Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

16 points. 

It might be a simplistic way of looking at it. But 16 points. 

It is simplistic and a lot of the time when something as simple as a single stat is posted you can come back with an argument as to why it is misleading and doesn't paint a true picture of the squad. I don't think you can here though.

We took 17 points over a season and for me that is what our performances warranted. I could probably micro analyse it and say we deserved a win instead of a draw on a couple of occasions but likewise could also say we didn't deserve to beat Bournemouth or Palace.

We were dire. Absolutely shocking. I don't actually think ability wise the squad is as bad as 17 points but when you combine it with the gutless attitudes of many of this squad then it was a lethal cocktail. That is not to give the managers a free ride here by the way but it wasn't down to the managers as to why we folded and hid so easily as soon as things went against us. That is down to the attitude of the players.

Having said the above a number of these players are capable of redeeming themselves. To give us any hope of promotion though it needs a number of bad eggs and those who hide too easily removing from the squad and a number of players with the right attitude, hunger and leadership qualities to be bought in so they can rub off on those still here. Elphick was a great signing in that regard and Tshibola and Gollini should hopefully have plenty of hunger to want to make an impact. Three or four more of that ilk, of course with the required ability, will go a long way to re-balancing this squad from one top heavy with wasters with ability but poor attitudes to a squad with ability and the desire and hunger to set this club back on the right track.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Christian Eriksen is only 24 and would be an upgrade on Bacuna. 

Cheeky bid?

Straight swap?  Bacuna is clearly Champions League quality

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael118 said:

Championship club or champions league club he is a quality player who may be attainable and I think we should try and get him.

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here. 

I don't think it is too simplistic to say 16 points (Even though it was 17 :P) I think its spot on. 

Football is determined based on the points you accumulate so ultimately nothing else matters.

Edited by sexbelowsound

5 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I don't think it is too simplistic to say 16 points (Even though it was 17 :P) I think its spot on. 

Football is determined based on the points you accumulate so ultimately nothing else matters.

I'm really glad RDM won't be working to this assumption otherwise he'd be buying 25 new players.

Baby and bathwater come to mind

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'm really glad RDM won't be working to this assumption otherwise he'd be buying 25 new players.

Obviously you would assume there is more that can be eeked out from the players that we have and hopefully RDM thinks performances can improve but the fact that we only got 17 points last season is fully justified based on the performances that we saw.

A complete overhaul of the squad won't happen but it wouldn't be mad to suggest it's needed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1958Villan said:

Manchester United misfit goalkeeper, Victor Valdez, has signed for Middlesborough, so it would appear any possible interest they may or, may not have had in Brad Guzan, is now mute.

So it's all gone quiet then?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

Obviously you would assume there is more that can be eeked out from the players that we have and hopefully RDM thinks performances can improve but the fact that we only got 17 points last season is fully justified based on the performances that we saw.

A complete overhaul of the squad won't happen but it wouldn't be mad to suggest it's needed.

If by complete overhaul you mean an entirely new squad, then yes it would be mad to suggest that.

Edited by Stevo985

17 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Championship club or champions league club he is a quality player who may be attainable and I think we should try and get him.

Even in the Championship the deluded nature or some posters never fails in cheering me up. 

You people keep me young, you really do.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If by complete overhaul you mean and entirely new squad, then yes it would be mad to suggest that.

Give or take a few players last season it wouldn't be mad to suggest it at all. The vast majority woefully under performed.

It would be mad to expect it to happen of course but to suggest it could be needed? , no, not IMO.

That being said I personally don't think we do need one but I do think that our points total doesn't lie.

Edited by sexbelowsound

With Lewis Cook joining them, Bournemouth are heavily stacked in midfield . Can't all get a game. I'd take any from arter,  surman, gosling or o'kane in a heartbeat. They have the innate ability to pass a ball to a teammate with accuracy. !!

22 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here. 

The top 3 in the world comment was tongue in cheek. However I don't think it's unrealistic that if Tottenham would struggle to sell him like was suggested in the article that he would go to a team with big ambitions even if that team were in the championship. If you disagree, fine. The sarcasm in your posts make them barely worth responding to.

Edited by Michael118

Gollini deal done! On the OS holding his shirt...

Breaking news: Gollini signs

Breaking news: Gollini signs

Aston Villa Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini.

Gollini, 21, arrives from Hellas Verona and has penned a four-year deal.

The highly-rated Italian U21 shot-stopper has now linked up with Roberto Di Matteo’s squad as they build up their fitness levels at a training camp in Austria.

Boss Di Matteo said: “I am very pleased to have brought in Pierluigi.

“We have managed to sign him despite the fact he was being chased by a number of top sides and that is a great sign.

“He’s a young man but has plenty of experience and I’m sure he’ll prove to be an excellent signing for the Club.”

Link: 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/08/gollini-arrives

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

The top 3 in the world comment was tongue in cheek. However I don't think it's unrealistic that if Tottenham would struggle to sell him like was suggested in the article that he would go to a team with big ambitions even if that team were in the championship. If you disagree, fine. The sarcasm in your posts make them barely worth responding to.

...because they wouldn't have any trouble selling him. There would be countless destinations more appealing than us. I could think of about 12 teams in the league above us that would take him in a heartbeat. Then there is Turkey, Spain, back to the Bundesliga, Serie A with it's influx of cash, China for a pay day.

...but hey , maybe he fancies playing Rotherham for £30k basic.

Edited by rodders0223