The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

33 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

That's presuming a lot of things. That they would choose the right manager, that there is money to spend, that the manager would get to spend it how he would want to without interference.

Spending money isn't the answer said Hollis, think it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Its also presuming that a manager is going to leave his club and join us which unless we're looking at non league managers, I doubt anyone would jump.

There is no gain to be made by making a hasty decision now, just to gain a little pride this season-its gone way past that. We need to wait until the summer and see who is where and who is realistically available

The problem for me is that Garde has done nothing to merit keeping his job next season, the players aren't playing for him, performances have got worse rather than better. We are now at an all time low in terms of confidence.

• Like 4

Do people really think any potential owner was going to part with 150 mil to buy us this season. If I was in that position I would wait till we were relegated then turn up at Lerners desk with a big bag containing 75mil cash. Then he will be really tempted to cut his losses and run. New owner gets parachute money and gets to invest a serious amount to get us back up and gets 75% of new tv deal money. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

The problem for me is that Garde has done nothing to merit keeping his job next season, the players aren't playing for him, performances have got worse rather than better. We are now at an all time low in terms of confidence.

He's done nothing for me either and I think its gone too far for him to turn it round.

To suggest sacking him now is just ridiculous. It will cost us money in severance and to achieve what?

Can't believe he is still here. The little reputation he had is now getting seriously damaged. 

As for new managers; we won't even get someone like Bruce if Lerner is still around. The experienced ones will avoid us with this owner.

I think they should sack him now and some how get a manager in who can motivate this lot. It would be too late to create any sort of system or game plan so it would need some one that can some how get some fight out of these players.  The honeymoon period that sometimes comes with a new manager. 

What's Di Canio up to these days? :)

2 hours ago, settle villa said:

Do people really think any potential owner was going to part with 150 mil to buy us this season. If I was in that position I would wait till we were relegated then turn up at Lerners desk with a big bag containing 75mil cash. Then he will be really tempted to cut his losses and run. New owner gets parachute money and gets to invest a serious amount to get us back up and gets 75% of new tv deal money. 

I have to admit I agree with this. We will get taken over on the cheap next season. In the long term relegation may be the best thing that ever happened to us. 

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

50 odd million was wasted the in summer, so he cant be blamed for that can he?

Definitely not.
Continuing to support that £50m dross and ignoring an opportunity to keep them on their toes, well that one is on him. And I don't care how bad the kids are, stick three on the bench, take out some first teamers and tell them to watch from the stands. Could've. should have been done months ago.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think they should sack him now and some how get a manager in who can motivate this lot. It would be too late to create any sort of system or game plan so it would need some one that can some how get some fight out of these players.  The honeymoon period that sometimes comes with a new manager. 

What's Di Canio up to these days? :)

That's the real problem, isn't it? Unless they're somehow able to ship them out en masse and bring in some real professionals you'd need either:

1) someone able to scare/browbeat them into participating. Cannot see that working with modern multi-millionaire players. Agent/media phone calls just bound to happen. Possibly some interesting sideline antics/aggro, though.

2) a real top class manager, that even those shirkers will have to respect. Cannot see that happening either. Too few and far between, and wildly expensive even if they would deign to come to the current Villa.

And in both scenarios, you actually have to be able to bring in some new - and good enough - players so there is a genuine threat to their perceived guaranteed 1st 11 spot.

IIRC, when Garde came in, he actually managed to get the current squad to appear as a team after a while, and they appeared to play for him... And then the January window closed with no players incoming that would be able to supplant their position. And at the flick of the switch, normal sub-standard service was resumed...

Edited by TB
hopefully for clarity
  • Like 3

My fear is that we go from one manager to another hoping they will eventually get it right. The latest rumour is Steve Bruce which is going to go down like a lead balloon with many if true, whereas others may say, he has a proven record in the Championship and be placated for another while. It just goes round and round and imho nothing will change under Randy Lerner, Fox etc as the Business Strategy is wrong. The club is broken and they don't know how to fix it

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

He's done nothing for me either and I think its gone too far for him to turn it round.

To suggest sacking him now is just ridiculous. It will cost us money in severance and to achieve what?

It will give us a head start on preparations for next season, way it is Garde will be gone after season anyway and knowing the clowns running the club wont have a successor ready until mid pre-season

• Like 1

He's got the squad where their ability and attitude was going to take them: Dead last. I honestly don't believe any other manager would be able to get anything from this lot - and sticking a bunch of kids in isn't a viable solution.

Had he been backed in Summer with a few players he wanted that could echo his own professionalism then I'd be more willing to write Remi off. As it stands, though, he gets a free pass from me this season.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

He's got the squad where their ability and attitude was going to take them: Dead last. I honestly don't believe any other manager would be able to get anything from this lot - and sticking a bunch of kids in isn't a viable solution.

Had he been backed in Summer with a few players he wanted that could echo his own professionalism then I'd be more willing to write Remi off. As it stands, though, he gets a free pass from me this season.

I think I'm with Oz.  But I have to say, his inability to instill some professional pride into the squad is quite disappointing.

• Like 1

Why would Steve Bruce come here when he is on track to get promoted with Hull? Makes very little sense. Nonsense really. I would try Moyes as I could see him being interested but supposedly Newcastle have him lined up. My guess is we would have to pay yet again compensation for a manager in the summer. The circus goes on.

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Why would Steve Bruce come here when he is on track to get promoted with Hull? Makes very little sense. Nonsense really. I would try Moyes as I could see him being interested but supposedly Newcastle have him lined up. My guess is we would have to pay yet again compensation for a manager in the summer. The circus goes on.

The Euros might give us some options....I wonder if MON would come back ;)

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Â