Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

14 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Huddlestone may be sluggish but other than that he's better than Westwood at almost everything else. He has a good range of passing, can deliver from set-pieces is also very hard to knock off the ball, can win headers and has a foot like a traction engine.

Westwood can only pass sideways, can't shoot, can't deliver from set-pieces, is weak and can't win headers. I don't see how that makes him a much better player.

Westwood works harder, is more creative, a better link up player, better vision, more well rounded and has greater scope for improvement. 

Westwood is premier league quality. Huddlestone is championship quality.

Edited by Michael118

13 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Westwood works harder, is more creative, a better link up player, better vision, more well rounded and has greater scope for improvement. 

How can he be considered creative? Westwood hardly ever passes the ball forward so the only "vision" you're referring to is looking for his full-backs when he's out of options. At best he's someone to keep a move going because he rarely loses possession and I do agree that he has more scope for improvement purely because he's the younger player.

I'm not saying Huddlestone is a great player, nor that we should sign him. Just that he is definitely the better player of the two. Without a doubt.

• Like 1

Westwood is poor, and £6m sounds like a very fair price to me. That said, there are a few lads i would like to see leave first, so for me i lt depends on the wider plans for restructuring the midfield. 

If RDM plans on bringing 2 or 3 in, and moving 2 or 3 out, fine, get rid. But if on the first day of season we still have Sanchez and Bacuna on sat on the bench (or god forbid in the first 11) after letting westwood go, then I'm not sure. 

7 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

How can he be considered creative? Westwood hardly ever passes the ball forward so the only "vision" you're referring to is looking for his full-backs when he's out of options. At best he's someone to keep a move going because he rarely loses possession and I do agree that he has more scope for improvement purely because he's the younger player.

I'm not saying Huddlestone is a great player, nor that we should sign him. Just that he is definitely the better player of the two. Without a doubt.

Plenty of forward passes and examples of vision and creativity here. In a more proactive team he would show it more regularly and would look a much better player than he does for us.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael118 said:

Plenty of forward passes and examples of vision and creativity here. In a more proactive team he would show it more regularly and would look a much better player than he does for us.

Kinda hard to prove your point with a highlight reel mate, might pop the Tonev one in here as an example :lol:.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Kinda hard to prove your point with a highlight reel mate, might pop the Tonev one in here as an example :lol:.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Tonev premier league highlights reel if you have one...

6 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Tonev premier league highlights reel if you have one...

It's more of a Vine than a fully fledged video. Didn't he do a Cruyff turn once?

15 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

anchorman-brick-o.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

They are both shit. Any team with ones of these labouring clowns in it won't be winning many PL games.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

This seems to get thrown about a lot - "Westwood doesn't pass forward".  Is there anything to back this theory up?

According to, for example, WhoScored - Westwood attempted more Long Balls per game than anyone outside of Brad Guzan, Mark Bunn and Carlos Sanchez.  Similarly, in terms of "Key Passes", Westwood is behind only Veretout for the amount attempted per game.  I can't imagine these statistics indicate balls being hit sideways?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

This seems to get thrown about a lot - "Westwood doesn't pass forward".  Is there anything to back this theory up?

According to, for example, WhoScored - Westwood attempted more Long Balls per game than anyone outside of Brad Guzan, Mark Bunn and Carlos Sanchez.  Similarly, in terms of "Key Passes", Westwood is behind only Veretout for the amount attempted per game.  I can't imagine these statistics indicate balls being hit sideways?

The best thing is, somebody has posted something against JPAngel's claims, yet he dismisses them. But he won't be able to provide any evidence that 90% of his passes go backwards :D

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

The best thing is, somebody has posted something against JPAngel's claims, yet he dismisses them. But he won't be able to provide any evidence that 90% of his passes go backwards :D

Losing battle mate :lol:. In short, I don't want Huddlestone and I'd be happy to let Westwood go for a reasonable price. I don't rate him particularly and I want players associated with this point in our timeline out the door if possible.

10 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

It's more of a Vine than a fully fledged video. Didn't he do a Cruyff turn once?

I think I vaguely recall that. 

In all seriousness though he wasn't given much of an opportunity here and neither was Sylla. I thought they were raw but was a bit disappointed we didn't persist with them especially Sylla.

3 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I think I vaguely recall that. 

In all seriousness though he wasn't given much of an opportunity here and neither was Sylla. I thought they were raw but was a bit disappointed we didn't persist with them especially Sylla.

They were both out of their depth, to be fair.  Where is Sylla these days?

• Like 1

I reckon that's because they were absolutely awful :lol:. Tonev and Sylla are up there with DIdier Agathe and Mathieu Berson as some of the worst players to put on the claret and blue in the last decade.

Just now, bobzy said:

They were both out of their depth, to be fair.  Where is Sylla these days?

No idea but I thought he was decent enough when he played. We could have used him at the end of 13/14 when we needed a similar player and he was sitting on the bench. I would have liked to see more of him.

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

There is actually some considerable doubt about who is the better player. I for one haven't a clue who is better but is it really worth debating?