The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

can someone name someone who has been successful in the Premier League in the past 10 years using the fear and respect method of player management?  I think that method worked 20 years ago.  Haven't seen it successfully employed in a long, long, time.

The perfect example was Fergy who was very successful

• Like 1

So we basically want/ need the players gone (some), the manager replaced, Lerner out and all the rest dumped( Fox, Reilly etc) keeping the kit man, tea lady, ticket office staff and grounds man. 

Then we can concentrate on coming back up! VTID! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The perfect example was Fergy who was very successful

interesting, I would argue that Fergy adapted his methods quite a bit and utilized fear as a motivator much less in the latter years of his career.

26 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

So we basically want/ need the players gone (some), the manager replaced, Lerner out and all the rest dumped( Fox, Reilly etc) keeping the kit man, tea lady, ticket office staff and grounds man. 

I heard the tea lady isn't showing any desire either. Tweeting pictures of her tea trolley after games then claiming it went off in her pinny by mistake

• Like 4

My bad then, I thought you were talking about managers gaining respect because of the fear they instilled from ruthless actions or outbursts.  But if we need to hire a manager with respect in the sense of multiple championships, then Fergy and Wenger, and maybe Maurinho might be it.  Which of them do you suggest?  

If I was conflating your opinion with one more similar to this posted above "We need that type of character, an arsehole, to get these players by the scruff of the necks and sort them out. "  I do apologize.  I just don't think that style of "management" works in today's world.  It wouldn't make me do better at my job... it would make me sit down, quit, and consult a solicitor, if not the police.

Please understand, I am completely frustrated that Garde has been unable to stir any passion or desire in the players... but I don't know what would work.  A bomb squad under Lambert didn't scare anybody into playing with passion.  The "good buddy" approach of Sherwood didn't do it.  The "beat them into submission" approach would just end in court. Clearly the "cerebral, organize first" approach hasn't worked in the long term.  (It may have been making modest improvement till the transfer window showed the club had given up.)   If you bench all that don't try or make stupid mistakes you have nobody on the roster.  I'm out of options other than playing the kids, but I think we can all see that there is a significant long-term risk to that attempt as well.  Personally, my guess is that Garde will start playing 3-6 from the youth every match once we are mathematically down.  Especially against weaker opposition.

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

it's the same roster.

Could have the striker been offered more and changed his mind?  Did Remy only have two players in the entire universe he wanted?

The striker was offered more but went to Sunderland instead. We couldnt even sign Debuchy on loan. The club did try to sign players, we don't know how many but even Garde said it was difficult because of the league position. 

How is that the same as not being backed.

Well, it's a sad truth that it's far easier for a club to move on a manager from a failing team than the players. That's why managers are sacked so frequently while players have more choice about when and where they go.

It would be odd in my view to want to get rid of a lot of the players, and the board, while insisting on keeping a manager who will most likely have the worst record of any Villa manager ever by May. Also one with nothing on his CV to suggest he can mastermind a successful championship campaign.

Based on not much as far as I can see, except he does a cool press conference and says he knows how to get us playing better.

• Like 3

He's on borrowed time. It's just a waiting game now. 

He's clearly lost (or never had) a few players and those who are still at least trying, aren't good enough. 

If Hollis can get the man he wants for next year now, he should do it. It would at least give us a head start in one area for next season. 

A heavy defeat against Spurs and another effortless performance and I think he might walk. 

26 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

The striker was offered more but went to Sunderland instead. We couldnt even sign Debuchy on loan. The club did try to sign players, we don't know how many but even Garde said it was difficult because of the league position. 

How is that the same as not being backed.

i didn't say it was the same as not being backed.  I said it was the same roster.  Regardless of the reason, the roster that desperately needed improvement got none.  

How much support he got from board is the question.   Are you arguing that the higher administration did everything reasonably possible to better the squad?  If so, why were they unable to accomplish that pretty essential goal?  Other teams in poor status were successful... other teams in dire straits in previous years were successful in adding to a woefully week roster.  It seems to me that the administrative side was either uncommitted or inept.  

I think the more we observe the inept performances, the more it becomes obvious we need to have faith in a manager that realises that the current crop are an embarassement to the professional game.If we replace RG, the next bloke will come in and give Gabby/Westwood/Sinclair/Richards/Lescott et al, another chance, and in 6/12 month time we will be in exactly the same position as we are now.

Keep RG, and give him the tools.

• Like 3

Having listened to Danny Murphy on Talk Shite it is pathetic how much players just stop listening the manager and wait for them to be sacked. As others say it is easier to pay off the manager than get rid of several players.Personally I'd rather get rid of the bad apples and see what Garde could do in a better situation with a new owner- but that is probably not going to happen.

16 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

i didn't say it was the same as not being backed.  I said it was the same roster.  Regardless of the reason, the roster that desperately needed improvement got none.  

How much support he got from board is the question.   Are you arguing that the higher administration did everything reasonably possible to better the squad?  If so, why were they unable to accomplish that pretty essential goal?  Other teams in poor status were successful... other teams in dire straits in previous years were successful in adding to a woefully week roster.  It seems to me that the administrative side was either uncommitted or inept.  

Not saying that at all as I stated we don't know how much he was backed and I too would use the word inept. 

We still see even on this page posters saying he wasn't backed, and factually that is incorrect.

Just now, mykeyb said:

Not saying that at all as I stated we don't know how much he was backed and I too would use the word inept. 

We still see even on this page posters saying he wasn't backed, and factually that is incorrect.

Fair enough, although I think it be argued that he wasn't backed enough.  

13 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I think the more we observe the inept performances, the more it becomes obvious we need to have faith in a manager that realises that the current crop are an embarassement to the professional game.If we replace RG, the next bloke will come in and give Gabby/Westwood/Sinclair/Richards/Lescott et al, another chance, and in 6/12 month time we will be in exactly the same position as we are now.

i don't accept that a new manager would give them another chance. Anyway its one thing wanting them out its another getting rid of them

10 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I think everyone knows that we have a bunch of players who we would do well to shift and quick. However can you or anyone who thinks RG should stay give me 3 reasons why as I would love to know.

For me he has persisted with formations that have consistently not delivered, played Lescott after the Twitter fiasco and made him captain, never been ambitious enough in trying to win games, admits he cannot motivate players yet still plays them andhas won 2 league games all season - not a CV that gives me any confidence he can get us promoted at the first attempt and if we don't come straight back up were screwed.

• Like 1

Â