The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

This group of players will never fit in with Remi's vision of how a football team should function.

Even with 100% effort and application it's painful watching them move the ball about slowly and not able to turn possession into chances.

We haven't got the players composed enough to move the ball quickly under pressure.

Eventually we get forced into a mistake.

• Like 1

I want Remi to stay - partly because I like him, partly because I fear the alternatives.  And as others have said we can't afford to have another period of assessment for the current players.  Ideally, Fox, Reilly and Almstadt will be replaced before the window and a new, experienced recruitment team will be in place to deliver what Remi needs and ship out the crap.

Having said that, it's time for Remi to ring the changes.  5-3-2 isn't any good.  We're down and getting hammered.  It's frightening to think that the starting team from the last 2 games can be better than any other options at the club, but even if so it's still time to sacrifice 'talent' (and I use that very loosely) for hunger.

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

and if he gets us relegated next season(which is very possible) we should keep him until he gets to season 3?

Its funny that when Sherwood was manager, we had a decent squad but poor manager, but now Garde is manager its the players that are crap. The manager has to accept some responsibility for not getting the players to perform. Maybe he is no motivational qualities, no experience, and is out of depth here.

• Like 3

We need Randy to sell the club so we have a new structure in place. We need to sell / mutually terminate contracts of a fair few players. We need to KEEP Remi and let him try and build the squad he wants/needs to carry out his style. It might mean a few seasons in the Championship while we steady the ship and put the pieces in place, but I'm willing to accept that if it means a brighter future for the club.

• Like 3

Just now, PaulC said:

Its funny that when Sherwood was manager, we had a decent squad but poor manager, but now Garde is manager its the players that are crap. The manager has to accept some responsibility for not getting the players to perform. Maybe he is no motivational qualities, no experience, and is out of depth here.

He's not blameless, but there has to be a point where you draw the line and stick with a manager.  He may not be the right man, but he deserves a proper chance.  If he goes and Bruce comes in, how long does he get?  2 months, 6 weeks?

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe but Nigel Pearson kicking the shit out of them on the pitch is actually probably our best option at moment :( they might even hand in transfer requests 

our best option is probably the person who will slap them around the most.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Palace - Norwich, aside from the City cup debacle, we were playing some good stuff. That's a 7 game period in which we arguably displayed "mid table" form. 

Then Liverpool. Tools downed again. 

Yes we were 12th in the league form over the 5 games.  Then no players in, club gave up, players gave up after that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KHV said:

It worries me when he says things like there are many problems at the club how ever my management isn't one of them, he seems to have a belief that nothing is down to him however if the majority of the players are questioning the training methods and match preparation and then not performing on the pitch then I'd say there is a fair old chance that there is a massive problem with his management. The majority of problems at the club are not down to Garde but he certainly hasn't/isn't helping at all.

Well that might be true but i suggest starting with the bigger problems first.  1.Board 2. Shit players 3. Then maybe Garde if it turns out he is the problem when the first 2 are fixed.

ah yes.... the training methods.

When did we have that problem last? That's right: Houllier. If I remember back then, the players revolted against the methods that expected them to run, watch their diet and actually put in effort. Especially when the former manager was Martin "Take the day off" O'Neil.

Couldn't be a parallel between then and now with Garde following Sherwood?

Nah... coincidence!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

ah yes.... the training methods.

When did we have that problem last? That's right: Houllier. If I remember back then, the players revolted against the methods that expected them to run, watch their diet and actually put in effort. Especially when the former manager was Martin "Take the day off" O'Neil.

Couldn't be a parallel between then and now with Garde following Sherwood?

Nah... coincidence!

Same fitness coach, as well.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

He's not blameless, but there has to be a point where you draw the line and stick with a manager.  He may not be the right man, but he deserves a proper chance.  If he goes and Bruce comes in, how long does he get?  2 months, 6 weeks?

Yes I agree up to a point but for me he hasn't shown enough to deserve a chance to lead us next season in the championship. Give him to the end of the season and if the results and performances continue as they are then we need to make a change. We cannot afford to get this wrong next season and find ourselves in aother relegation battle. Other people further up the chain are more responsible but we can't get rid of Lerner unless someone coughs up the cash.

2 hours ago, Ulver said:

If someone could tell me how the manager is supposed to get players playing well when they clearly don't have any desire to i'd love to know

Fear and Respect.

Neither of which Remi Garde has because he is a weak little man.

Edited by rodders0223

5 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I have seen this mentioned alot. He was given money, the keeper he wanted couldnt get a work permit and the striker opted to go elsewhere. Thats not the same as not being given money to spend.

it's the same roster.

Could have the striker been offered more and changed his mind?  Did Remy only have two players in the entire universe he wanted?

42 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Fear and Respect.

Neither of which Remi Garde has because he is a weak little man.

can someone name someone who has been successful in the Premier League in the past 10 years using the fear and respect method of player management?  I think that method worked 20 years ago.  Haven't seen it successfully employed in a long, long, time.

If we'd gone down last year there's no doubt Sherwood would have been hammered for it. Yet Garde has been given a free pass. 

There's no point just sticking with someone because we like him, or just for the sake of keeping him. We need to have a manager that will give us the best chance of promotion. Garde is showing nothing to suggest he's that man. At this moment it's hope and faith. 

We're not a charity for nice guy managers. If Remi can show he's the right man then great but keeping him would be poor IMO. There's no way he has a good relationship with the majority of the squad and there's no way we will be replacing the majority of the squad 

So chances of it clicking next year seem slim right now. Especially with Garde's negative approach, I can't see how that will help us. 

I know we're desperate for likeable characters at this club but surely talent and ability are more important. 

• Like 2

Â