Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

2 hours ago, 1958Villan said:

I wish some people would get realistic about the type and quality of signings we are going to need to make, as well as the amount of money we have to spend.

I know Dr. Xia mentioned £50m but, when you look at some of the ridiculous sums being asked for and paid this season, it is peanuts, especially when you consider the number of recruits we will need if we are to stand a chance of getting anywhere near promotion.

Am I reading your post right here mate that 50mill is peanuts? In the Championship even with inflated fees that level of spend would blow every club except maybe Newcastle out of the water. If we spent 50 mil and spent it well we would be nailed on for promotion.

For what it's worth I don't think we will spend anywhere near 50mill, and definitely not as a net spend. When Tshibola is confirmed that will be around 13 mill spent on three players. I expect to see another 4 or 5 come in but at least 8 to go out.

I maintain that promotion this season is a big ask but with 7 or 8 of the right signings, and the signings so far look a good start, then it is possible.

New signings alongside keeping our better players and ensuring that any new players that do come continue to have a mix of hunger to succeed and leadership qualities that hopefully rub off on those that remain. If that mix can banish the defeatist, loser attitude with in the club and replace it with a leave nothing on the pitch winners mentality which us as fans can embrace and get right behind then we can be in the mix for promotion.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

4 league goals and a shite load of awful performances last season, they can dream on if they expect even half of that sum.

Sad thing is....I think someone will stump up something close to that fee.

For what it's worth I don't think we will spend anywhere near 50mill, and definitely not as a net spend. When Tshibola is confirmed that will be around 13 mill spent on three players. I expect to see another 4 or 5 come in but at least 8 to go out

8 out?

Going to struggle to shift more than 3 or 4 really - assuming we're talking about first teamers from last year. Westwood linked to Burnley sure, otherwise Guzan might get a club, maybe Bacuna would too, but Lescott, Richards, Gabby, etc - whos going to take those? 

Gana seems most likely to leave, and there's been rumours linking Westwood to Burnley, otherwise not a peep's been heard of anything linking the rest to moves away. But as pre-season moves on I I guess it will hot up but I would be surprised if more than 3-4 of last year's lot left by September. 

Edited by Rodders

25 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Gana seems most likely to leave, and there's been rumours linking Westwood to Burnley, otherwise not a peep's been heard of anything linking the rest to moves away. But as pre-season moves on I I guess it will hot up but I would be surprised if more than 3-4 of last year's lot left by September. 

RDM has said the squad is too big and I agree with him. It may well be the case that those we most want rid of - Bacuna, Gabby, Lescott, Richards don't all go although I can see Lescott getting a move to the MLS possibly and someone coming in for Richards possibly late in the window.

Either sold or loan I think Bennett or Cissokho will go, Baker or Clark or may be both, two from Westwood, Gana, Veretout, Sanchez, Gardner will go, Sinclair, Guzan and/or Bunn. We may not want him to but I also think there is a good chance Ayew will be off.

They won't all be the ones we want to leave but I can see at least 8 being shifted by the end of August even it means paying some of them off or letting some go out on long term loans and partially paying their wages.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see who plays in the matches in the next few games at the least. I'd completely forgotten about Bennett and Sinclair to be honest! Fair enough, it does add up. Personally, I think we'll keep Baker - he's had a full year at this level and did well enough, or so I understood, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Agree with this completely. My post wasn't meant to sound like I approved of the Berahino situation. I just wanted to point out that actually, Berahino joining a team like Newcastle for around £20m is pretty likely if Albion can't get him to sign a new contract. 

I'm not sure whether Albion would get some compensation for him if he did go on a free with his age but no doubt it would be a small fee for his potential. 

While I'm not arguing with everything else you've written, the bolded part just isn't true. It would be exceptionally surprising if Berahino really wanted to spend a year in the Championship, or if Newcastle could afford his wages. 

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If people are seriously suggesting Berahino....what about Sakho at West Ham? Wants to leave and has a decent scoring record for them.

When is his trial scheduled for? I was under the impression the impression he'd been charged for some sort of violent assault. 

EDIT: Turns out he was only arrested for that, not charged. 

More recent news seems to indicate that he has a crap attitude, but at least he's not a criminal so there's that. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

why on earth are people talking about Berahino, it was incredibly unlikely when we were in the Premiership it's not going to have got more plausible now we have dropped a decision, considering the idiot thinks he should be playing in Europe.

Edited by VillanousOne

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What I want to know is, why aren't we in for Pogba?

I think we need to sign someone like him to convince Bacuna to stay by showing that we still have ambition

• Like 2

He's still young let him keep learning his trade at a great club, and in a few years time we might be able to go back for him, not at the moment though. Not even if we were in the Premier, would we have a chance.

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, useless said:

He's still young let him keep learning his trade at a great club, and in a few years time we might be able to go back for him, not at the moment though. Not even if we were in the Premier, would we have a chance.

I feel the same way about Griezmann. Close but no cigar. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I disagree. We have just as much chance as anyone. You don't ask then you don't get.