's scum and if it wasn't for his football ability he'd probably be on the dole living in his council flat in between prison visits still banging on about how he's God's gift to everything. Anyone happy with signing Barton has absolutely no right to criticise any other player about any off pitch issues. Gabby, N'Zogbia, Richards, Lescott et all are saints by comparison.

I believe this is what's known as the fallacy of the converse. 

If people want to get their arse in their hands about signing Barton then so be it but at the end the day he will improve us and that's the aim of the game here. 

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They do because it's irrational. 

At this stage we need to be pragmatic. If Barton can help us get automatic promotion then I really don't give a shit how many youth team players he put cigars out on whilst at City, or how many fights he has had outside of chip shops. 

This is a football contest, not a personality one. 

It's not irrational at all.

I don't support Aston Villa because they're successful (evidently) nor to necessarily see the club become successful - that's more a "would be good if it happened" sort of thing.  What's more important to me is what the club represents.  Obviously, this is much in the hands of the owners, manager(s) and players.  For example, I'd love to see us blood young players from our academy (at least give them a chance) - we've often done this.

Bringing in Joey Barton goes against what I want from my football club.  They could have a random member of this board playing in midfield with zero football ability and I'd still rather have that than Joey Barton.  Adam Johnson is a decent footballer, but I doubt anyone would want to see him at the club.  I'm not "win at all costs" inclined, and never will be.

Cigars and fights in chip shops are one thing (I'm sure he gets provoked, bless his little cottons) but stamping on opponents and putting in potentially career-ending challenges are quite another, especially when you then goad fans on Twitter.  **** that.  **** him.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

Barton is the kind of player our milksop midfield is crying out for. I don't like him as a person, but as a footballer he'd be perfect for us. Get him in I say.

Edited by Phumfeinz

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's not irrational at all.

I don't support Aston Villa because they're successful (evidently) nor to necessarily see the club become successful - that's more a "would be good if it happened" sort of thing.  What's more important to me is what the club represents.  Obviously, this is much in the hands of the owners, manager(s) and players.  For example, I'd love to see us blood young players from our academy (at least give them a chance) - we've often done this.

Bringing in Joey Barton goes against what I want from my football club.  They could have a random member of this board playing in midfield with zero football ability and I'd still rather have that than Joey Barton.  Adam Johnson is a decent footballer, but I doubt anyone would want to see him at the club.  I'm not "win at all costs" inclined, and never will be.

Cigars and fights in chip shops are one thing (I'm sure he gets provoked, bless his little cottons) but stamping on opponents and putting in potentially career-ending challenges are quite another, especially when you then goad fans on Twitter.  **** that.  **** him.

Comparing someone who is more aggressive than average to a literal paedophile to is irrational though.

• Like 2

Just now, Phumfeinz said:

Comparing someone who is more aggressive than average to a literal paedophile to is irrational though.

There was no comparison - aside from that I don't want a paedophile at my club either.

"More aggressive than average" :D

I could see Barton, as a person, saying something and really winding our fans up in a bad way.

As a player, I wouldn't want him for the premier league, but in the Championship he would be very good.

Edited by jon_c
Sp.