Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

10 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

6 million for player with over 100 games in pl is not a lot when you consider were on the verge of spending 5 million for a player who has played 16 games in the championship. 

We did pay £2m for him but it was 4 years ago, what a steal that was

I see no reason to sell Westwood for 6m.  He's a player who always gives 100%, and he can do a job as a squad player.  We're apparently not desperate for cash so let's keep him.  I'd like to see how he performs in the Championship too.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Bear in mind he's one of our more experienced midfielders with 100+ prem games under his belt

Not saying he's anything more than average but who would we replace him with 

Anybody! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I see no reason to sell Westwood for 6m.  He's a player who always gives 100%, and he can do a job as a squad player.  We're apparently not desperate for cash so let's keep him.  I'd like to see how he performs in the Championship too.  

id rather not ;)

its like Watford turning down that bid for Ighalo, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to sell him :P

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

id rather not ;)

its like Watford turning down that bid for Ighalo, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to sell him :P

Are you not a fan of Westwood then? I still think he's a quality player, he should thrive in the championship next season, he knows the league

• Like 1

It's like Zatman excellently said, it might be best to move him on because whether it's his fault or not, his presence in the Villa team has been synomous with a very bleak period for the club. And the club needs a fresh start. I do think he's a good player though.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he be 27 by end of next season, I think his time has passed for him as a Premier League player and not potential anymore

He's a lower end PL player but we aren't in the PL so no point in selling him now unless replacement lined up. I'd agree next summer we should look to replace him but Westwood will be good in Championship. It'd also give Tshibola time to grow and get used to playing regular. 

• Like 1

It's a 46 game season.  We're going to need depth in all positions.  Selling Westwood would be silly given that he's a solid Pro who will do a good job at that level.  Competition for places is a good thing.  I don't think anyone really wants him in the starting 11, but you don't get promoted from that league without a capable squad and unless we can sign a better player for 6m,  who will settle down straight away and give 100% every game I see little point in selling him.  

• Like 2

I'm counting on us getting at least 2 more midfielders in as it is, (Tshibola being the first?) if we are serious about promotion.

More if anyone is sold (Westy, Sanchez, Bacuna, Sinclair...) which I hope we manage to.

Our current midfield is probably impossible to build a functioning unit from, we need pieces that may actually fit together,

Edited by sne

36 minutes ago, useless said:

It's like Zatman excellently said, it might be best to move him on because whether it's his fault or not, his presence in the Villa team has been synomous with a very bleak period for the club. And the club needs a fresh start. I do think he's a good player though.

Not a bad point this. What's quite bleak is, when you consider he's played more than 100 PL games, how many of these do you think we've won? A dozen? It's certainly not more than 20. 

I'm not saying this is all, or even mainly, Westwood's fault, but he could hardly be called 'essential' with that record. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm counting on us getting at least 2 more midfielders in as it is, (Tshibola being the first?) if we are serious about promotion.

More if anyone is sold (Westy, Sanchez, Bacuna, Sinclair...) which I hope we manage to.

Our current midfield is probably impossible to build a functioning unit from, we need pieces that may actually fit together,

I would think the interest in Ravel Morrison is pretty genuine and can see him signing in the next week or so. That will leave us with some pretty decent attacking options from midfield.

Hopefully Adama stays as we don't really have much natural width in the squad, but I would be happier if a properly experienced pro could come in to form part of the new spine.   

Still want us to sign Nick Powell and one of Pritchard or Tom Carrol. Then either Bamford (my preference) or McCormack and maybe Wilson from Man Utd. Oh and maybe one or two more. Rico Henry, Morrison. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Westwood is on £40k a week, £6m is a perfectly fine fee for him and we're already reinvesting it back into a 21 year old with a lot more potential. I'm game.

Edited by samjp26