Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

reply from my Bournemouth friend regarding Elphick "too slow for the Premiership but excellent championship player and Captain".. A silver lining to Bournemouth staying up

Edited by Trizo

1 minute ago, Trizo said:

reply from my Bournemouth friend regarding Elphick "too slow for the Premiership but excellent championship player and Captain".. A silver lining to Bournemouth staying up

Too slow even for Scotland? That would be concerning.

Some players are excellent at Championship level but not quite good enough for the premier league, particularly if after promotion that team wants to push on and improve. 

At this moment in time I'd be happy to take players like that. We can always re-evaluate after promotion. 

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A front 4 of Traore, Grealish, Bamford and Gayle wouldn't be too bad...

I'd go as far as to say that a front 2 of Bamford and Gayle would be right up with the better front pairings in the championship.

Neither would be cheap, and both coming from the Premier League (i know thats a stretch for Bamford in terms of PL appearances) really would signal a statement of intent. I'm not one to normally give a toss about how much a bloke costs, but i think we need a couple of big signings to show the fans that the club views this season in the championship as nothing more than a pit stop.

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'd go as far as to say that a front 2 of Bamford and Gayle would be right up with the better front pairings in the championship.

Neither would be cheap, and both coming from the Premier League (i know thats a stretch for Bamford in terms of PL appearances) really would signal a statement of intent. I'm not one to normally give a toss about how much a bloke costs, but i think we need a couple of big signings to show the fans that the club views this season in the championship as nothing more than a pit stop.

I agree.  A couple of big signings would also send a signal to the players - those we want to keep here and also those we want to bring to the club.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I agree.  A couple of big signings would also send a signal to the players - those we want to keep here and also those we want to bring to the club.   

Agreed. Its also sends a signal to the bums that are currently on the books that the lunatics no longer run the asylum. 

As much as would love the club to get rid of the majority of last season's squad, i also acknowledge thats probably impractical. Like it or not there will still be some of the undesirables in the squad next year and they need to know that this is a fresh and professional set up, and that they need to shape up or ship out. 

In fact it might even convince a couple that they need to leave. 

21 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

@av1 agreed, we need a marquee signing to signal our intent. Nothing like a high profile transfer to get us excited and show the world we mean business.

The importance of which i really don't think can be underestimated. There has been a black cloud over VP for a number of seasons now, the losing mentality set it and we all knew it was a matter of "when" not "if" we were goimg down, and unless that changes we will find it very difficult. 

It sounds simple, but a couple of big signings would galvanise the fan base and that atmosphere could change pretty quickly. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

The importance of which i really don't think can be underestimated. There has been a black cloud over VP for a number of seasons now, the losing mentality set it and we all knew it was a matter of "when" not "if" we were goimg down, and unless that changes we will find it very difficult. 

It sounds simple, but a couple of big signings would galvanise the fan base and that atmosphere could change pretty quickly. 

Definitely, Villa needs to be united for once and a big signing would go a long way to helping that happen. Without it, I fear we'll end up with the fans complaining about our lack of ambition again. There's no guarantee a big name signing will work but the lift it will give the fans will lift the players, which in turn will bring positivity to Villa Park again. 

At a quick 10 minutes on google I'm really liking the sound of Tommy Elphick.

STEVE Cook revealed how right-hand man andCherries captain Tommy Elphick had acted as an inspiration during his formative years in Brighton’s youth ranks.

The defensive duo has teamed up for every Cherries league fixture so far with neither player missing a minute of Championship action ahead of today’s home clash with backmarkers Blackpool (3pm).

Seagulls youth recruit Elphick, almost four years Cook’s senior, established himself as a first-team regular for the Sussex outfit at the age of 19. 

And Cook, who began his pursuit of a professional career at Brighton a year later at the age of 17, lifted the lid on how he had aspired to emulate Elphick’s “natural leadership” and insisted those same traits had provided the cornerstone for a strong Cherries dressing room.

Cook told the Daily Echo: “As a scholar, Tommy was the kind of player I looked towards because he had got to where every young player wanted to be.

“He was the example because he had proved it could be done. Fortunately for me, I was able to follow in his footsteps and I suppose you could say he then followed in mine by coming down to Bournemouth.

“I have known Tommy for a long time and respect him a lot, as a player and as a person. We have a good partnership on the pitch and a good friendship off it.

“Towards the end of last season we put together some good performances as a pair and we have carried that over to this season.

“He has always been a very big character on the pitch, at training and in the dressing room. He was the one that kept everyone together when we had our little blip. That is what you need from a captain and everybody looks up to him.”

Since becoming re-established as Eddie Howe’s first-choice centre-half partnership during February last season, Cook and Elphick have formed an inseparable bond to aid the club’s push for Premier League football.

And while Cook admitted Cherries’ emphasis on attractive football had added to the pair’s defensive duties, he tasked the whole team with finding a formula for more clean sheets during the end-of-season run-in.

Cook added: “The open game we play sometimes makes it more difficult for us but I know Tommy's game inside out and he knows mine. I would like to think we can get each other out of trouble if and when it arises.

“It comes down covering each other's backs and that includes the full-backs because you always have to expect the unexpected at this level.

“Now is a crucial time of season. We’re in these last 10 games and we need to keep more clean sheets than we have lately but confidence is high and we know we have the quality to compete with anyone.”

Here.

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

In which case I'm pleased I didn't get it :D

You've not lived mate :P

220px-Michael_Elphick.jpg

I believe Nick Powell is a Villa fan?

What these players often need is a consistent run in a side, where they can flourish. I think the same for Gary Gardener, but obviously they need to stay fit too.
He'd be a good signing in my opinion.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

He did indeed. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2773118/Who-Premier-League-star-It-looks-like-used-support-Aston-Villa-plays-Premier-League-rivals.html

Powell posted the message with the tagline: 'Guess I liked Villa back in the day. Worldie haircut!' 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mwj said:

Love the pictures of Gabby in this article. He looks as clueless in a nightclub as he does on a football pitch. #thickaspigshit