Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wasn't his point that he's NOT dropping down a level?

What would dropping into the championship be?

We weren't talking about dropping into the championship though, The discussion was nothing to do with him signing for Villa. Bozby was stating that getting a sun tan in Spain would be good for a player of the quality of Bamford because it means "he'll be playing football" I think that's a load of crap and he can "play football" anywhere. If he has ambition (which I'm sure he will have, he will aim higher than mid table Spanish football. I would be surprised if a mid table Spanish side could compete with England regarding wages in any case.

From Villas point of view, they would sell the package as 1 season in the Championship and then look at the Premiership after that.

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

We weren't talking about dropping into the championship though, The discussion was nothing to do with him signing for Villa. Bozby was stating that getting a sun tan in Spain would be good for a player of the quality of Bamford because it means "he'll be playing football" I think that's a load of crap and he can "play football" anywhere. If he has ambition (which I'm sure he will have, he will aim higher than mid table Spanish football. I would be surprised if a mid table Spanish side could compete with England regarding wages in any case.

From Villas point of view, they would sell the package as 1 season in the Championship and then look at the Premiership after that.

Playing in Scotland is worse than Spain tbf.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

No, it's about the quality of the league.  La Liga is a top league.  Going there would be beneficial.

mid table La Liga football = mid table Premier League football.

As I said before, the move that shows more ambition would be to head to Real Sociedad rather than Aston Villa.  Quite rightly as you say, though, the lazy, wage-based move would be to go to Villa.

• Like 1

Good discussion here today lads. Happy that we look at something different than Bamford and McCormack. Think RDM might turn to Serie A for a striker but I can't think of a plausible target that we might get.

Birmingham Mail, yesterday were saying that we were going to wait for the Premier clubs to do business and then see what's available in terms of strikers. But then again they are the same outlet who claimed that we're after Bamford. Which if Pat Murphy is to be believed isn't the case.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm really glad RDM won't be working to this assumption otherwise he'd be buying 25 new players.

Baby and bathwater come to mind

That's a huge leap from the point I was contesting. Fundamentally I don't think 4 or 5 signings will be enough to turn this shower around. They'd all have to land from the off and drag the rest of them up with them and I don't see that as a viable plan for promotion. The core of the squad needs replacing so that what little talent we do have can thrive. 

Otherwise, pissing in the wind and hoping not to get soaked springs to mind. 

• Like 3

Aston Villa owner Tony Xia has promised more signings after the capture of Pierluigi Gollini.

The goalkeeper signed on a £4.1m deal today and flew out to join his new team-mates here in Austria.

Xia took to Weibo to praise the 21-year-old's qualities and tipped him to succeed Italy legend Gigi Buffon in the future.

He also promised Villa fans more arrivals in the coming weeks.

The Chinese owner will sanction deals to sign a new striker and a creative midfielder as well as Reading midfielder Aaron Tshibola.

He posted: 'The club finally signed the talented Italian goalkeeper despite the fact he was being chased by a big club in Serie A and a few other clubs.

'Gollini will be one of the best goalkeepers in the world and has the ability to emulate Buffon in the future. He will be one of the key players in Aston Villa's defensive line with Tommy Elphick.

'And both of them look great!In the next month, more players could join the club. It is a new era for Aston Villa! UP THE VILLA.'

More players incoming

• Like 1

WBA are apparently offering Berahino a new contract. This would be a huge long shot and I realise it's on the unrealistic scale. However, I wonder if he could be persuaded to join us. I can't imagine him wanting to stay at WBA after everything that has happened, and he has a price tag of around £20m which will put other clubs off. Newcastle were after him around January so he would have known there'd be a chance of relegation back then. 

I'm wondering if our ambition, plus £££ could convince him to come here. Did Steve Clarke work with him?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

It should also put us off too.

I'd say he is twice as good as £10m fees touted for Bamford, McCormack and that valuation would probably be fair. Also Ibe £15m, Gayle £10m. 

15 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

WBA are apparently offering Berahino a new contract. This would be a huge long shot and I realise it's on the unrealistic scale. However, I wonder if he could be persuaded to join us. I can't imagine him wanting to stay at WBA after everything that has happened, and he has a price tag of around £20m which will put other clubs off. Newcastle were after him around January so he would have known there'd be a chance of relegation back then. 

I'm wondering if our ambition, plus £££ could convince him to come here. Did Steve Clarke work with him?

The new Gabby? No thanks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, useless said:

Birmingham Mail, yesterday were saying that we were going to wait for the Premier clubs to do business and then see what's available in terms of strikers. But then again they are the same outlet who claimed that we're after Bamford. Which if Pat Murphy is to be believed isn't the case.

Pat Murphy seems to have got a fair few Villa related things right lately. 

• Like 1