Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Berahino and Son leading the line next season with Isco playing behind them

Don't forget Draxler, who I believe we may be able to lure away for about £7m. :D

• Like 1

Just now, NeilS said:

Don't forget Draxler, who I believe we may be able to lure away for about £7m. :D

after his performance in the Euros we could even tempt him for about 5 million 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sne said:

The signings so far are what I would expect from a newly relegated team. Solid but unspecular.

In no way is it signings by a team that is aiming to be an european power any time soon.  

Would be very supriced if our spendings is any where near that of Newcastle come the end of the transfer Windows. 

At this point we are aiming to get promoted, not to be in Europe.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

after his performance in the Euros we could even tempt him for about 5 million 

He must have put in the bad performances to try and help force the move through.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

The signings so far are what I would expect from a newly relegated team. Solid but unspecular.

In no way is it signings by a team that is aiming to be an european power any time soon.  

Would be very supriced if our spendings is any where near that of Newcastle come the end of the transfer Windows. 

What are you expecting of a championship club? Top tier players aren't going to come to us just because we have a new owner. Players are driven by money these days but playing in the top tier is still an ego thing for them so if you are expecting elite players or players who have top tier options I think you are dreaming and that would be the same for any club in the championship never mind how much money they have 

5 minutes ago, Godders said:

We're a Championship club. What did you expect? A Europa League winning team being signed this window?

Lets focus on getting promoted before we start thinking about Europe again shall we?

This is exactly what I expected and I'm fine with the signings. 

More about those thinking we'll sign 20 m players because Xia said we'll be a top club. It's not going to happen 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

At this point we are aiming to get promoted, not to be in Europe.

Yep, I think we need to be realistic at the moment. We need to walk before we run. We must remember the image of the club is pretty low at the moment on the back of an abomination of a season. First we need to show those days are gone, before any top players would think we are going places again and want to join us for the right reasons. 

At this moment all we have is Dr Xia's words of optimism. Which, although nice for us to hear, mean nothing to everyone else in the football world. So the next season for me is to prove we have come out the other side of the shit storm of the last few years, and things are looking brighter again. If we gain promotion then that is a bonus. I personally think we will be around the playoff places, unless RDM and Clarke can perform a miracle job.

• Like 2

Another 5 players at an average of 5 mill each plus what we just bought and that's a spend of £38 mill. If we're not selling our better players and then maybe getting rid of Gabby, Richards, Kozak, Lescott, Westwood, Guzan, Sanchez, Bacuna,  then we'll have a very strong and hopefully positive squad. 

1 minute ago, sne said:

This is exactly what I expected and I'm fine with the signings. 

More about those thinking we'll sign 20 m players because Xia said we'll be a top club. It's not going to happen 

Yet.

At the moment, I've no reason to beleive Dr X was lying when he said he wanted to make us a top 5 global club, biggest club in China etc. 

It may be wildly optimistic and excitement on his part, time will tell. At the moment though, I reckon he'll be sticking his hand into his deep pockets when we get back to the prem and we could well see some £20-30 mill plus players coming in if we're chasing Europe in the next few seasons.

For the avoidance of any doubt, when I say sticking his hands into his deep pockets, I'm not talking about romantic nourishment on promotion, nor is it a slight on his tailor. I'm refering to the cash he'll spend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Godders said:

Yet.

At the moment, I've no reason to beleive Dr X was lying when he said he wanted to make us a top 5 global club, biggest club in China etc. 

It may be wildly optimistic and excitement on his part, time will tell. At the moment though, I reckon he'll be sticking his hand into his deep pockets when we get back to the prem and we could well see some £20-30 mill plus players coming in if we're chasing Europe in the next few seasons.

For the avoidance of any doubt, when I say sticking his hands into his deep pockets, I'm not talking about romantic nourishment on promotion, nor is it a slight on his tailor. I'm refering to the cash he'll spend.

Sometimes you have to spend cash for romantic nourishment. Just ask a stripper.

I wish some people would get realistic about the type and quality of signings we are going to need to make, as well as the amount of money we have to spend.

I know Dr. Xia mentioned £50m but, when you look at some of the ridiculous sums being asked for and paid this season, it is peanuts, especially when you consider the number of recruits we will need if we are to stand a chance of getting anywhere near promotion.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

3 players in, in positions desperately needed. And this is before RDM has had his week away with the squad. I think we'll see another 5 at least coming in quite quickly after they get back, then those that are leaving will be dealt with last. 

I too think that things will fall much more quickly in to place once they are back from Austria. I think that was always the plan. Didn't RDM even state as much?

I would like to see a couple more experienced championship type heads in there along the lines of Elphick, particularly in the middle of the park. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would be astounded if Newcastle could stump up the £30m+ I would imagine it will take to sign Berahino. 

If Berahino goes this summer it won't be for anywhere near £30m IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't just stay for the last year of his contract at Albion for the season knowing that he'll be a good option on a free transfer next season.

Albion need to offer him a fortune to sign a new contract or they'll lose the £20m or so they might get for him this year. 

What a load of garbage the contract system is... You spend loads on a player and they sign it and if are rubbish then you're stuck with a crap player, if they sign it and are good then they can leave before the end for some money or if they don't go to another club they can hold you to ransom for a new contract or they then leave for free. 

• Like 2

Although it may be unspectacular, we are building properly at the moment. Gollini and Elphick are two very sensible signings, the word sensible and villa haven't appeared alongside each other in years so I'm fine with that. I don't know enough about Tshibola to comment on him. Although he puts in a shift, I'd hope RDM sees Hutton for the defensive and attacking liability that he is. Westwood the same. With a few more additions we aren't far away from being very competitive in this league.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

What a load of garbage the contract system is... You spend loads on a player and they sign it and if are rubbish then you're stuck with a crap player, if they sign it and are good then they can leave before the end for some money or if they don't go to another club they can hold you to ransom for a new contract or they then leave for free. 

Agree with this completely. My post wasn't meant to sound like I approved of the Berahino situation. I just wanted to point out that actually, Berahino joining a team like Newcastle for around £20m is pretty likely if Albion can't get him to sign a new contract. 

I'm not sure whether Albion would get some compensation for him if he did go on a free with his age but no doubt it would be a small fee for his potential. 

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

Agree with this completely. My post wasn't meant to sound like I approved of the Berahino situation. I just wanted to point out that actually, Berahino joining a team like Newcastle for around £20m is pretty likely if Albion can't get him to sign a new contract. 

I'm not sure whether Albion would get some compensation for him if he did go on a free with his age but no doubt it would be a small fee for his potential. 

My post wasn't in contradiction with yours or anything Tom, what you posted just highlighted how stupid the contract system is, and how stacked in the players favour it is! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would be astounded if Newcastle could stump up the £30m+ I would imagine it will take to sign Berahino. 

4 league goals and a shite load of awful performances last season, they can dream on if they expect even half of that sum.