Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Birmingham Mail saying that the keeper should sign today, would have been yesterday but medical results were late. Also Tshibola had talks on Wednesday and is close to signing.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think this is a huge issue within English football generally (not aimed at you John, but you've brought it up) - this feeling of self-entitlement, that English football is the best thing going and nothing else comes close.  Why else would a young player looking to establish himself even consider leaving these shores?!  Madness!

Personally, I'd encourage more young players to go abroad on loan.  Get a different footballing experience and hone skills that aren't as necessary in our tough, fast, English leagues.  If Bamford feels like he's been around the houses in England (which, let's face it, he has) and fancies something different then fair play to the lad.  Nowhere near enough English players or managers have the same bottle - we're absolutely terrible for moving abroad.

Fully agree with this. Good post.

10 hours ago, samjp26 said:

For anybody worrying about a lack of transfers, I think it makes sense for RDM to assess what areas he feels he wants to replace players in or that may need reinforcing. 

Assess last years squad ?  - how long is that going take ? - we won 3 games, couldn't defend, couldn't score. I don't see what seeing the players training will tell him that he doesn't already know. I hope (and suspect) he is further down the line with in-comings than assessing last seasons squad !

I think we're similar (although maybe less so) to the Italians in the respect, they pretty much all play in Italy and you only get the odd ones coming to England, Spain and Germany. (RDM is Swiss thought isn't he!?) Although as you said, I think English players are even less likely to go abroad. 

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I think we'll end up playing Ayew and Kozak up front.

We won't.

In fact I'd say it's more likely that neither of those will be at the club when the transfer window closes.

I think as much as RDM probably already knows who he wants to get rid off and those who he wants to give another chance, he can't bomb them out until he has replacements.

Plus any manager worth his salt would believe he could get more out of players/succeed where previous manager's have failed, and as much as that sound ludicrous considering how bad our squad has performed, would you want that any other way?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think this is a huge issue within English football generally (not aimed at you John, but you've brought it up) - this feeling of self-entitlement, that English football is the best thing going and nothing else comes close.  Why else would a young player looking to establish himself even consider leaving these shores?!  Madness!

Personally, I'd encourage more young players to go abroad on loan.  Get a different footballing experience and hone skills that aren't as necessary in our tough, fast, English leagues.  If Bamford feels like he's been around the houses in England (which, let's face it, he has) and fancies something different then fair play to the lad.  Nowhere near enough English players or managers have the same bottle - we're absolutely terrible for moving abroad.

I have no idea how you managed to read that into John's post.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

I think as much as RDM probably already knows who he wants to get rid off and those who he wants to give another chance, he can't bomb them out until he has replacements.

Plus any manager worth his salt would believe he could get more out of players/succeed where previous manager's have failed, and as much as that sound ludicrous considering how bad our squad has performed, would you want that any other way?

To be honest i pretty much think you're bang on with that. I fear his pragmatic approach is what got him the job.

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He can't sign 25 new players. So he has to figure out which of them can be utilised. 

Agreed - but he will largely be driven by which players we get bids for. That will be key in deciding who stays and goes - not any assessment done by RDM. 

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

To be honest i pretty much think you're bang on with that. I fear his pragmatic approach is what got him the job.

So you agree RDM is the same as any other manager that is confident in doing their job but you turn this to a negative situation? 

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I have no idea how you managed to read that into John's post.

So you managed to embolden that part, but missed "not aimed at you John, but you've brought it up"?

Good work, sir.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we're similar (although maybe less so) to the Italians in the respect, they pretty much all play in Italy and you only get the odd ones coming to England, Spain and Germany. (RDM is Swiss thought isn't he!?) Although as you said, I think English players are even less likely to go abroad. 

Similar, but not as bad at all.  It may partly be down to where the money is - English players get paid a fortune in the Premier League, even the completely average ones.  So therefore moving abroad just doesn't work financially for them.

Euro 2016 Squads comparatively:

England - 0 players playing abroad

Italy - 7 players playing abroad (4 in the Premier League, 2 at PSG and 1 at Sevilla)

47 minutes ago, bobzy said:

In fairness, the point that John was making (I think) is that unless he's aiming at Barcelona or Real/Athletico Madrid (which are way out of his depth), there really isn't much of a challenge coming from elsewhere in the Spanish league. Can you ever see a Spanish side doing a Leicester? In Premier League, the competition is there every week, all the way through the league. It is the strongest league in the world. If you are a young up and coming English player like Bamford, why would you not want to test yourself at the highest level, as opposed to drifting along for a meaningless Spanish side?

Admittedly, Villa aren't in the prem but if a prem side came in then surely that is the challenge that a 22 year old should take, not some mid table Spanish side?

11 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

So you agree RDM is the same as any other manager that is confident in doing their job but you turn this to a negative situation? 

I think RDM said he would work with existing squad. Where as other managers probably wanted a rip up and start again

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I think RDM said he would work with existing squad. Where as other managers probably wanted a rip up and start again

I would be surprised if any potential manager said that the only option is to get everyone out and start again. Each one of them like the original point made would have confidence in their managing ability to get more out of last seasons players. 

If any of them said that, I'm not surprised they never got the job. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

In fairness, the point that John was making (I think) is that unless he's aiming at Barcelona or Real/Athletico Madrid (which are way out of his depth), there really isn't much of a challenge coming from elsewhere in the Spanish league. Can you ever see a Spanish side doing a Leicester? In Premier League, the competition is there every week, all the way through the league. It is the strongest league in the world. If you are a young up and coming English player like Bamford, why would you not want to test yourself at the highest level, as opposed to drifting along for a meaningless Spanish side?

Admittedly, Villa aren't in the prem but if a prem side came in then surely that is the challenge that a 22 year old should take, not some mid table Spanish side?

I don't understand why a title challenge is important all of a sudden?  This is a guy making a loan move somewhere.  It's just about playing football.

r.e: bits in bold, this is pretty much what I'm saying (and, as per my original post, I wasn't aiming anything at John.  He just mentioned the issue).  We're self-important.  The Premier League and La Liga are equally as boring and equally as dominated by the same old teams.  Last season was a huge (5,000/1!) one-off.  It won't be repeated this time round. "Can you ever see a Spanish side doing a Leicester?" :crylaugh:

Further, why is a mid-table La Liga team worse than a mid-table Premier League team?  Sevilla just won the Europa League for the third time in a row.  Our sides are tripe in European competition?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So you managed to embolden that part, but missed "not aimed at you John, but you've brought it up"?

Good work, sir.

Glad you approve!

I've now emboldened the bit of the quote that would lead any rational being to believe you were drawing the point you made from the comments in John's post.

If this was not in fact a comment on anything said in John's post...err, why did you attach the comment to...John's post?

:unsure: