The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Is he more qualified than mcleish? He did well in scotland, got a team promoted and won a cup. Yes he's also had plenty of shit moments but I don't think Garde is somehow miles more qualified than him. 

And being more qualified than Lambert and Sherwood really means **** all. I'm sure there's shit leftbacks out there that are still better than Richardson but it doesn't mean we should sign them and play them regardless of their performance. 

And the fact you had to try and mock others with a stupid slow clap on a forum shows how weak your argument truly is. 

Yeh "he is shit" is robust. Was just returning the favour

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Is he more qualified than mcleish? He did well in scotland, got a team promoted and won a cup. Yes he's also had plenty of shit moments but I don't think Garde is somehow miles more qualified than him. 

And being more qualified than Lambert and Sherwood really means **** all. I'm sure there's shit leftbacks out there that are still better than Richardson but it doesn't mean we should sign them and play them regardless of their performance. 

And the fact you had to try and mock others with a stupid slow clap on a forum shows how weak your argument truly is. 

McLeish also did brilliantly with the national team. Garde really is not 'overqualified' at all, complete nonsense. We picked up a guy who did a decent job at Lyon, who left for personal reasons but also on the pitch he wasn't doing well enough in his final season anyway, and then was on the shelf for over a year working as a pundit. So hardly an 'overqualified' candidate.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

The opposite for me. Because the owner may NOT go the Manager will be the only hope we have.   We need a Manager who can succeed despite all the mess, not one who needs the mess removed first.

I am with Fun Factory on this. If Lerner stays we will be struggling for mid-table mediocrity in the Championship. While he remains the deterioration will continue, no matter what changes are made to the manager and back room staff.

I agree with Mantis.We need a Eddie Howe kind of manager, who has a long-term plan, a system , a structured idea.I believe RG has , but he has players like Gabby, Westwood,Lescott, Clark, N'Zog etc, who haven't got the abilty or intelligence to play the system that RG has suggested he would like to play, a bit like Spuds play under Pochetino if you like.None of the above players have the mobility, intelligence, understanding to play such a way, thats why i think we should give him the time, and more importantly , the support to do it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I am with Fun Factory on this. If Lerner stays we will be struggling for mid-table mediocrity in the Championship. While he remains the deterioration will continue, no matter what changes are made to the manager and back room staff.

I don't really disagree. Although I'd say rowett is proof that a decent manager can make a difference to a terribly ran club at that level. 

But even if that's true, we can't just pay a manager lots of money and have no expectations of what they should achieve. We already pay a lot to certain players who do **** all, doing that with a manager as well would be a poor decision IMO. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mwj said:

"A few years in France" :)

You realise Lyon was the biggest and most dominate side in France for more than a decade recently, and they achieved that through their youth academy, one of the most respected in the world, and that Remi was in charge of both at various points.

What had Sherwood, Lambert, or Mcleish done previous to Villa? An under 18 team at Spurs, a promotion from the Championship and the **** SPL.... Not quite the same.

That's why he deserves at least ONE transfer window IMO

from the team that dominated only Benzema and Govou came from the academy. Players like Remy had to leave to get 1st team football. Lyon was no different than Bayern Munich by buying all the best players from competition and wasting huge money on players like Makoun and Keita`

from the team that dominated only Benzema and Govou came from the academy. Players like Remy had to leave to get 1st team football. Lyon was no different than Bayern Munich by buying all the best players from competition and wasting huge money on players like Makoun and Keita`

So they won 7 titles in a row and only 2 players came from the youth team, ok.

I can see about 10 players in this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympique_Lyonnais_Reserves_and_Academy

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Anyone expecting him not to be the manager next season is going to be disappointed. We were down when he took over and it's clear from the lack of backing in January that the board believed that too. He was brought in to restructure the club and get young players through. He will get a chance to bring in his own players next summer. 

God help us then if this is true we will be in for a long long rocky road out of the championship into leauge one. He is out of his depth Full Stop. 

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Sack Garde, get Pearson in, not backed financially, stuck with the same players who are dribbling morons paid millions regardless of performance who don't listen to or play for Pearson. We lose loads.

Sack Pearson, get Rowett in, not backed financially, stuck with the same players who are dribbling morons paid millions regardless of performance who don't listen to or play for Rowett. We lose loads.

Sack Rowett, get Allardyce in, not backed financially, stuck with the same players who are dribbling morons paid millions regardless of performance who don't listen to or play for Allardyce. We lose loads.

Sack Allardyce, get Hiddink in, not backed financially, stuck with the same players who are dribbling morons paid millions regardless of performance who don't listen to or play for Hiddink. We lose loads.

Sack Hiddink, get Guardiola in, not backed financially, stuck with the same players who are dribbling morons paid millions regardless of performance who don't listen to or play for Guardiola. We lose loads.

Ad infinitum under an owner who won't invest and players who don't care as long as they get their £150-200,000 a month regardless of performance.

No

Managers run teams and manage and coach players!

agree we need new owner but the current coaching set up is not good enough!

• Like 2

I will not agree to to changing the manager yet again, just because the players can't be arsed to be coached in his style of play.

The biggest issue this half of the season is that we have not got a proven striker and Remi was not aloud to bring any of his own players in.

I will admit, Remi don't get it right every game, though what managers do. But these players to me are proving time an time again that there are really no grounds to sack Remi.

• Like 3

I am completely fed up of having a new manager every few months. The cycle of someone coming in, giving the likes of Gabby, Hutton, N'Zogbia, Sinclair a 'fresh start' only for them to turn out to still be rubbish and lose patience just before they are sacked.

Garde took too long to settle. Sherwood was sacked because "The Board has monitored the performances closely all season and believes the results on the pitch were simply not good enough and that a change is imperative" - which suggested that they believed the players weren't performing as they should be and the manager was at fault. Whether their opinion on that is true or not doesn't really matter - but they clearly felt Garde would and should be doing better that Tim did. Under Remi, we became worse for much of the time he has been manager. Because of his poor start, the club has been virtually relegated since the end of December. With that in mind and Remi not performing at a level that was expected of him it is not a surprise he was not given funds in January - it was looking like he'd be sacked anyway so why repeat mistakes of the past and end up stuck with players that a previous manager wanted? I'm not saying what they did was right - far from it - but I can kind of understand it if this was the reasoning even if I don't agree with it.

I wouldn't feel too easy if we appointed someone like Pearson, Monk or any of the ones that have been mentioned. I'm completely sick of this managerial cycle we are going through. I trust the people making decisions on who to employ as much as I would trust Adam Johnson at a High School disco. BUT. Garde has contributed to our downfall this season this season and does not look like he can even arrest the slide.

I'm used to losing regularly. That's fine. But losses have snowballed into thrashings. Every week. Top clubs, mid table clubs, whoever we are playing. We are being thrashed what feels like week in, week out. It's all very well pointing fingers at the players - but these are players who are good enough to be expected the keep the score below 3-0 once in a while. The way the team is set up, the motivation, team spirit, the manager plays a bit part in this and he's failed. He's even admitted he has failed to get his points across to the players.

I worry about next season's efforts. There are often two games in a week. Whenever this has happened under Garde, we find ourselves playing the players not seen as good enough for the first team (!) in one game for 'fitness' reasons. Every other team manages it - but Villa - we throw away games playing Richardson, Sinclair, Clark etc. That Norwich away game was vital - and to 'rest' players as he did was a fundamental error. We can't go through half the games next year throwing them away playing under-strength teams.

I also worry about other poor decision making that he has shown, in particular, the move to become even more defensive in the past few weeks that has resulted in us letting in more goals. To play defensively, surely you need to have a goalkeeper who is capable of saving the odd shot and a defensive that knows how to defend. To invite that pressure leads to disaster. Similarly, having impressed on us how fragile confidence was, to then play a weakened team against Man City in the cup after we had finally hit up a bit of form and built a bit of confidence back up completely killed off any positive vibes we had built up when we were thrashed (again). 

Despite that fragile confidence, he's also thrown his players under the bus with a number of ill-judged comments. Shouldn't we be building a siege mentality to fight against the situation we find ourselves in?

I haven't seen one thing that makes me think Garde has what this club needs to get us out of the Championship and because of that I hope he leaves and I hope it's done giving us plenty of time to organise the summer ahead. He's a nice guy, but all I seem from him is what we saw with Tim Sherwood - except its a French accent and not a cockney one.

Do I think it'll improve the team? Probably not as I don't trust the total dicks in charge of recruitment at the club. I notice one newspaper mentioned Steve Bruce today. Boy if that was true they really don't learn do they? But Garde leaving would at least give me a little hope that perhaps things might turn around next year - which at the moment I don't have. And hope is the only thing that we have to cling on to at the moment. It'll probably last as long as this summer when it turned out the players that were bought were all merde - but its hope all the same.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 1

You have a read through the Owner/board threads and all are useless rubbish vastly under qualified for their roles. 

You have a read through all the players threads and they all league 1 standard with stinking attitudes. 

Come into the Remi Garde thread and its a disgrace that he isn't doing better. 

Remarkable. 

8 hours ago, YGabbana said:

Yeah pointless sacking him now. Lets just keep losing and shipping goals for the 9 games left and sink the confidence even lower and make us a laughing stock.

Good shout-I never thought of that.

Yes-Lets sack him, throw away another couple of million in wages that would be better spent in the summer and put Sid Cowans or Kev Mac in charge-That's worked well in the past.

We may even hit 25 points. If we really put a run together, we could possibly hit 19th spot instead of 20th.

What possible gain is there to be had by sacking a manager with 9 games left to go? Who do you think would come in, in any case? & would you sack him at the end of the season also if results don't go our way.

• Like 1

I am not one for sacking Garde with 9 games to go, but if I was told at work tomorrow that he had walked I wouldn't be too disappointed.  Still think there is a real good manager in there but everything seems to have transpired against him being successful here.  

• Like 1

Good shout-I never thought of that.

Yes-Lets sack him, throw away another couple of million in wages that would be better spent in the summer and put Sid Cowans or Kev Mac in charge-That's worked well in the past.

We may even hit 25 points. If we really put a run together, we could possibly hit 19th spot instead of 20th.

What possible gain is there to be had by sacking a manager with 9 games left to go? Who do you think would come in, in any case? & would you sack him at the end of the season also if results don't go our way.

Sack him and get a manager with championship experience in now so he has the 9 games plus a full pre season. Has time to look at players and decide who he wants rid of.

Keep Garde and keep getting humiliated week in week out and become even more of a laughing stock and then he walks at the end of the season.

I know which option id go for

47 minutes ago, av1 said:

You have a read through the Owner/board threads and all are useless rubbish vastly under qualified for their roles. 

You have a read through all the players threads and they all league 1 standard with stinking attitudes. 

Come into the Remi Garde thread and its a disgrace that he isn't doing better. 

Remarkable. 

Ive seen lower league squads worse than ours come to Villa park and beat us,its not always about what youve got but how you use it.

• Like 4

The likes of Richards, Lescott, gabby an co. wouldn't listen to Pearson, an he would probably lose the dressing room pretty quick.

I think we need to understand the problem is the club itself, an the culture within. If there is no discipline from the top (like its been since Lerner bought the club) its hard to work with your employees, in any job. Its a culture at Villa, that is known, an its one of the easiest football clubs to play for, players here have been getting away with half arsed performances for years.

O'Neil paid average players huge salaries for the time, an expected the best out of them nothing else, that's how he got away with it, under Lerner

Edited by foreveryoung

5 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Sack him and get a manager with championship experience in now so he has the 9 games plus a full pre season. Has time to look at players and decide who he wants rid of.

That's presuming a lot of things. That they would choose the right manager, that there is money to spend, that the manager would get to spend it how he would want to without interference.

Spending money isn't the answer said Hollis, think it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Â