Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

This seems to get thrown about a lot - "Westwood doesn't pass forward".  Is there anything to back this theory up?

According to, for example, WhoScored - Westwood attempted more Long Balls per game than anyone outside of Brad Guzan, Mark Bunn and Carlos Sanchez.  Similarly, in terms of "Key Passes", Westwood is behind only Veretout for the amount attempted per game.  I can't imagine these statistics indicate balls being hit sideways?

He PROBABLY only attempts sideways passes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

There is actually some considerable doubt about who is the better player. I for one haven't a clue who is better but is it really worth debating?

It was relevant and we are on an Aston Villa forum so... Yes :P.

I think the clue to Westwood's passing is encapsulated in the word. 'attempted'.

As for the highlights video, what was it, a dozen successful passes in 4 seasons.

Just about the same ratio as his successful tackles, freekicks and corners. (success at these two being clearing the first defender).

Has anybody seen this?

From a newcastle fan on twitter by the looks of it, even if he has rejected us I hope it's true because offering  £68kpw shows extreme ambition. 

Thomas Clements ‏@t_clements  8m8 minutes ago

Reliably informed Jesus Gamez snubbed an £68k p/w contract offer from #AVFC. Has taken paycut to join Newcastle United. #NUFC

Gamez: "For me, Aston (Villa) are of no interest. I took paycut to sign for (Newcastle) United. I am delighted to be here."

Edit: very unsure of reliability

Edited by avfcwills10

8 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

Has anybody seen this?

From a newcastle fan on twitter by the looks of it, even if he has rejected us I hope it's true because offering  £68kpw shows extreme ambition. 

Reliably informed Jesus Gamez snubbed an £68k p/w contract offer from #AVFC. Has taken paycut to join Newcastle United. #NUFC

Gamez: "For me, Aston (Villa) are of no interest. I took paycut to sign for (Newcastle) United. I am delighted to be here."

A more positive spin for us is that it appears Daryl Janmaat's future is in the balance.  So this is 6 of one...

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I've been looking for these sort of stats for ages on our players.  Where did you find them?  Are they listed across our team?

whoscored.com gives you them.

It's been used before to disprove the "Westwood only passes backwards" myth.

Whatever you think about his ability, that statement is demonstrably false.

Edit: in fact it was me who used it on one occasion, here

Edited by Stevo985

20 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

Has anybody seen this?

I would  be very sure of the reliability of a story that has us paying £68k pw 

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I love this new found rivalry with Newcastle...if only to further negate the reason for sha to exist!

Yes, I wonder could we formalise this by handing in our notice to SHA and tell them we're moving on to bigger and better bitter rivals. It will be good for both of us etc...

• Like 3

spanish bloke wants to play for rafa, gives it the big un about a pay cut and turning us down

he'll have made some friends with that, the reality is he's 31, struggled for games a t atletico, £68k a week on a 4/5 year deal isnt actually that good a deal...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't.  They're a **** nothing club.  They've conjured this rivalry out of the most tenuous of reasons.  The fixture list meant we relegated them.  It could have been anyone else.  So Newcastle's newest 'rivalry' was purely by chance.  We don't care about them, or at least we shouldn't care about them.  The fact they care about us - and the fact Norwich similarly care about us - should be something we laugh at.

You have really missed the point of that post BOF:)

43 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

Has anybody seen this?

The guy is a wind up merchant.  He just sticks the bait out and waits for bites on twitter.  

Those "quotes" are recycled from his "ITK" about their two signings last week.

Just now, Nigel said:

You have really missed the point of that post BOF:)

Sorry, I'm angry at the moment.  I'll revisit :D