The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

It is a circular argument and I am sure others have said it but unless the owner goes, the manager is of secondary importance. All of our efforts should be made into making Lerner to  find a acceptable offer from a respectable potential new buyer and selling up. Nothing else matters.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is a circular argument and I am sure others have said it but unless the owner goes, the manager is of secondary importance. All of our efforts should be made into making Lerner to  find a acceptable offer from a respectable potential new buyer and selling up. Nothing else matters.

The opposite for me. Because the owner may NOT go the Manager will be the only hope we have.   We need a Manager who can succeed despite all the mess, not one who needs the mess removed first.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

While the owner remains it doesn't mean you should accept an underperforming manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The opposite for me. Because the owner may NOT go the Manager will be the only hope we have.   We need a Manager who can succeed despite all the mess, not one who needs the mess removed first.

Ah yes but a good enough manager which can succeed despite the clusterf**k around him, would not touch us with a barge pole until a change of ownership. We will end up with Neil Warnock and a £5 mil player budget next season, unless Lerner goes.

• Like 1

Whoever comes in as manager will have the same problem until the ownership is changed.

No proper funding and when a gem is unearthed (ie Benteke, Young, Milner) they'll be sold off and the money disappears before having chance to replace those players properly.

Ownership needs to change.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Under sherwood we had a shit manager and shit players who made 6/7 changes a game, complete different formations, mind blowing subs and stupid comments all week because he blatantly made it up as he went along

Don't get me wrong I don't think garde knows how to put this right (I don't think anyone can) but we aren't getting knee jerk reactions, we aren't getting panic, we aren't getting bullshit from him...we're just kind of getting nothing...I think he's settled us down and now the reality of the players going through the motions is there for all to see

It's sad in my head that fans and no doubt the press are inevitably starting to question him, I don't see how you watch today and think of remi rather than call Richards every name under the sun, and then you can say "drop Richards then" for who?

I don't think he's the answer, but at the same time I definitely don't think he's the question we should prioritise right now either

Bits in bold in turn..

We are getting regularly beaten with woeful performances in terms of spirit, desire, attitude, aswell as the expected lack of quality.

A Manager cant conjure quality, but he has a fair bit of responsibility for attitude etc.  It is this  reality of 'going through the motions' that is the biggest indictment that can be laid at Gardes door.  He hasn't been able, apart from one spell, to find 11 players in the whole Club who will run through walls for him.

Again, because Remi is the guy charged with getting selection, tactics, motivation, hunger, desire, and spirit right.  Richards is just the most obvious example of how he is not doing so.

He is the single biggest actionable priority...

Lerner out, yes, (when ?)...

Players out, yes, (when?, contracts, etc),.

.somebody in who can at least get those basics from at least 11 guys at the Club  - yes, when ?....well don't leave until the summer when he can only watch in training.  So either Garde - (but inclining towards not for me for the reasons here) or someone else for at least the last 6/7/8 games.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ah yes but a good enough manager which can succeed despite the clusterf**k around him, would not touch us with a barge pole until a change of ownership. We will end up with Neil Warnock and a £5 mil player budget next season, unless Lerner goes.

"Good enough" for what ? (For my view, last paragraph).

As regards "wouldn't touch us with a bargepole" - most lower League Managers will view us as a win win.....expectations zero, excuses already built in (see Garde support main reason), glory if they crack it.

I'm afraid your view of Warnock belongs, IMO, to another life.  He may well be exactly what we need, we are no longer the mighty Aston Villa, we need anyone, anyone, who will firstly, stop us freefalling, secondly, consolidate us in the Championship at worst, thirdly get us competing for the play-offs or more.  Warnock happens to be better suited for that than many more famous guys, we cant afford to be fussy as Villa fans any more.

No manager was going to make a big difference to this season. But I do think the right manager can have an impact next year. You only have to look at the scum to see that. 

Lerner is the root of all evil and needs to go, but that doesn't mean Garde gets a shit load of free money each month. Losing in the way we have been means he should not be given the chance to bring us back. 

We will be able to attract a decent manager for championship level. 

19 minutes ago, terrytini said:

"Good enough" for what ? (For my view, last paragraph).

As regards "wouldn't touch us with a bargepole" - most lower League Managers will view us as a win win.....expectations zero, excuses already built in (see Garde support main reason), glory if they crack it.

I'm afraid your view of Warnock belongs, IMO, to another life.  He may well be exactly what we need, we are no longer the mighty Aston Villa, we need anyone, anyone, who will firstly, stop us freefalling, secondly, consolidate us in the Championship at worst, thirdly get us competing for the play-offs or more.  Warnock happens to be better suited for that than many more famous guys, we cant afford to be fussy as Villa fans any more.

We will always be the mighty Villa to me. 'We are not talking about a mere business. This is Aston Villa Football Club and deserves nothing but the best.'

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

No manager was going to make a big difference to this season. But I do think the right manager can have an impact next year. You only have to look at the scum to see that. 

Lerner is the root of all evil and needs to go, but that doesn't mean Garde gets a shit load of free money each month. Losing in the way we have been means he should not be given the chance to bring us back. 

We will be able to attract a decent manager for championship level. 

I think we need to be a bit more thoughtful. We need someone with talent who has long term potential to be successful (for us) in the premier league. I don't just want someone 'proven' at Championship level but rather someone who is at once that and has a lot more upside in terms of potential. 

I'd honestly give serious consideration to someone like Gary Rowett, I think he has a lot of potential. Or, if Middlesbrough don't go up, I'd poach Karanka. One thing I'm sure about is that I do not think Garde is the man for the task. 

15 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Define what you mean by a strong manager? These are experienced players not kids.

A strong manager probably wouldn't have made Lescott captain after the Liverpool game tweet fiasco

He doesn't deserve anything, he is shit.

So you want to sack Fox, Almstadt and Reilly for being under qualified, but also sack the most over qualified manager since Houllier and inside 4 months?

Only on VT... *slow clap*

The fact Garde is not Sherwood, seems a nice bloke and is French seems to be enough to placate a lot of fans, even in the face of the recent spineless performances, which are as bad as as anything seen in recent times. The fact Garde is now throwing the players under the bus every week is confirmation in my eyes he wants out

I'm not absolving the players either, majority are a bunch of words removed who deserve to be horsewhipped. New manager, (another) new start for next season please. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mwj said:

So you want to sack Fox, Almstadt and Reilly for being under qualified, but also sack the most over qualified manager since Houllier and inside 4 months?

Just out of interest, what makes Garde over qualified?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mwj said:

Is he more qualified than mcleish? He did well in scotland, got a team promoted and won a cup. Yes he's also had plenty of shit moments but I don't think Garde is somehow miles more qualified than him. 

And being more qualified than Lambert and Sherwood really means **** all. I'm sure there's shit leftbacks out there that are still better than Richardson but it doesn't mean we should sign them and play them regardless of their performance. 

And the fact you had to try and mock others with a stupid slow clap on a forum shows how weak your argument truly is. 

Â