The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Ange Postecoglou manages the Aussie national side and delivered them their first ever Asian Cup in 2015.

Before that he briefly managed (arguably) the biggest club down here (Melbourne Victory) before taking on the national side.

Before that he managed Brisbane Roar and had them not only winning the A-League premiership/championship but setting records for unbeaten runs along the way.

Now it wasn't all roses for Ange. When he started at Brisbane Roar part way through a horrid season heading for the wooden spoon he met BIG resistance to his methods/style and training. Players complained long and loud, even to the press. Some of the experienced players even left of their own accord and Brisbane Roar finished second last in his first season (no relegation down here).

Sound familiar?

So how did he turn it around? Did he do something different? Did he change what he was trying to do with the squad he had?

Nope. The club backed him to root out the trouble-makers and replace them (usually with lesser quality / low experience / inexpensive players) so he could get them all pulling in the same direction. The rest is history.

Now that's a lovely story and has little to no bearing on Remi Garde and Aston Villa apart from 2 points:

• You can't judge a manager on "half" a season in a struggling side
  • You must be prepared to back your manager's judgement - else what's the point?

Remi has already been stiffed once in January. If the same is done over the summer, he has to walk cause he'll get nowhere with this squad next year.

I'd say both those points didn't truly apply to Tim Sherwood but we were happy for him to go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'd say both those points didn't truly apply to Tim Sherwood but we were happy for him to go. 

Agreed. He merited more time after escaping relegation the season before.

After all, it was his squad and - let's face it - it couldn't have been any worse (in terms of league position) than where we are now.

38 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Agreed. He merited more time after escaping relegation the season before.

After all, it was his squad and - let's face it - it couldn't have been any worse (in terms of league position) than where we are now.

This is hindsight. And you ignore the fact that confidence was shattered under Sherwood's watch.

I have to say though, on reflection I've been really disappointed with Garde so far. I expected and hoped for much much more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

This is hindsight. And you ignore the fact that confidence was shattered under Sherwood's watch.

I have to say though, on reflection I've been really disappointed with Garde so far. I expected and hoped for much much more.

Yes, it's hindsight. At the time I was happy for Sherwood to leave.

And Garde's results have been disappointing - as has his latest formations and selections - though he is less polarizing than Sherwood.

I think he's currently clutching at straws in a hopeless situation. Still, I get the feeling he knows what he wants, but has been hung out to dry by the board and the players.

Looks like Remi's got mates in the media as well:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-manager-remi-garde-11005945

So much so that French newspaper L'Equipe states that Noël Le Graët, the President of the French Football Association, wants Garde in a Technical Director with the national team.

Despite a dwindling popularity at Villa Park , Garde is still very fondly thought of in France.

So much so that his former assistant Bruno Genesio has publicly stated that he misses working with Garde and they 'will have to' work together again.

Genesio was appointed as manager of Lyon after Hubert Fournier's brief stint replacing Garde.

Now with Genesio's future as manager uncertan, the French media is talking up a return for the under-fire Villa boss.

I guess its a bit of tit-for-tat for the Steve Bruce bullshit that came out yesterday, probably leaked by one of the senior players like Gabby

Garde has to win 7 games now in a row to get to same amount of wins as the crapper manager Tim Sherwood did in his time at Villa. Garde has been a disaster and quite frankly lets be honest a hypocrite, their would be uproar if Sherwood was still in charge and he was picking Lescott and RIchards over Okore,

I remember the Gil drama last season when we were winning games under him :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sherwood picked up how many of those wins with Benteke, Delph etc?

He picked up one win with the same players as Remi. He also lost pretty much every game.

He picked up 3 wins with the current crop just like Garde including a derby win which I couldnt see under current regime. Fact is Garde is not even better than Sherwood who come on here have labelled not a manager but Garde is.

The man is a joke and makes our club look bad with his excuses after the games. Reminds me of Lambert when we go again

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He picked up 3 wins with the current crop just like Garde including a derby win which I couldnt see under current regime. Fact is Garde is not even better than Sherwood who come on here have labelled not a manager but Garde is.

The man is a joke and makes our club look bad with his excuses after the games. Reminds me of Lambert when we go again

No no no...remi is dignified, professional and intelligent....whether he is a good manager only time will tell...but time is what he needs to sort this mess out.

The club is made to look bad by lerner, tom fox & his cronies, & most of all, some of those jokers on the pitch. Some of this seasons performances by certain players has made us a laughing stock. 

I've said it before & will say it again, if the manager goes before the majority of these 'players' do, we will be in serious trouble next season.

remi is dignified, professional and intelligent

then why does he continue to play his favourites Richards and worst of all Lescott, the man has treated him like shit on number of occasions yet he seems our 1st choice pick in the squad

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Give it a rest.. we all know your opinion.

Try and contribute some news or something instead

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Define "backed"? 

We pulled out of a deal for Khazri because we wouldn't pay the fee/wages. I would suggest that is him not being backed. I would suggest that is the factually correct description for it. 

Either way, they hardly went balls out to back their man. Not only are they inept, but they are piss weak. Pathetic owner, incompetent board, just **** farcical all round. 

I suspect the level that the manager was to be backed was reduced by the time we got half way through January, now we can all argue the merits on that, would 2 or 3 players meant we stopped up? hard to say.

Clearly Gardes attitude changed towards the end of January and the performances which had been at a decent level tailed off....

He continues to play players who clearly dont give a feck and thats a big issue in my opinion.

If he thinks Gabby isnt giving his all in training or on the pitch then drop the bastard and play one of a younger players, give them a chance. How can that end up worde than sticking with the crap that arent doing it currently?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

then why does he continue to play his favourites Richards and worst of all Lescott, the man has treated him like shit on number of occasions yet he seems our 1st choice pick in the squad

Who else does he play?  He's basically picking our most experienced defenders.

Hands tied.

(Also, lol at "Fact is Garde is not better than Sherwood")

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Who else does he play?  He's basically picking our most experienced defenders.

Hands tied.

(Also, lol at "Fact is Garde is not better than Sherwood")

mm Okore, recall Baker and use them 2 and Clark for rest of season as at least them 3 will actually try. Maybe not releasing Senderos might have helped as well

Â